Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:06 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,158,058 times

Advertisements

I think I saw maybe 10 to 15 minutes of actual "blizzard" conditions (by the old original, time-honored definition) at one station in NW MN. The rest was a snowstorm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 05:41 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I think I saw maybe 10 to 15 minutes of actual "blizzard" conditions (by the old original, time-honored definition) at one station in NW MN. The rest was a snowstorm.
As a weather forecaster in Grand Forks....I fail to understand why the temperature is important for a storm to be a blizzard. If you cant see in front of you if driving or can't see if you get stranded....you are in danger regardless of the temperature. As someone involved in verification we do use public reports as well as automated stations in the entire verification process.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:13 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,158,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
As a weather forecaster in Grand Forks....I fail to understand why the temperature is important for a storm to be a blizzard. If you cant see in front of you if driving or can't see if you get stranded....you are in danger regardless of the temperature. As someone involved in verification we do use public reports as well as automated stations in the entire verification process.
Except maybe in Grand Forks (where it's just another winter day) low temps + high winds are a bigee to most people. The former definition requiring temps under 20 degrees was made up by the NWS, not me. But I suspect in order to get the word "blizzard" out there more often (to sell more advertising and strip food shelves in grocery stores more frequently) they changed the definition to now include in "blizzard warning" what used to be "heavy snow warning" or "winter storm warning". I'm going back 45 + years here.

You'll die or get frostbite way quicker in a 40 mph wind and 18 degrees than you will with 40 mph wind and 28 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather