Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What climate zone would you classify Indianapolis, Indiana?
Subarctic 2 10.53%
Semi-Arid 1 5.26%
Humid Continental(Hot Summers) 12 63.16%
Humid Continental(Warm Summers) 3 15.79%
Other/Not Listed(Please specify which climate zone) 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:57 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Is this a trick question...
No this isn't a trick question, I just want to know other people's opinion as to what climate zone Indianapolis falls into in their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 02:01 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
What a god damn fail of a poll.

Subarctic with summers that average 67 F in September and never gone below 30 F in the that month???
Semi-arid with 42.44 inches of rainfall???
Warm-summer with July with a 74.5 F mean???
No option for humid subtropical when Köppen classified it as such???

I'd call it subtropical-leaning semi-continental given that it is in the zone that gets some snow cover but lacks a reliable one. It is more of a Dfa than St Louis and Louisville, but less than Chicago.
The reason I did not include the "Humid Subtropical" option is because many modern climatologists prefer to use the 0C threshold rather than the -3C threshold that a few climatologists still use, as for the other reasons for this being a failure of a poll is because I realize that there may be more broad opinions than my own.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:02 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
So now anywhere that doesn't have constant snow cover is subtropical? Lol
I swear it's one extreme or the other with the people on this forum. It's either if the climate drops below 70 F even one time in the entire year it's not subtropical because it's too "cold", or if it doesn't receive 500 million cm of snow a winter it's subtropical because it's not cold enough to be continental. Lol.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:27 PM

808 posts, read 710,480 times
I think it's a solid Dfa - under my system, it's a CFBA, translating to a humid continental climate (albeit on the warmer end).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I consider Indianapolis in my climate system Chb (Humid Temperate Hot Summer), Temperate which requires the warmest month have a mean 74.0°F+, is a zone between Subtropical and Continental in my system
^ Another gem from the FC1220 climate classification. You should make a map of the world's climates per your classification.

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 11-11-2016 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-11-2016, 02:27 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I swear it's one extreme or the other with the people on this forum. It's either if the climate drops below 70 F even one time in the entire year it's not subtropical because it's too "cold", or if it doesn't receive 500 million cm of snow a winter it's subtropical because it's not cold enough to be continental. Lol.
And still I called just it semi-continental with subtropical leanings ffs. In effect a hot-summer climate with a winter between 2 and -3.

Some people are just hopeless when jumping to conclusions

Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
The reason I did not include the "Humid Subtropical" option is because many modern climatologists prefer to use the 0C threshold rather than the -3C threshold that a few climatologists still use, as for the other reasons for this being a failure of a poll is because I realize that there may be more broad opinions than my own.
But subarctic indicates a climate where the soil is frozen like half the year, and a semi-arid climates doesn't have frequent massive summer thunderstorms

It's certainly a heck lot closer to subtropical than subarctic that's for sure. Heck even the mild-summer and four-season climate I live in is some way above subarctic with five months above 50 F...

Old 11-11-2016, 02:55 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Quote:
And still I called just it semi-continental with subtropical leanings ffs. In effect a hot-summer climate with a winter between 2 and -3.

Some people are just hopeless when jumping to conclusions
What subtropical leanings does Indianapolis have? It's just a continental climate on the warmer end of the spectrum, nothing else.

Continental scale:

Indianapolis - warmer end of spectrum

Minneapolis - middle of spectrum

Winnipeg - colder end of spectrum

Old 11-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
What subtropical leanings does Indianapolis have? It's just a continental climate on the warmer end of the spectrum, nothing else.

Continental scale:

Indianapolis - warmer end of spectrum

Minneapolis - middle of spectrum

Winnipeg - colder end of spectrum
Summer means at 24 C/75 F
Winter daytime highs above freezing by some margin
Only one month below even -0.2 C in mean temps
7 months above 10 C.
Usually neither July nor August fall below 12 C all month
Subzero nights are quite unusual

Of course it is highly continental in many aspects, but to say downright not subtropically influenced would be false.

Also where would you place a climate like mine on the scale?

23/13 July and high 0/-5 in January

Warm or middle end? Should one stricly look at annual temps for that? Yearly mean here is around 7 C, whereas Indianapolis is almost 12 C, Minneapolis at 8 C but obviously with much colder winters than we have. Would it still be fair to lump together Eastern Sweden and Minneapolis in spite of our climate being such maritime?

Old 11-11-2016, 04:51 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,214,849 times
C

Old 11-11-2016, 05:05 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
What a god damn fail of a poll.
The OP is obsessed with the climates of Indianapolis and Minneapolis. Dude has been making threads on them since like 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather