Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:50 PM

5,592 posts, read 3,426,169 times

Advertisements

Depending on who you believe Auckland has either an oceanic or a subtropcial climate. The debate stems from a classification scheme that is based only on temperatures and rainfall. The limitations of such schemes are created by arbitrary and sometimes confusing cut off points; this leads to uncertainty and doubt in edge cases such as Auckland.

However, evidence has emerged from the study of climate genetics placing Auckland firmly in the oceanic realm. The evidence is based on the study of seasonal exposure to large-scale circulation systems. Oceanic climates are exposed year-long to a westerly maritime circulation. Subtropical climates are exposed to different circulation systems at different times of the year. Analysis of seasonal wind patterns can then be used to resolve otherwise difficult to classify climates.

Auckland's wind roses clearly demonstrate exposure to continual southwest circulation throughout the year. (The slight north-east rise in January is accounted for by local sea breezes from daytime heating and not by large-scale airflow.)
Auckland Winter

Auckland Summer

This continual exposure to a westerly oceanic flow is in keeping with an oceanic climate. Compare it to a prototype of the genre such as Dublin (again, local sea breezes add some noise in the summer).
Dublin Winter

Dublin Summer

This is in stark contrast to subtropical climates which are exposed to either temperate or tropical large-scale circulation systems during different seasons. Look at Atlanta and Tokyo for example:
Tokyo Winter:

Tokyo Summer:

Atlanta Winter:

Atlanta Summer:

Wind data is courtesy of windfinder.com

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 07:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,827,386 times
Good thread. Good analysis.

I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 PM

765 posts, read 569,743 times
Yes, here's Sydney in January

vs July

Old 12-16-2016, 08:39 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,484,935 times
Auckland clearly belongs in the Oceanic classifications, as mid latitude westerly airflow is the dominant feature of the climate, year round.

It's the environment/biome that is subtropical, not the climate.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 PM

269 posts, read 197,728 times
I do agree that Auckland is an oceanic climate but the northeast wind in summer is actually not really seabreeze at all as during those months there are quite a lot of weather systems coming down from the North East bringing a lot of rain and humid

Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
I do agree that Auckland is an oceanic climate but the northeast wind in summer is actually not really seabreeze at all as during those months there are quite a lot of weather systems coming down from the North East bringing a lot of rain and humid
Yep, the long range forecast is showing a good chance of a subtropical low right around Christmas -they are usually good for 50mm-100mm on the coast around my area, and 200mm -300mm in the mountains.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:11 PM

795 posts, read 733,414 times
I don't consider the terms Subtropical and Oceanic to be mutually exclusive.

I use the Trewartha definition of Subtropical: 8 or more months were the average temperature is above 10°C.
I use Oceanic to refer to climates with little seasonality (less than 18°C difference between the warmest and the coldest month).

So I consider Auckland both Subtropical and Oceanic.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:27 PM

5,592 posts, read 3,426,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
So I consider Auckland both Subtropical and Oceanic.
Well that's just not very helpful at all.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Well that's just not very helpful at all.

Koppen's original system was supposedly based on the natural range of plant species and correlation with geography, and temperature/rainfall/ weather patterns. Places like NZ didn't fit the vegetation part of the equation.

Trewartha's system (I think) uses a temperature threshold that seems related to requirements for plant growth -length of growing season is considered the subtropical factor, by Trewartha.

Auckland is oceanic in a genetic sense, and subtropical in how the degree of year round warmth has shaped the biome.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-17-2016 at 12:02 AM..

Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 AM

269 posts, read 197,728 times
That wind data is kinda useless if u are going to say that year round westerly winds means oceanic , because going by that means that places like Wellington are less oceanic Than Auckland even though not having these constant westerly winds as they show just the wind direction, not the actual weather systems moving west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather