Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:58 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Especially considering it's late December and not the beginning of the month. Very odd.

I don't get how any weather enthusiast would act like 91 F in December in Ft. Myers is "normal". Funny how record breaking warmth is just "eh, well it's Florida" but when we get even just slightly below average weather it's "OMG, it gets cold in Florida?!?!?"....ridiculous.
Exactly, statistically the weather we're having is equivalent in probability to 30F in metropolitan Miami (which would equate to about 26F in Ft Myers I would imagine). But imagine the **** storm if that happened

Last edited by AJ1013; 12-21-2016 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 12:11 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
I don't think 91F is to be expected either, given that it set a new record high for the month of December.
Yes, I can see the thinking with that too.

This isn't QUITE the same thing, but although I've long grumbled about non-average temperatures for the longest time, used to I didn't respect someone doing it if it was cold during winter or hot during summer, because to me "well it's summer it's SUPPOSED to be hot" I didn't account for how in some regions summers are milder than others with average highs around 85 instead of 95 and how some regions the winter will typically be around 55 instead of 45 etc. Now I do.

So, for instance, if you move to east TX where I live and then on a given winter day it only gets up to 35 degrees or so, I never understood someone being upset about that, I mean it's winter after all, whereas now I account for how winter in east TX isn't the same as, say, winter in upstate New York. 35'F for a high there is probably normal or at least less "off kilter," for us 35 for a high while it does happen periodically nonetheless it is very much on the extreme side for us. In like manner there are places such as where my best friend lives where even in July the average high is 85'F instead of the 97'F which is what we typically run, so if it gets up to 97 in his area in July that's kind of on the nutty side of things even though it is summer.

A better analogy in this case would be if southern FL experienced several days below freezing, yes it's winter-time but this is southern FL. Still, even this is bizarre, it's like "OK I know we have mild winters in southern FL but this is a bit beyond the pale of that."

Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I've heard of Bi-modal distributions of temperature and precipitation, but never bi-polar. On the other hand, i sure have lived in places where the weather could be both depressing and manic.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
What I wouldnt give to be in Fort Myers right now... 91F around Christmas would really put me in the Christmas spirit! Even Austin sounds great about now
What the hell kind of Christmas carols are you listening to? Cinder Hell Rock? Roasting around the Christmas Tree? Let it burn? Satan's Claws are coming to town? I saw mommy torching Santa Claus? Rudolph the roasted reindeer?

Did you grow up spending Christmas in the pits of hell?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Ehh I find it exciting. Keeps things interesting. My favourite part is when this bipolar weather results in a snowfall or two. The weather in my hometown of Miami right now, however, would make me miserable. I mean Miami's already a third and a half world dump as it is, add not only extremely warm and summer like weather but a lack of change at all, and yea...

Old 12-21-2016, 09:18 PM

217 posts, read 283,443 times
That day in West Tennessee where the temperature reached 70 degrees mid-day and got down to 20 degrees by night was some scary ****, though. Ice everywhere by the end of it, and, of course a tornado spawned out of it. Tornado watches and warnings errywhere. It's really just early Spring at this point, if you ask me.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:14 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
91F in South Florida around the winter solstice is quite impressive, especially since the nighttime lows would probably be in the upper 70s. L.A has mastered 90 + in the heart of winter many times but the nighttime lows are usually in the 50s.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
91F in South Florida around the winter solstice is quite impressive, especially since the nighttime lows would probably be in the upper 70s. L.A has mastered 90 + in the heart of winter many times but the nighttime lows are usually in the 50s.
MIA (the warmest official station in South Florida, even beating Miami Beach) recorded a low of 79F lol, nearly 18F above average and the warmest ever winter low by 2F.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:32 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Fort Myers had a low of 70F that day. Nights are warmer in SE Florida.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Fort Myers had a low of 70F that day. Nights are warmer in SE Florida.
And days cooler as well, at least this time of year. The hottest day here recorded a low of 76.7F and a high of 84.3F. Both likely records for Key Biscayne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather