Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 06:19 AM

171 posts, read 133,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
lol that **** is good after an extended hot spell, like when we had those 5 40C days in a row (even that was too much for me) but usually they're too severe, it should drop from 35C to 25C if anything, or around there. Not ****ing 15C.
My problem with cool changes are that the temp drop is too sharp like you said, and that they bring (in Melbourne/southern Vic) stratocrapulus cloud and low 20's temps that can last for days and are far too frequent. If these wind changes occured say twice a month, I would not care. But the frequency and the temp drop in Melbourne and other coastal areas is ludicrous.

Here these damn changes are less frequent (excluding this spring ofcourse) and the temp drops are more amiable and it warms up quickly after. Looking at last summer, temps would drop to around the mid-20's after a change and warm up back into the 30's in 2-3 days. In Jan 2016, looking at my temps obs, there were 3 genuine cool changes and in Feb '16 there were 4 ,with a pattern of temps dropping into the mid 20's at the worst right after than warming back up into the 30's after about 2 days.

Ofcourse, that is from one decent summer. There have been summers here that have averaged under 30C, I can imagine those were the result of near constant cold fronts and southerlies more like those this spring. If it happens this year, I am booking a one-way ticket to Darwin. Screw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 06:19 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBeerDrinker View Post
My 3 most hated words in the English Language:

Southwesterlies, Cool Change

Southwesterlies, whilst cool, still retain clear conditions.

Southeasterlies bring the endless rain and gloominess. You should be hating these.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:26 AM

171 posts, read 133,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Southwesterlies, whilst cool, still retain clear conditions.

Southeasterlies bring the endless rain and gloominess. You should be hating these.
In Melbourne, southwesterlies bring the endless cold, stratocrapulus overcast. Here they bring cold windchill but with far less cloud. Still the coldest wind direction here so therefore my prejudice remains valid.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBeerDrinker View Post
In Melbourne, southwesterlies bring the endless cold, stratocrapulus overcast. Here they bring cold windchill but with far less cloud. Still the coldest wind direction here so therefore my prejudice remains valid.
Yes, true. I should've broadened my point, as I hastily spoke from Sydney's perspective.

Same here in Sydney - Our SW's bring a cooler windchill and mostly clear skies. I do like the fact that they can give us some sunshine, unlike SE's (which are probably homogeneous to Melbourne's SW's).

Old 11-23-2016, 04:06 PM

284 posts, read 282,690 times
Quote:
Worst moderators ever, ban them.

That is crazy, I used to be an asthma sufferer. I wasn't affected that day, thankfully.
Unfortunately I was affected.

My third day off work this week now. Lungs still in ****ty condition, though improving.
All this despite no asthma for at least 10 years.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:06 PM

574 posts, read 1,305,888 times
Quote:
lol that **** is good after an extended hot spell, like when we had those 5 40C days in a row (even that was too much for me) but usually they're too severe, it should drop from 35C to 25C if anything, or around there. Not ****ing 15C.
15c seems so warm to me now! Your want to trade?

Old 11-23-2016, 08:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Does Hobart get those sharp temp drops? Does the Bass Strait somehow protect them?

Old 11-23-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Does Hobart get those sharp temp drops? Does the Bass Strait somehow protect them?
Bass Strait only protects Hobart from the extreme heat that comes from the mainland. But not always. Sometimes the heat from the desert does reach the island, and they would eventually get drastic temperature drops (thanks to the southern ocean). The only thing is that this happens in Melbourne more frequently as it's more proximate to the desert.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 PM

765 posts, read 573,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It sure does, here's Hobart's climate data

Mean max
Mean Maximum Temperature - 094029 - Bureau of Meteorology

Mean min
Mean Minimum Temperature - 094029 - Bureau of Meteorology

Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post

Pretty variable summers for being an oceanic climate on an island... 6C between record lowest warmest month vs record highest warmest month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather