Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Christmas week climate battle
Miami 17 45.95%
Melbourne 16 43.24%
Vostok 2 5.41%
Yakutsk 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:10 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,576 times

Advertisements

Miami for not being well below zero Fahrenheit and less than 12 hour days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 02:19 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Experiencing extreme cold and living extreme cold are two totally different things. Funny how most of the people who say they love the cold and want more of it actually choose to live in warm climates.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:26 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It doesn't affect me in any way if someone wants -200 C or 100 C. If that's what they like, that's what they like. Big deal. Never understood why people on here get so triggered over people's preferences lol.

Coldest temp I've ever experienced is -37 C and I liked it. I want to experience colder than that honestly, even way colder than that.

Anyways, there's "extreme cold lovers" like Kamsack for example who lives in Grand Forks, ND, a climate that gets extreme cold somewhat often, that still want winters colder than Grand Forks lol. It gets annoying the assumption that people who prefer very cold winters or even extreme cold have never experienced it. It's the same dumbass argument over and over again on this forum lol. Does it ever occur to anybody that some people may in fact enjoy it?
It does in fact occur to me that people may enjoy extreme cold and I have no problem with people liking extreme cold. Since you've experienced-37C and enjoyed it, that's perfectly fine.

It's just that temperatures like -50C or -70C are very extreme and can be dangerous and then people who have experienced nothing colder than -20C say that it's their dream climate. Having a very extreme temperature you've never experienced as your dream climate, or that that's what they want most days for a month or more doesn't make sense. It seems to me kinda like they just want to sound cool or be proud that they have the coldest dream climate or want extra attention rather than they're actual dream climate.

Same thing as somebody who was never experienced anything over 40C claiming to want 70C summers as their dream climate.

If you experienced -20C or -30C and loved it, that's great. Make those the winter temps in your dream climate. Maybe colder if you want. But don't say you love -50C or -70C and that you want it every day for months cuz you have absolute no idea whether you like it or not and it's an extreme temp that would drastically change your way of life and is very different from the cold -20C that you liked.

Now experience -50C and enjoy it, no problem. That would be a legit, interesting dream climate. Nothing wrong with it.

Anyway, this is way off topic and this thread is about where you'd rather spend Christmas. I pick Vostok for being cold and snowy, but not overly cold and it wouldn't be too bad with the sun.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:28 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
Quote:
It doesn't affect me in any way if someone wants -200 C or 100 C. If that's what they like, that's what they like. Big deal. Never understood why people on here get so triggered over people's preferences lol.

Coldest temp I've ever experienced is -37 C and I liked it. I want to experience colder than that honestly, even way colder than that.

Anyways, there's "extreme cold lovers" like Kamsack for example who lives in Grand Forks, ND, a climate that gets extreme cold somewhat often, that still want winters colder than Grand Forks lol. It gets annoying the assumption that people who prefer very cold winters or even extreme cold have never experienced it. It's the same dumbass argument over and over again on this forum lol. Does it ever occur to anybody that some people may in fact enjoy it?
Where did you experience -37C?

Old 12-14-2016, 02:30 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Experiencing extreme cold and living extreme cold are two totally different things. Funny how most of the people who say they love the cold and want more of it actually choose to live in warm climates.
Completely ridiculous statement lol. I love when people say that people "choose" to live somewhere as if getting up and moving is something you do just from one day to another. I could just as easily say that it's funny how people who fantasize about living in year round warm climates choose to live in cool/cold climates.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:42 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Completely ridiculous statement lol. I love when people say that people "choose" to live somewhere as if getting up and moving is something you do just from one day to another. I could just as easily say that it's funny how people who fantasize about living in year round warm climates choose to live in cool/cold climates.
Agreed! If I could, I would move to Miami tomorrow and have year round warmth but like you said it is not so easy for many.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:30 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Melbourne for the longer days and chance at a heatwave.
I wonder what the chances of having a heat wave warm enough to swim in the ocean on Christmas day though. SST in Melbourne is around 62F. In Miami, it's around 73F. I would need an air temp over 90F to swim in the ocean in Melbourne (and even then it would be brief) but I'd only need an air temp of 75F or above to swim in Miami Beach. Of course, you could get an daily high of 110F in Melbourne and a rare 30/50 day in Miami but I'd just play the odds.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-14-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 03:33 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
I'll go for Miami, better chance of cold weather than Melbourne (and also no chance of 40C temps) and not insanely cold like Vostok and Yakutsk.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I wonder what the chances of having a heat wave warm enough to swim in the ocean on Christmas day though. SST in Melbourne is around 62F. In Miami, it's around 73F. I would need an air temp over 90F to swim in the ocean in Melbourne (and even then it would be brief) but I'd only need an air temp of 75F or above to swim in Miami Beach. Of course, you could get an daily high of 110F in Melbourne and a rare 30/50 day in Miami but I'd just play the odds.
I have been to both Melbourne and Miami and there is no equivalent for South Beach but I like the ambiance better there. It seems more peaceful and I would not mind the 62F water if it is over 100F.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:55 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have been to both Melbourne and Miami and there is no equivalent for South Beach but I like the ambiance better there. It seems more peaceful and I would not mind the 62F water if it is over 100F.
Never been to Australia but have experienced low 60s water with 100F air temps during early spring heat waves here in Orange County. Also swam in upper 70sF water temps in Hawaii in the early morning hours in winter when the air temp was in the low 70s. One can last much longer in the water in the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather