Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 11:41 PM

44 posts, read 59,612 times

Advertisements

Melbourne, and to a lesser extent Sydney weather is frigging hilarious. My overseas friends can't believe this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:55 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,503,321 times
So it seems I have a little too much time on my hands. Courtesy of the BOM data I was able to calculate the mean difference in maximum temperature for consecutive days in summer for the three largest Australian cities. I find this measure more helpful than standard deviation.

The results are:

Sydney: 2.8°C difference between days
Melbourne: 4.8°C difference
Brisbane: 1.6°C difference

Basically this means that on average in summer in Melbourne tomorrow will be 5 degrees colder (or warmer) than today! That sounds like a big difference.

The largest single changes I could find are:
Melbourne: 24.9°C drop from 39.5°C on December 13 1924 to a maximum of only 14.6°C the next day December 14.
Sydney: 22.0°C drop from 44.2°C on January 1 2006 to 22.2°C on January 2.
Brisbane: 14.6°C increase from 24.8°C on December 14 1913 to 39.4°C on December 15.

(Based on data for December, January, and February for all available years. There might be some gaps in the data... caveat emptor. But the average differences should still be reasonable.)

Old 12-14-2016, 01:08 AM

284 posts, read 282,651 times
Just flew back to Melb today.
Feels great to be in cool conditions.

Uluru gets tiresome fast with it's sunny skies and boiling temps.

Interestingly today there were dark clouds forming and I actually had to use the windscreen wipers for 2 minutes today before returning the hire car.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:44 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
The southerly buster has arrived in the Sydney region (at around 8pm-ish). It's now windy, humid (dewpoint 19C) but rather cool, at 21C. Very refreshing I say.

Attached Thumbnails
Australia/NZ Weather and Climate Discussion-untitled.png  

Old 12-14-2016, 04:38 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie87 View Post
Just flew back to Melb today.
Feels great to be in cool conditions.

Uluru gets tiresome fast with it's sunny skies and boiling temps.

Interestingly today there were dark clouds forming and I actually had to use the windscreen wipers for 2 minutes today before returning the hire car.
You are not going to be short of cool conditions here that's for sure.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:23 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
38C yesterday. Now it's 16C at 10:20am.

That's a 22C difference.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:43 PM

Here are histograms showing temperature distributions for Australia's three largest cities in summer. I think they illustrate quite nicely the weather patterns in summer.

As you can see the modal temperature for Melbourne is quite cool--between 20-22°C. In fact, more than 50% of summer days have maximum temperatures below 24°C and almost 20% (i.e., once or twice a week) have maximum temperatures below 20°C. It is indeed not an exaggeration to state that Melbourne is normally cool in the summer; even an "average" day is abnormal. The deceivingly high mean maximum of around 26°C is accomplished through the long tail of temperatures at the high end of the scale. The distribution is decidedly asymmetric.

Sydney on the other hand has a much more symmetric distribution. Its mode is very close to its average although the variance is I think rather wide for its latitude: more than 20% of days are in excess of 4°C above or below the mean.

Brisbane has an even tighter distribution of temperatures with 90% of days being within 4°C of average. There an average day is, actually, a normal day.

Last edited by Ed's Mountain; 12-14-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 11:23 PM

171 posts, read 133,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Here are histograms showing temperature distributions for Australia's three largest cities in summer. I think they illustrate quite nicely the weather patterns in summer.

As you can see the modal temperature for Melbourne is quite cool--between 20-22°C. In fact, more than 50% of summer days have maximum temperatures below 24°C and almost 20% (i.e., once or twice a week) have maximum temperatures below 20°C. It is indeed not an exaggeration to state that Melbourne is normally cool in the summer; even an "average" day is abnormal. The deceivingly high mean maximum of around 26°C is accomplished through the long tail of temperatures at the high end of the scale. The distribution is decidedly asymmetric.

Sydney on the other hand has a much more symmetric distribution. Its mode is very close to its average although the variance is I think rather wide for its latitude: more than 20% of days are in excess of 4°C above or below the mean.

Brisbane has an even tighter distribution of temperatures with 90% of days being within 4°C of average. There an average day is, actually, a normal day.
Nice! Really hits home when you see a visual representation. This is a direct confirmation of my "remove the 10 hottest days in the summer and you have Heathrow" theory. Those odd spike days really do skew the average highs. All you gotta do is look up the daily observations and you can clearly see the plethora of low 20's days interspersed with a smattering of mid-30's to 40C+ day here and there.

Sydney having a real ass of a day, has only reached 19.1C as of 5pm. Yesterday my high was 20.6C so a real DISGUSTING WINTRY southerly attack.

7 day forecast here is 5C below average aside from a single 34C day and lows in the low teens which have no place to be spammed in SUMMER High teens and low 20's in southern Vic (including Melbourne) with a 32C day in the mix. A true ****en ASS of a DICKCEMBER.

**** THIS DICKCEMBER

Sydney's forecast are starting to deteriorate aswell, with some low 20's creeping in among 2-3 days of 28-32C.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBeerDrinker View Post
Nice! Really hits home when you see a visual representation. This is a direct confirmation of my "remove the 10 hottest days in the summer and you have Heathrow" theory. Those odd spike days really do skew the average highs. All you gotta do is look up the daily observations and you can clearly see the plethora of low 20's days interspersed with a smattering of mid-30's to 40C+ day here and there.

Sydney having a real ass of a day, has only reached 19.1C as of 5pm. Yesterday my high was 20.6C so a real DISGUSTING WINTRY southerly attack.

7 day forecast here is 5C below average aside from a single 34C day and lows in the low teens which have no place to be spammed in SUMMER High teens and low 20's in southern Vic (including Melbourne) with a 32C day in the mix. A true ****en ASS of a DICKCEMBER.

**** THIS DICKCEMBER

Sydney's forecast are starting to deteriorate aswell, with some low 20's creeping in among 2-3 days of 28-32C.
Invasive mass of southerly tumor covering most of SE Australia. Queensland, NT, and WA are largely disease free. 14°C at Broken Hill--17 below average!

Old 12-14-2016, 11:46 PM

171 posts, read 133,460 times
It's a disgrace. ****en below average WANK in forecast in the long term outlook (not that these are known for being accurate) but still disgusting seeing all that evil blue. However, the BOM had us pasted in RED for this failed Dickcember....

Climate Outlooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather