Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,554,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Australia is a big enough landmass to count, especially given the prevailing westerlies. Even in as small an island as Barbados the hills in the center of the island cast a cloud and rain shadow over the resort-heavy areas of the western part of the island, near Bridgetown.
The Australia-Tasman sea interactions spin up a lot of tricky stuff. Re actual cloudiness, the more sheltered parts of NZ record up to 2500 hours per year (manual C-S measurement), not that much less than Sydney which is at a lower latitude and has a huge landmass to its west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 AM

240 posts, read 251,130 times
Three climates that I would consider "jokes" are those of Lima, Mecca, and Reykjavik. The extreme aridity of the first two is an abomination to begin with, but it's more insulting in Lima where it's so damn cloudy and humid throughout the year, but the lack of precipitation (other than coastal fog and the rare light shower) leave the landscape looking like the moon.

Reykjavik's climate suffers for being a middling, sub-tundra climate without any extremes. B-O-R-I-N.G.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:41 AM

6,479 posts, read 6,111,234 times
The Atacama Desert. So cloudy, yet dry as a bone.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:57 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,554,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
The Atacama Desert. So cloudy, yet dry as a bone.
False!!!!!! Coastal regions are relatively cloudy by desert standards, but annual normals there still range from 2400 hrs at Arica to 3000 hrs at Antofagasta. Inland of course is extremely sunny. Refer the thread on Calama!!

Old 11-08-2016, 04:16 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,922,180 times
Lol, what the ever living **** is this? How is it more sunnier when it rains?!?!?!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manta,_Ecuador#Climate

Old 11-08-2016, 04:27 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,478,115 times
I think this one is pretty absurd too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow...fornia#Climate

45 km from Eureka of all places at 40.56 N, only shielded by a 700 metres high mountain and summers are 35 C so near the ocean with green temperate forests all over the place... Even the interior behind Vesuvius of Campania is cooler than that in terms of summer highs...

Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 AM

30,131 posts, read 20,843,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
What are your rainfall averages for the summer and the year? Tarpon springs got above average rainfall for the month of august with 12 inches of rain, only 12 days without any rain and july was around average with 8 inches of rain. More than half of the days had some sort of rain. June was an inch below normal but still averaged 5.3 inches

June, July, and August had 25 inches of rain, that is quite alot of rain! If you are 12 miles north of tarpon springs you live in a very dry microclimate , the Gulf certainly wasnt dry this summer for most places.
Like i said before.

I had around 4" in June and 2.3" in July. Then got around 24" from around Aug 5ft till Sept 5ft. Then the rest of Sept and Oct were very dry. I get more rain in the winter most times than i do in the summer.

So the core summer months June to Sept was around 32".

So if it were not for the first part of Sept it would have been another super dry summer.

Here are my rainfall amounts. As you can see, after the first week of Sept it went bone dry sly.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,823,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Lol, what the ever living **** is this? How is it more sunnier when it rains?!?!?!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manta,_Ecuador#Climate
What the hell? This climate is like a prank gone wrong or something. Lmao.

Good find btw.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:03 AM

15,197 posts, read 10,158,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Everyday? No place in the state has rain every day in the core summer months. The weather always will vary day to day in timing and direction. I am right on the gulf 12 miles north of Tarpon springs so i would say a good 100+ miles north of you. I can go weeks without rain in the summer while people just inland of me see rain much more than i do on avg when we are stuck in a reverse west wind flow.

I got 12 summers of records showing how dry i am and i am happy to post pics of them anytime.

We have rain almost EVERY DAY in the summer. That's why in SW Florida it is called the rainy season. I've been here on an off since 1960 and yes the weather patterns have changed a bit. Used to be in the summer it would rain the exact same time every day, you could almost set your watch to it. These days the rain is more unpredictable but it is very rare in the summer not to have rain every day. Perhaps it is different in Tarpon Springs since you are 100 miles north of Fort Myers. Even our weather forecasters were saying this September was one of the rainiest in years.

Now this time of year aka our "dry season" we can go weeks and weeks without rain. And since I live in SW Florida and you don't I'm certainly not going to argue about how much rain we get in my area. Look it up on Google if you don't believe me.

"With an average annual rainfall of 53.58 inches, the state of Florida gets 14.4 more inches of rain than the national average (39.17 inches) Fort Myers has had an average rainfall of 55.93 inches over the last 30 years, which is 43% more than the average nationwide, and 2.35 inches more than the average in Florida."

Old 11-08-2016, 07:17 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What the hell? This climate is like a prank gone wrong or something. Lmao.

Good find btw.
I swear, South America has a bunch of retarded climates that we don't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I think this one is pretty absurd too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow...fornia#Climate

45 km from Eureka of all places at 40.56 N, only shielded by a 700 metres high mountain and summers are 35 C so near the ocean with green temperate forests all over the place... Even the interior behind Vesuvius of Campania is cooler than that in terms of summer highs...
...I actually find this one alright LOL

Summer nights could be warmer though, geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather