Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:29 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,742 times

Advertisements

Texas is a battleground between warm Gulf of Mexico water air and cold Canadian prairie air from the Yukon. It is probably one of the most bipolar states in the US in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Look at day 24.
24.6/-3.8C.
He's talking about back to back high temps, not the high followed by the low. Show me an area in South America that had a high of 26 C one day and a high of like 2 C the next.

Edit: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KAUS.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 03:44 PM

189 posts, read 166,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Of course the native plants can put up with the cold: the species that cannot put up with the cold are killed off by natural selection. And of course palms are not meant to be there: the cold outbreaks are just too severe.

Here's Renmark, South Australia, similar latidude to Lawton, Oklahoma.
Not true, quite a few species can take the cold and swings: sabals, trachycarpus, med fan palms, etc. In fact, Mexican sabal palms used to line rivers in Central Texas, before being killed off by explorers.

Washingtonia are becoming wild and free in Houston, growing through freeway cracks.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Of course the native plants can put up with the cold: the species that cannot put up with the cold are killed off by natural selection. And of course palms are not meant to be there: the cold outbreaks are just too severe.

There are plenty of palms in Dallas and Austin that do fine. Not all palms are super tender. The ones in your picture are Queens I believe, which can only survive Temps as low as about 16 from what I hear. They would be roasted in Dallas but can put up with Austin winters I would guess until a very exceptional arctic blast goes through

Old 12-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
Quote:

Please,you cant compare with Australia,everybody knows that the winters there is mild,and depeding of what palm we are talking about,they can hold some cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post

He's talking about back to back high temps, not the high followed by the low. Show me an area in South America that had a high of 26 C one day and a high of like 2 C the next.

Edit: National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Austin-Bergstrom International Airport

I tried but didnt found any,temperatures in Southern South America didnt fall so quickly,there are always some days with highs descreasing until reach the coldest point then increase again,not like Southern US.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I live in Austin. Yesterday the temperature at my house reached 80 degrees with a dewpoint of 70. I was in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals doing yardwork and still managed to work up a sweat.

Today it is past 11 AM and the temp sits at 28. It may not get above freezing today. The wind is blowing at 15-25 MPH so it is very cold out there.

Southern winters have got to have the worst day to day swings of any place on the planet. By the way, it is supposed to warm back to the upper 60's to near 70 by Wednesday.
It's been like this for as long as I can remember. Twice a year the weather in the south does this.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:59 PM

168 posts, read 105,915 times
I don't get why everyone is hating on the climate of the southern US on this forum. It's on the east side of a huge landmass so it's gonna be pretty variable in weather. And besides, there are palm trees on the same latitude as Renmark, such as these in North Carolina:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...h_Carolina.JPG
Of course Oklahoma hundreds of miles inland isn't gonna be able to have palm trees on such a huge continent.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Try 68F at 3PM yesterday to 23F at 3PM today, southern Indiana by Louisville.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:11 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch227 View Post
I don't get why everyone is hating on the climate of the southern US on this forum. It's on the east side of a huge landmass so it's gonna be pretty variable in weather. And besides, there are palm trees on the same latitude as Renmark, such as these in North Carolina:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...h_Carolina.JPG
Of course Oklahoma hundreds of miles inland isn't gonna be able to have palm trees on such a huge continent.
Nowata, OK recorded a low temperature of -31F in February 2011. It can get cold there despite the very low latitude.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:12 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Here in Cookeville Tennessee it was 71 degrees yesterday and today it's 29.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:12 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
There are plenty of palms in Dallas and Austin that do fine. Not all palms are super tender. The ones in your picture are Queens I believe, which can only survive Temps as low as about 16 from what I hear. They would be roasted in Dallas but can put up with Austin winters I would guess until a very exceptional arctic blast goes through
Queen Palms are hardy to 20°F but start to suffer below 25°F. Mean yearly minimum in Austin is 22°F so I'm sure it would be a struggle to keep them going for a few years before inevitable defeat. If you can show me block after block of Queen Palms growing unprotected in Austin I could be convinced otherwise.

And remember: the photo I showed was a similar latidude to Lawton, Oklahoma, not Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather