Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 05:56 AM

171 posts, read 133,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Yeah, I was using Weather.com. Are they actually that far off for Australian cities?
They are. 100% useless. The BOM is the only official source, everything else is made up falsification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 06:00 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBeerDrinker View Post
They are. 100% useless. The BOM is the only official source, everything else is made up falsification.
You're right, the BOM has a high of 17C for Melbourne tomorrow. I wonder why American sites consistently forecast colder temps.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:27 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
This one is terrible too.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/.../melbourne/ext

Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 AM

765 posts, read 573,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

I find they're pretty good for Sydney.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 AM

171 posts, read 133,469 times
Pretty much anything that is not the BOM or uses BOM data is of no use. The default weather apps that come with smartphones are worse yet. I downloaded an app called "Weather Australia" which uses BOM data and is very simple, to the point with clear graphics. It has a widget which you can place on your homescreen and has the current temp and the forecast for the next 2 days at a glance.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:07 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
Pretty much anything that is not the BOM or uses BOM data is of no use. The default weather apps that come with smartphones are worse yet. I downloaded an app called "Weather Australia" which uses BOM data and is very simple, to the point with clear graphics. It has a widget which you can place on your homescreen and has the current temp and the forecast for the next 2 days at a glance.
I use pocket weather, which pretty much does the exact same thing. I get a 3 day forecast on my widget, and a 7 day forecast inside the app. It has the radar, temp and wind graphs, and other info like UV index and pollen and warnings. I think it was $1.19 but as a weather enthusiast it's definitely worth it.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:36 PM

284 posts, read 282,690 times
I use weatherzone pro which I purchased years ago for about $1 (uses BOM data). I used to use weather Australia as well which I loved, but it hasn't been updated in forever and is no longer very useful on a modern Android phone.

I have downloaded the new BOM app which still sucks unfortunately, as it doesn't offer much detail. Fingers crossed for improvements to be made.

My pet peeve is people using the default weather on their smartphones and quote absolute BS forecasts and current observations

Old 11-21-2016, 03:03 PM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
wew

It is not the middle of summer, in fact it's not even summer yet. I agree that the upcoming week is absolute **** but don't make things up.
From 5 December 2013:
Tonight is about as polar as it gets. This would be a cold night by July standards. Leaving work today me and my mates just went straight to our cars, normally we'd have a beer and a few minutes chatting n stuff, but the cold was just ridiculous.

An absolutely arctic high of 15.6C , yes you read that right 15.6C or 60F with wintry rain showers, hail and I heard thunder at one point.

THe coldest summer day since Christmas day 2006. The trolls on the Australian Weather Forum are frothing at the mouth.

The forecast is cold and lame, bloody 20-21C during the day and 11-13C nights OF course those <deleted> perrffffffffffffffffffffffff derrrfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffsss are getting over 30C every day and warm nights as well, I suppose more record summers are on the way for that scum while we get this endless cold HORSE****

You know, this is a SICK JOKE, I've given up on summer this year, we just can't get rid of this festering pattern, it is like a malignant cancer, **** it, summer is over before it began. We might get snow by January at this rate for ****s sake

From the very next day:
Another cold and cloudy subarctic day to add the mountainous total. 15C at midday

Getting farther into summer (17 December) but still only 64*F at 13:00:
massive downgrade in the forecast due to all this ****en cloud, which only now at 1pm is clearing.

And a cold 18C at 1pm, by far the coldest city in Australia atm but what the **** else is new

Weekend looks like horse ****, cold and cloudy once again HERP DE DERP IN MY A**

From 23 December:
Today was cold and overcast once again, ****ing 18C high after a polar arctic night. The worst summer on record continues unabated.

From 11 January 2014:
Bloody h***, the forecast was 19/25C, yet at 2pm we are barely scratching 20C [68*F] thanks to these disgusting seabreezes and the familiar sight of solid overcast stratus

I could quote many more examples of highs in the 60s (sometimes low to mid 60s) in summer, even January, so I'm not just pulling numbers out of my rear end. My point stands that Melbourne has poor summers.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:13 PM

765 posts, read 573,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
From 5 December 2013:
Tonight is about as polar as it gets. This would be a cold night by July standards. Leaving work today me and my mates just went straight to our cars, normally we'd have a beer and a few minutes chatting n stuff, but the cold was just ridiculous.

An absolutely arctic high of 15.6C , yes you read that right 15.6C or 60F with wintry rain showers, hail and I heard thunder at one point.

THe coldest summer day since Christmas day 2006. The trolls on the Australian Weather Forum are frothing at the mouth.

The forecast is cold and lame, bloody 20-21C during the day and 11-13C nights OF course those <deleted> perrffffffffffffffffffffffff derrrfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffsss are getting over 30C every day and warm nights as well, I suppose more record summers are on the way for that scum while we get this endless cold HORSE****

You know, this is a SICK JOKE, I've given up on summer this year, we just can't get rid of this festering pattern, it is like a malignant cancer, **** it, summer is over before it began. We might get snow by January at this rate for ****s sake

From the very next day:
Another cold and cloudy subarctic day to add the mountainous total. 15C at midday

Getting farther into summer (17 December) but still only 64*F at 13:00:
massive downgrade in the forecast due to all this ****en cloud, which only now at 1pm is clearing.

And a cold 18C at 1pm, by far the coldest city in Australia atm but what the **** else is new

Weekend looks like horse ****, cold and cloudy once again HERP DE DERP IN MY A**

From 23 December:
Today was cold and overcast once again, ****ing 18C high after a polar arctic night. The worst summer on record continues unabated.

From 11 January 2014:
Bloody h***, the forecast was 19/25C, yet at 2pm we are barely scratching 20C [68*F] thanks to these disgusting seabreezes and the familiar sight of solid overcast stratus

I could quote many more examples of highs in the 60s (sometimes low to mid 60s) in summer, even January, so I'm not just pulling numbers out of my rear end. My point stands that Melbourne has poor summers.
You could also look at the data

Mean Maximum Temperature - 086071 - Bureau of Meteorology

Old 11-21-2016, 04:10 PM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
I never said the average was in the 60s, let alone just 60. I just mentioned that it sometimes happens that summer days can be in the 60s, even low or mid 60s.

Even looking at your link, two Decembers had average highs below 70*F. 9 December 1964 had a high of 14.9*C (58.8*F), and 4 December 1995 had a high of 14.3*C (57.7*F). The latter December also has 16 days (more than half!) where it failed to reach 20*C (68*F).

And I did actually find an example of a 60*F high in midsummer: 2 February 2005 topped out at just 15.5*C (59.9*F). All I'm saying is that unpleasantly cool summertime temperatures aren't unheard of in Melbourne and there have been lots of summer days that top out in the teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather