Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The Morning after... 29°F. Looks sweet outside right now. Missed the beautiful sunrise though
you got out and took photos right on time. Pretty, snow didn't last long on the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
I like the pics with the pine forests. The rest is rather ugly, but those ones are nice. The 3rd one is my favorite. I also really like the architecture in the one with the river and the spired buildings behind it.
looks a bit grim with the brown landscape and clouds but otherwise not bad looking; maybe not beautiful. This looks nice:

Spoiler

this is my favorite though I wouldn't call it pretty, kinda interestingly bleak

Spoiler

Old 02-04-2017, 09:25 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
So close...

Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
So close...
Ha. That's crazy. I know what its like driving just 30 minutes and seeing the snow rain line but to physically see it right in front of you from a vertical sense is so interesting.

Which way are the winds blowing? Which way are you facing? What is the temp difference from floor to above snow line.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:33 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
I must be one of the few people that actually enjoys the sight of brown grass and bare trees.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:48 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,691,940 times
Today at 14:00, eastern hills

Old 02-04-2017, 02:46 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Some photos taken around Malta over the last few days...

Old 02-04-2017, 02:53 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Second photo reminds me of England.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:02 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Second photo reminds me of England.
That's Golden Bay, Malta looks so different during the winter when everything is nice & green

Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ha. That's crazy. I know what its like driving just 30 minutes and seeing the snow rain line but to physically see it right in front of you from a vertical sense is so interesting.

Which way are the winds blowing? Which way are you facing? What is the temp difference from floor to above snow line.
Actually, this is a quite common situation in here. But not at the beginning of February, it is more like a November or February situation. When it happens in November the photos are even more interesting than this one, because you see the transition from trees in the middle of foliage and snow.

Spoiler

I showed a really similar photo nearly one year ago:

Now I will try to give some better explanation. For doing this I need to give you some reference point, so here there is a screen shoot from Google maps, with the map centered around my place:

If you want to explore the area with google maps by yourselves, here there is the link:
https://www.google.it/maps/place/100...44!4d7.0484573

I live in a side-valley of the Susa Valley, that goes from the Mont Cenis pass and arrives in Susa (so its orientation is North-South, more or less). The side-valley is named after the mountain torrent Cenischia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenischia

On the map I indicated the point of view of the picture, so in practice I was looking toward the west side of the valley.

I think that in here this is so easy to see mainly because our mountains are quite step. My village is at the really base of the mountains, and the slope of the terrain below the village is not excessive because the village is build over an accumulation of sediments generated by the mountain erosion. The real mountain starts just above the village, and is much stepper (in some points is practically a wall).
So my house is at about 650 m of altitude, but the snow line in that picture was at about 750-800 m. Going above that altitude the picture becomes progressively less clear, and more or less the mountain remain visible until the level of the road SS25, which is at an altitude of more or less 1000 m.

Talking about temperatures, it is not easy to give good measures because Val Cenischia has only two weather stations, which are the two circles I added to the map:
- The blue circle is in Bar Cenisio, at an altitude of 1525 m. It is also further north than us (really close to the French borderline), so in practice that place is never visible from here.
The picture was taken at about 10 AM, and at that hour this weather station recorded a temperature of -2°C. That weather station also measure the amount of accumulated snow: right now it is 57 cm, nearly 20 cm more than before the beginning of this perturbation.
- The red circle is Susa (locality Pietrastretta), which is at the really entrance of Val Cenischia. Altitude 520 m. When I took the picture, it measured a temperature of nearly 1°C (which is also the lowest temperature recorded yesterday in that station). Over there it hasn't showed (yet).

Here we are at a slightly higher altitude if compared to the second weather station, so I would say that the temperature in here was just above 0°C. Yesterday we had rain alternated with snow (that didn't stick) for all the morning.
Both the station recorded a wind speed lower than 5m/s for the morning of yesterday, which is really low for us. Wind direction was not particularly interesting, it was just following the direction of the valley.

Yesterday afternoon was much more windier instead, with a really short episode of foehn wind that brought away the clouds for a while (it really looked like the wind was mixing everything)
This morning was cloudy and rainy again, but the snow level has lowered. Just after lunchtime it started to snow in here too, and right now (3 PM) it looks like it is starting to stick to the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather