Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 07:46 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Did you ever consider that some people actually adapt to the climate they live in? 37° (which is 6° cooler than our lowest nornal daily low) does feel extremely cold to me, at the same time, 90° is nothing to me where that is boiling hot to someone from say UK or Sweden
This. I may find 28 bitter cold (when the wind chill is -5) when 95 degrees is nothing to me. It all depends on what you're used to.

The Russians have their own problems, seems the people of Turkey and Syria have had enough of them if the latest assassination is any key. They've got their hands full in a war that Obama wisely stayed out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I live in Miami much warmer than Phoenix in winter and it's still absolutely ridiculous to call 37 F extreme cold to me.

That's like calling temps in the high 70s "extremely hot". I'm sure even people who live in places with cool summers wouldn't call 25 C "extreme heat". And 37 F is hardly an unusual temperature in Phoenix, I'm sure most residents there don't consider that extreme either.

Also, a so called "weather enthusiast" shouldn't just look at weather from their local viewpoint......they should look at it globally or from a logical point of view. Calling an easily manageable temperature "extreme" takes meaning away from the word.

For a so called weather forum, there is a lot of weather wimps on here I would think someone who's enthusiastic about weather occurring would be a little bit tougher.
When I was in Edinburgh in the summer the high temp was 27 one day and the locals were complaining of a "heatwave". I was saying "this is nice weather to me". The locals looked like they were going to melt.

It's all relative.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:50 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
27c is hardly cold now let's be honest.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
People tend to exaggerate their tolerance or lack of it. Humans have acclimatised from -60F to 130F temps, and though it feels uncomfortable, eventually people just get along with it.

Those who complain about 20F or 85F temps, or having to shovel tornadoes or sunshine once in a while are usually crybabies and too stupid or lazy to adapt to the current conditions. And that makes me sick for sure.

If it's cold, buy better clothes. If it's warm, read online how to deal with it, and leave your black leather jacket at home. Complaining about minor cold or heat is like crying that you'll drown in a lake without making any effort to swim.
I wasn't complaining about one extreme or the other, just the rapid change, which seemed to go over your head.

I have camped out in single digits and also in 120 degree temps. I can take anything, but that doesn't mean I *prefer* to take it. People can have preferences, which you seem to not understand.

I think you're a cold lover right? Next time it's 95 I'll say "but you should love this weather." That's how ridiculous your line of reasoning is. People are allowed preferences.

Personally I would prefer a climate that would stay one way or the other in the seasons with slight variations. It would follow a sine wave with the summer being the top of the curve and the winter being the bottom instead of the current day to day swings that represent the stock market volatility.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
27c is hardly cold now let's be honest.
27c = 80f

you must of not read the post. They were complaining of 27c being hot. It's not. If you think 27c is hot then you have no right to complain that I complain of -2c being cold.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
27c is actually 82F. At 82F, I would classify temperatures as being Very Warm.. It's not too far off the 90F hot classification so if you are wearing office atire you are going to get stuffy and sweaty.

I don't know what you expected, you're from the southern portion of Texas, of course you're going to find 82F cool! You're average high is 97F in August!

Old 12-20-2016, 08:21 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
27c in Edinburgh is 8c above average in summer there, and 4c off their record.

8c above average here would be 32c, and 4c below the record is 34c. I would consider both temps hot.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
27c is actually 82F. At 82F, I would classify temperatures as being Very Warm.. It's not too far off the 90F hot classification so if you are wearing office atire you are going to get stuffy and sweaty.

I don't know what you expected, you're from the southern portion of Texas, of course you're going to find 82F cool! You're average high is 97F in August!
For me 82 is comfortably mild and 28 is cold.

You guys are bashing me for saying that 28 is cold but you think 82 is very warm.

That's why I'm saying it's relative.

I also don't know why people think if you can't take cold you're a wimp but those same people wimp out in the heat. I guarantee I am much better prepared for global warming and hot temps which is the evolutionary future of this world.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
27c in Edinburgh is 8c above average in summer there, and 4c off their record.

8c above average here would be 32c, and 4c below the record is 34c. I would consider both temps hot.
By comparison, our average low is 14C in winter. -2C is -16 below that. So that is a bigger deviation (twice) than the one in Edinburgh so I have every "right" to say it's bitter cold. I'm just using your own logic.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:47 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
For me 82 is comfortably mild and 28 is cold.

You guys are bashing me for saying that 28 is cold but you think 82 is very warm.

That's why I'm saying it's relative.

I also don't know why people think if you can't take cold you're a wimp but those same people wimp out in the heat. I guarantee I am much better prepared for global warming and hot temps which is the evolutionary future of this world.
And also saying that moving somewhere that has better (for your own preferences) weather is stupid, like you should just stay where you are and either enjoy or not care about the weather. I'm sorry that I didn't enjoy Rochester, NY's 5 months with highs in the 20's to the 40's and low's below freezing and only seeing the sun one day a week in Nov and Dec. So rather than continue to complain about it, I moved someplace dry and sunny that never gets snow (or cold enough for snow/ice either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather