Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
How much snow have you gotten so far? Do you have a huge ice issue on the roads???? Looking at places to move to, Denver is on the list, but the ice scares me a little.
Denver averages about 61" of snow per winter - so far this year, we've had about half that. March and April are both quite snowy, though generally it's the wet, heavy variety - quite appropriate for snowman construction and a good old fashioned snowball fight. Many of our major snowstorms occur in March.

Ice is not normally a huge problem, except when we have a very warm day followed by cold air and light to moderate snow (where it's enough to coat the roads, but not accumulate). In fact, this past weekend we received just that - 74º at 2:00pm on Saturday followed by blizzard warnings 18 hours later. The roads were a mess.

The nice thing about winter in Denver is that we almost never receive rain, so ice storms are non-existent. I don't think we've ever had a true ice storm. Our winters mainly consist of snow, wind, cold, sun and the frequent spring-like afternoon - just enough to make you cry for summer to finally be here.

If you're considering moving to Denver, don't let the prospect of ice on the roads stop you. Rarely are roads messy for an entire day (when we get blizzards, of course roads can be gross for several days). This morning is a prime example - it was very icy early in the morning before rush hour, wet/slushy during rush hour and mostly dry on interstates now with wet side streets. It is common to have a nightmare commute in the morning and drive home on dry roads with sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Yeah, I've noticed how snow seems to snarl the morning rush hour and then by noon, the roads are dry. What the hell? I just work from home if traffic looks bad. What snow fell this morning appears to be gone.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
NickMan7 - Thanks that helps!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:42 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I've noticed how snow seems to snarl the morning rush hour and then by noon, the roads are dry. What the hell? I just work from home if traffic looks bad. What snow fell this morning appears to be gone.
That pretty much happens in every sunny,dry climate, you guys over there have some of the wildest weather i've seen!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
I'm up the road from Denver in Longmont. I can take the snow, the temp swings, etc....but the winds. I HATE the winds!!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I think Nick Man meant we almost never have rain in the winter. May is a very rainy month, and we have frequent thunderstorms all summer.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm up the road from Denver in Longmont. I can take the snow, the temp swings, etc....but the winds. I HATE the winds!!!!!
jk, no kidding! I'm right down the road from you (Erie) and the wind never ends up this way! Being a weather nut, however, I don't normally mind it, but it gets old when it continues day in and day out. This winter season has been particularly windy in the area, especially at night.

I've recorded several 70mph gusts at my house (love having my own anemometer) since the beginning of the year - almost all have come in the early morning hours just before sunrise. It's strange to me how that tends to be the windiest time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather