Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:02 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Why are both summer and winter warmer in Uppsala?
Summers aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 11:24 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
In our heat wave in 2014 we had 26/12 in July in Örebro and it still felt kinda hot during nights since the daytime heat was 'crammed into the walls' during the 31/14 days that were ever frequent for some time.

How was it for you in Umeå that summer with your very warm morning temps et cetera?
I've never noticed a night outside being too warm in my life, be it in Umeå, France or wherever. In 2014 I remember that it would be 15-20'C if I were to bike home around and past midnight, which was a bit chilly but enough so I didn't get too cold in my t-shirt. For outside temperatures, I don't see why anyone would want anything below 20-22'C really, especially if it's night and the sun isn't warming. I did, however, notice that our apartment was very warm even though our balcony was open 24/7, and it could feel a bit oppressive during some days since the air blowing in through the windows didn't make things colder, but we didn't have AC or fans in our apartment so that's an easy fix. And that hasn't to do with night temperatures either really.

When it comes to sleeping, I'm totally fine with high room temperatures. During cold winters, my room temperature drops to 22-24 degrees, which I often feel is too cold when I wake up. Rest of the year, I usually have about 25 degrees, and during summers, especially 2014, I simply use less of my blanket when I sleep - no big deal.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:28 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Summers aren't.
Uppsala 1981-2010 vs Turku 1981-2010

July 22.7/12.5 vs 22.3/12.6
August 21.2/11.5 vs 20.5/11.6

In other words very similar summer nights but Uppsala edges it out due to warmer days!

Old 11-09-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Summers aren't.
Uppsala is not as much warmer in summer compared to the winter, but the summer months still have about 0.5'C warmer highs in average.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Great Lakes and Stockholm's UHI are far too far away from Uppsala for them to have any impact on Uppsala whatsoever... I mean the Baltic Sea is like 4 times closer than the relatively small water body of Vänern. Archipelagos don't stop Stockholm either from being warm/mild, albeit Stockholm does have a rather large UHI. And sure, Turku has a massive continent to the east, but why doesn't it just have a more continental climate then? Why are both summer and winter warmer in Uppsala?
Turku on the other hand has nothing to stop the cold bleeding down from the north. Very small differences in elevation, no lakeland like in Eastern Finland, and the sea doesn't help that much as Turku is in a small narrow bay.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Well the UHI of London would certainly contribute to the scorching seaside summers in Gillingham for example. Of course the air coming out of an UHI is warmer and travelling from the south while inland it can sustain for quite a bit (see also Lund's extreme summers vs Malmö).

Old 11-09-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Well the UHI of London would certainly contribute to the scorching seaside summers in Gillingham for example. Of course the air coming out of an UHI is warmer and travelling from the south while inland it can sustain for quite a bit (see also Lund's extreme summers vs Malmö).
I don't really get what kind of point you're trying to make. Lund is warmer than Malmö in summers because it's slightly further inland, not because Malmö's warmth is blowing onto Lund. Also, if "seaside" Gillingham reaches 23.3'C highs because of London, why doesn't the seaside city Southend-on-Sea do that? They're both about the same distance from London. I say it's because Gillingham isn't so "seaside". It's quite a bit of "fake" sea away from the real sea. Also, the "fake" sea that's there only takes up about 45 degrees of "FOV" from Gillingham, so there's actually quite a bit of land around the city.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I don't really get what kind of point you're trying to make. Lund is warmer than Malmö in summers because it's slightly further inland, not because Malmö's warmth is blowing onto Lund. Also, if "seaside" Gillingham reaches 23.3'C highs because of London, why doesn't the seaside city Southend-on-Sea do that? They're both about the same distance from London. I say it's because Gillingham isn't so "seaside". It's quite a bit of "fake" sea away from the real sea. Also, the "fake" sea that's there only takes up about 45 degrees of "FOV" from Gillingham, so there's actually quite a bit of land around the city.
Lund would be warmer than Malmö anyway, but Copenhagen/Malmö probably bring 0.2-0.3 C extra, especially since Lund is too small to sustain a massive UHI itself.

Southend is slightly farther away from inner London and also more exposed due to its longer coastline around it. But having said that, these differences are probably no more than 0.2-0.3 C.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Denver,Co strikes me as a suprisingly good climate.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Lund would be warmer than Malmö anyway, but Copenhagen/Malmö probably bring 0.2-0.3 C extra, especially since Lund is too small to sustain a massive UHI itself.

Southend is slightly farther away from inner London and also more exposed due to its longer coastline around it. But having said that, these differences are probably no more than 0.2-0.3 C.
Look, either way, Stockholm's UHI is far lesser than that of London's. Stockholm is also much smaller in area, and Uppsala is also much farther away from Stockholm than Gillingham. Uppsala's own UHI will have a much much higher impact than that of Stockholm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather