Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think oceanic climates should have snow cover?
Yes 17 47.22%
No 19 52.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:41 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I should have been clearer with the title with this thread... I really meant Oceanic (Cfb) climates and not climates with some oceanic influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Perhaps I should have been clearer with the title with this thread... I really meant Oceanic (Cfb) climates and not climates with some oceanic influence.
If you're using Koppen's classification, there's nothing to debate. The definitions are a given, you could think they should be something else; but then you're creating another classification system

Old 12-19-2016, 09:33 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I thought your original question was perfectly clear. The answer is that yes, Cfb climates can have a bit of snow cover from time-to-time. However, snow cover is not ever the norm for winter.

All this is self-evident. The problem arises when people inappropriately conflate a bit of temporary snow cover with an entrenched months-long snow pack. These are two totally different scenarios and result in two fundamentally different climates.

The other problem arises when people think oceanic influence equates to a Cfb climate. Most climates have some or even a lot of oceanic influence; that doesn't mean they're all compelled to be labeled Cfb or even prefixed with an "oceanic" qualifier. Longyearbyen is warm for latitude because of a far-away ocean but its winters are in no way Oceanic or even oceanic.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Oceanic implies a range within the Koppen classification: therefore some will be snow free (or even close to frostproof) while others will get a significant number of snow cover days. It's just like how both San Francisco and Rome are both considered Mediterranean while being drastically different in seasonality and overall feel.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Oceanic implies a range within the Koppen classification: therefore some will be snow free (or even close to frostproof) while others will get a significant number of snow cover days. It's just like how both San Francisco and Rome are both considered Mediterranean while being drastically different in seasonality and overall feel.
Sure, but snow will never be the dominant pattern in winter. If it is the dominant pattern then it's not Oceanic.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Sure, but snow will never be the dominant pattern in winter. If it is the dominant pattern then it's not Oceanic.
It would alternate between cold rain and snow but snow can dominate during colder segments of winter in borderline places such as this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneau,_Alaska#Climate

Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Definitely out of my league here but Hawaii has snow. That count?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
It would alternate between cold rain and snow but snow can dominate during colder segments of winter in borderline places such as this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneau,_Alaska#Climate
Juneau is borderline though; as such it proves my point. As soon as the balance tips towards snow and ice: poof! There goes your Oceanic.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Good points but I guess I also wonder at what point of snow cover does a climate switch from oceanic to semi-continental to continental. Is it one week? two weeks? a month? three months? And can a Cfb climate have one winter that is semi-continental and another that is not? For instance, Vancouver's coldest month on record was January 1950 with an average high of -2 (28F) and a low of -9C (16F) which would qualify as full blown continental. Does that mean that Vancouver is not a true oceanic climate like London or Dublin because they have never had a month like that?

Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Definitely out of my league here but Hawaii has snow. That count?
Altitude is a difficult variable to incorporate into the matrix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather