Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Interesting. On that day, the dew point reached 20-21C at 9am, then dipped to 18-19C during the hottest time of day, then rose to 20-21C again around 7-8pm.

Kinda funny that our most humid weather often occurs when it isn't hot at all. I'd say our most humid days usually have combinations of like 21C with a DP of 18C, especially if it's one of those days that's cloudy and clammy and then the sun comes out at around 3pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 06:41 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
I'm guessing the sun has somewhat of a drying effect on the DP?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It was in the late evening. The dew point had two peaks - one in the early morning and one late in the evening. I guess this is pretty typical for most places? It's unusual for the highest dew point to coincide with the highest temperature.
Very usual here. Like I said, most of the time, dewpoints as high as 20C don't linger on incessantly. They occur in the morning and in evenings, unlike in places such as Brisbane where they seem to be stable throughout the day.

Quote:
I always thought Sydney was pretty humid, but I guess when you guys get heatwaves they usually come from the dry interior rather than a big, hot body of water like the Gulf of Mexico.
Yes. It's mostly desert, dry heat when temps are above 35C. We rarely get dewpoints above 14C when temps are higher than 35C. I believe that such events happen once or twice a year, though.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:56 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,539,968 times
This summer at one point we had some pretty extreme relative humidity. When it was 22'C we managed to get like 19'C DP's, i.e around 80% RH. I've almost never even experienced that high dew points. I remember it feeling very strange as I was walking/running around the city. It didn't feel hot or anything, it just felt like my body couldn't "breathe" properly. Like I wasn't cooling down if I were to stop running.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:17 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
Most summers we reach about 20c dew points, usually after a thunderstorm or as part of a moist Azores sourced airmass

Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
This summer at one point we had some pretty extreme relative humidity. When it was 22'C we managed to get like 19'C DP's, i.e around 80% RH. I've almost never even experienced that high dew points. I remember it feeling very strange as I was walking/running around the city. It didn't feel hot or anything, it just felt like my body couldn't "breathe" properly. Like I wasn't cooling down if I were to stop running.
Here too, more like 23C and 82 % RH or thereabouts so probably around 20. It was a bit strange for being here.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:57 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,539,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Here too, more like 23C and 82 % RH or thereabouts so probably around 20. It was a bit strange for being here.
I checked, and apparently we got a 21'C dewpoint on a 22'C max temp day. Don't know if that was the exact same day I remember though.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:28 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
There are some place in Southern Hemisphere who can get lake effect snow? I've been looking in google earth and seen that:

Australia : Impossible since it dont have any great lake and cold waves there are mild.
New Zealand : There are a lot of considerable lakes there,but them are small and have a glacial origin,so the temperature of waters there are very cold.
South America : The most likely,there are inumerous lakes on eastern parts of Patagonian Andes,in my guess,the place who has the greatest chance for lake effect snow is the General Carrera Lake,since its great and extends into Patagonia steppe,a place who can get very,very cold in winter(-25/-30C),who is sufficient,since the difference between the lake waters and air temperature are great enough to the effect.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I've never head of lake effect snow in relation to NZ, but when I lived in Queenstown, would often see much heavier snow at Kingston, which is 40km away at the southern end of the lake. It also got snow frequent snow when Queenstown got none. It wouldn't be lake effect, though as the direction would be wrong- probably just a feature of the geography.

Lake General Carrera looks interesting.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've never head of lake effect snow in relation to NZ, but when I lived in Queenstown, would often see much heavier snow at Kingston, which is 40km away at the southern end of the lake. It also got snow frequent snow when Queenstown got none. It wouldn't be lake effect, though as the direction would be wrong- probably just a feature of the geography.

Lake General Carrera looks interesting.
What difficulty is the glacial origin of the lakes,they are feed by the ice melt of the mountains,because this them water keeps very cold, so only a very strong cold air mass to make the lake effect possible there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather