Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

The Appalachians aren't high enough to block cold air coming from the northwest, but they do an excellent job of drying out the awful winter cloudiness that forms over the Great Lakes.

I grew up near Pittsburgh, PA and winters were always cloudy and dreary. Then I spent a year in Allentown, PA and I couldn't believe how sunny it was all winter.

There's an element of truth to the saying, "it's always sunny in Philadelphia." At least compared to cities like Pittsburgh and Erie west of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:14 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Usually for a mountain range to effectively block a cold airmass, it's peaks have to be 10k ft or higher, cold airmasses usually sink down below 10k ft
How much warmer can an east coast city, say NYC, be if the mountains in Pennsylvania and Upstate NY were 10K?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How much warmer can an east coast city, say NYC, be if the mountains in Pennsylvania and Upstate NY were 10K?
Basically, two things would happen, your "cold" days would maybe be 5-10° below current norms rather than 20°+ below, and you would get a katabatic wind (Santa Ana,Chinook) on some other days that would send you 20°+ above current norms, so I would venture that winter in NYC would be more similar to winter in Shanghai, China (more stable, slightly warmer averages)

Old 11-22-2016, 07:59 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
I would love that.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:48 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
The much lower Ouachita Mountains in SE Oklahoma create a significant rain level difference between nearby, parts of Northern Texas vs those mountain areas in Oklahoma. Their is an abundance of water run off and large man made lakes that fill quickly in OKlahoma and represent solutions to some water problems near by.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:44 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
The cascades are good at blocking cold air, and they are not nearly that tall. WA only has 4 peaks taller than 10K one of which is a satellite peak on mt. Rainier. OR has another 4 peaks taller than 10k. Instead I would say a good height would be when the mountains reach the timberline. Here in WA that is between 5 and 6k which the majority of the cascade mountains are of this height.
Wait ... I did not realize that timberline was variable! Here in Colorado it starts at about 11K.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:38 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Having spent time on both sides of the Appalachians (TN/NC), I can say that they are plenty tall enough to create big differences in the weather an temperature on either side. The uplifting cold air on the western slope creates some really significant variances in snowfall totals. For example, its not uncommon to see 12"+ snow totals in Roan Mountain, TN (around 2500 feet on the upslope) and 1" in Blowing Rock (about 25 miles east at 2500 feet on the downslope).

On the other hand, when lows are passing to the south, cold air tends to dam on the eastern side of the mountains and is not able to move further west. Bowing Rock will get significant ice storms while its perfectly sunny and warm on the western slopes.

Here's the Wikipedia article on cold air damming. Not surprisingly, one of the images uses the southern Appalachians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold-air_damming

Old 11-22-2016, 06:36 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Basically, two things would happen, your "cold" days would maybe be 5-10° below current norms rather than 20°+ below, and you would get a katabatic wind (Santa Ana,Chinook) on some other days that would send you 20°+ above current norms, so I would venture that winter in NYC would be more similar to winter in Shanghai, China (more stable, slightly warmer averages)
A lot of the cold air nowadays comes obviously from the northwest, as well as from the Hudson Bay, so if you block that access off...how would the cold blasts make it past the mountain peaks? I think our winters would be something similar to Dushanbe

Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
A lot of the cold air nowadays comes obviously from the northwest, as well as from the Hudson Bay, so if you block that access off...how would the cold blasts make it past the mountain peaks? I think our winters would be something similar to Dushanbe
You would get cold air funneling down from Labrador and the Maritime Provinces, the same way that our cold air here in SW Arizona comes from the Gulf of Alaska

Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
You would get cold air funneling down from Labrador and the Maritime Provinces, the same way that our cold air here in SW Arizona comes from the Gulf of Alaska
I wish, cold air from there is nothing like cold air from the Canadian praires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather