Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one can grow more subtropical vegetation?
Juneau 4 30.77%
Pittsburgh 8 61.54%
Both similarly 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 04:12 PM

395 posts, read 80,288 times

Advertisements

Juneau is Cfc Subpolar Oceanic, while Pittsburgh is Cfa humid-subtropical bordering on Dfa hot-summer-humid-continental. The hardiness zone of Juneau is 7a while Pittsburgh’s 6b. I know both are a bit cold for most of the exotic subtropical vegetation, but I want to know what you guys think, but also I need valid information. Pittsburgh still fits the winter short of continental, Juneau’s coldest month average is slightly higher than Pittsburgh, but Juneau’s winters are longer and its summers are way cooler while Pittsburgh’s technically hot summers. Juneau is on the Temperate rainforest biome bordering close to the boreal biome, while Pittsburgh temperate deciduous forest biome. Pittsburgh overall is warmer, and eventhough the coldest months average colder and are probe to more extremes, they can have days reaching 60°Fs(16-21°C) if possible, while Juneau would struggle to get above in winter 45°F(7°C). Pittsburgh summers reach 80-90°Fs it is even possible for 100°Fs highs while Juneau struggles to go above 75°F. Summer nights in Juneau also are typical 10° or lower than Pittsburghs. Juneau has a higher hardiness zone, but receives lots of snow. Tell me. Please don’t only vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 06:27 PM

In Pittsburgh Sabal minor, needle palms, southern magnolia, Ilex opaca(American holly), Musa Basjoo, Trifoliate oranges, crepe myrtles and more can be grown. So after all maybe Pittsburgh, though in Juneau Sabal minor, needle palms and some hardy palms can be grown.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:03 AM

82 posts, read 68,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
In Pittsburgh Sabal minor, needle palms, southern magnolia, Ilex opaca(American holly), Musa Basjoo, Trifoliate oranges, crepe myrtles and more can be grown. So after all maybe Pittsburgh, though in Juneau Sabal minor, needle palms and some hardy palms can be grown.
Juneau doesn't have enough heat for palms. This, combined with the length of the winter and average minimum makes it impossible for any palms to grow in Juneau. Someone tried a trachycarpus further south in Sitka, and it died. In Juneau, the conditions are worse.

As for Pittsburgh, I agree it could grow Sabal minor and Needle palms relatively easily, as it has enough heat in the summer and the hardiness zone is 6b, which those palms can tolerate if they get enough heat. Plus the prospects of, like you said, musa basjoo and southern magnolias and crepe myrtles makes Pittsburgh the clear winner.

Last edited by Teegurr; 02-21-2024 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-10-2024, 11:19 AM

But Juneau has good chances of growing some of the plant’s Pittsburgh can due to milder in coldest month, but remember Juneau is way snowier, too snowy infact.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:08 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
You can grow hardly palms in Juneau. Doesn’t change the fact though that Juneau’s climate is cold and miserable with non existent summers.

Old 03-10-2024, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
You can grow hardly palms in Juneau. Doesn’t change the fact though that Juneau’s climate is cold and miserable with non existent summers.
Where online or in person have you seen palms grow in Juneau?

Old 03-11-2024, 04:55 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
Where online or in person have you seen palms grow in Juneau?
I've been there most of my life and can tell you there are definitely no palms growing in Juneau.

It's a tough climate for growing anything, really, mostly due to lack of heat and sunshine. I do have a couple clumps of the cold hardy fargesia bamboos.

There is a summer but don't blink or you'll miss it. Weather in June, July, August and September can be quite nice, or then again it can be quite rainy.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:15 PM

140 posts, read 32,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
Juneau doesn't have enough heat for palms. This, combined with the length of the winter and average minimum makes it impossible for any palms to grow in Juneau. Someone tried a trachycarpus further south in Sitka, and it died. In Juneau, the conditions are worse.

As for Pittsburgh, I agree it could grow Sabal minor and Needle palms relatively easily, as it has enough heat in the summer and the hardiness zone is 6b, which those palms can tolerate if they get enough heat. Plus the prospects of, like you said, musa basjoo and southern magnolias and crepe myrtles makes Pittsburgh the clear winner.
Juneau can grow needle palms, they don’t require summer heat.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:28 PM

140 posts, read 32,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Juneau and Southern Magnolia don’t even know each other. And Crape Myrtles a tropical native in subpolar oceanic Juneau sounds crazy! I think the palms are the best option, the others do require heat. To bloom, Crape myrtles need warmth, Musa Basjoo needs it also, and Trifoliate oranges also. Don’t know about Ilex Opaca. All of these mentioned can thrive in oceanic climates, but subpolar oceanic with the short and cold summers(the summers are literally non existent) I think these plants would not grow well there. Pittsburgh is a win, win! Coldest month might average slightly lower than Juneau, but it has spring, summer, and fall that are way way warmer than Juneau, and even part of winter. Also winter can have warmer days than Juneau. Also the sunshine. Pittsburgh has everything to win. Crape myrtles can be found, Sabal minor, needle palms, I think so too. Ilex opaca easy. Also I can tell you of more, Albizzia Julibrissin grows well in the area. Southern magnolia is also commonly grown.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
Juneau can grow needle palms, they don’t require summer heat.
Yeah, they do, especially if the winters are as cold as Juneau's. Juneau's summers are just too cold for needles and minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather