Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate: Gap, France
A 4 10.53%
B 10 26.32%
C 14 36.84%
D 8 21.05%
E 1 2.63%
F 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:05 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,539,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Let's just call it the humid homeless climate then?
I think it's weird that Cwb/Cwc means subtropical highland instead of oceanic (subarctic) with winter dryness. Why isnt Subtropical highland Chb/Chc or Cxxh? Either way, this climate has a Climate (subtropical highland), which I don't think needs to or can be argued with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 04:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
There is absolutely no chance that Gap gets 3000 hours of sun annually.

French wikipedia says 2500 hours for Gap, and no source listed there either.

Grenoble, just a stone throw away gets 2050 hours.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
There is absolutely no chance that Gap gets 3000 hours of sun annually.

French wikipedia says 2500 hours for Gap, and no source listed there either.

Grenoble, just a stone throw away gets 2050 hours.
On Solargis' map there is a big difference between the two locations, and the Gap area has even more solar radiation than the Nice/Marsielle area.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
On Solargis' map there is a big difference between the two locations, and the Gap area has the same amount of radiation as the Nice area.
Because it sits at elevation.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Because it sits at elevation.
600m is not going to raise the radiation that substantially. Nice has comparable sunshine hours to Gap according to the English wiki, and considering Gap actually has considerably more sunshine radiation according to Solargis, I don't think it's farfetched to assume they've got comparable sunshine hours. Valley climates do tend to have more sunshine too.

Grenoble seems to belong more to the central part of France geographically speaking with the mountains to the south whereas Gap belongs more to the mediterranean part with mountains to the north (which Solargis' sunshine map indicates as well). It makes sense that Gap gets much more sunshine.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:55 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
600m is not going to raise the radiation that substantially. Nice has comparable sunshine hours to Gap according to the English wiki, and considering Gap actually has considerably more sunshine radiation according to Solargis, I don't think it's farfetched to assume they've got comparable sunshine hours. Valley climates do tend to have more sunshine too.

Grenoble seems to belong more to the central part of France geographically speaking with the mountains to the south whereas Gap belongs more to the mediterranean part with mountains to the north (which Solargis' sunshine map indicates as well). It makes sense that Gap gets much more sunshine.
Gap, France elevation is not that high.

By western USA standards it would be considered "low" elevation,
there are entire western US states where their lowest elevation is higher!

Gap does have an interesting climate.

It's like my climate but with warmer winter highs and much cooler summer lows,
Gap mean annual temp is 9.8C....it's 9.4C for Toronto,
9.9C for Windsor airport and 9.1C where I live in Burlington.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Gap, France elevation is not that high.

By western USA standards it would be considered "low" elevation,
there are entire western US states where their lowest elevation is higher!

Gap does have an interesting climate.

It's like my climate but with warmer winter highs and much cooler summer lows,
Gap mean annual temp is 9.8C....it's 9.4C for Toronto,
9.9C for Windsor airport and 9.1C where I live in Burlington.
Also, the dew points are probably only about 12'C in the summer making summers much more comfortable than Ontario's and the US' east coast.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:12 PM

607 posts, read 648,336 times
Quote:

Grenoble- fog, fog, fog. That's my enduring memory of a few days there in winter.

If Gap is outside that particular microclimate, I can well believe it's sunnier, though 2900 hours seems very high for inland Europe. The Wiki article suggests it actually benefits from the mountains breaking up cloud, so perhaps it has its own sunny microclimate. But 2500 is impressive enough, combined with the fact no month is very wet it squeezes a B from me.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:01 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
2500 hours seems more legit, kinda similar to the southern Rhone Valley.

The southern side of the Alps is substantially sunnier than the northern part, and it shows in the vegetation. It would be interesting to study the climates of the area like Digne, Briançon, etc. Not sure how many weather stations there are in the region.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
2500 hours seems more legit, kinda similar to the southern Rhone Valley.

The southern side of the Alps is substantially sunnier than the northern part, and it shows in the vegetation. It would be interesting to study the climates of the area like Digne, Briançon, etc. Not sure how many weather stations there are in the region.
I still don't get why it's so hard to believe that the place gets similar sunshine levels as the coast? I mean it is situated in a valley 600-800m above the sea, and highland valleys sometimes get considerably more sunshine than than the ground levels. According to Solargis, Gap should get 2800h and above just as Marseille. And it would make sense considering a lot of clouds get caught in the surrounding mountains, and the clouds that do reach Gap will probably precipitate orographically. This means the precipitation per cloudiness should be higher, so if the precipitation amount is the same, there should be less clouds and more sun. That's my theory at least.

Last edited by Baba_Wethu; 11-28-2016 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather