Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Jet stream is digging! I'm such a geek. Watch the storm now form off the coast and then blow up!

Look at that Jet Streak over Kentucky. 120+mph! Round the bend and come off the coast and blow the storm up

SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 07:04 AM

Here's the view from Nashville, VT near Burlington. looking Northeast at Mansfield. (snow coming in from behind soon)

Nashville, Vermont Weather

Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 AM

Network of webcams from Bloomsky. Here's a couple of images from MA there.

https://map.bloomsky.com/

Old 12-29-2016, 08:02 AM

Such ashame.

It's still below freezing 5000' over Atlantic City northward so the snow is pretty much melting below 4000' over NJ, NYC & Southeast PA right now. Such ashame to have cold mid levels and not be able to produce snow there.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here's the view from Nashville, VT near Burlington. looking Northeast at Mansfield. (snow coming in from behind soon)
The spine of the greens has a good shot at getting wrap-around and orographic lift from this storm. 2 feet at Mansfield/Stowe wouldn't surprise me. I'm at Killington. There should be some microclimate pockets on the mountain that see 2 feet but I doubt I'll see more than a foot in my driveway.

I have to drive from Vermont to meet my girlfriend who arrives on a 6pm flight in Boston today. It's a rain event there but the drive down I-89/I-93 could be pretty ugly. I'll be sleeping in my Mass summer house tonight. No way I'm doing that drive twice in one day.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Its snowing at least 3500' above NJ, Eastern PA, NYC & Long Island. Melting to rain at surface.

Almost forgot this was end of December. Had it been November I'd probably be at +5C at least up there.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/......=1&source=1

Old 12-29-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The spine of the greens has a good shot at getting wrap-around and orographic lift from this storm. 2 feet at Mansfield/Stowe wouldn't surprise me. I'm at Killington. There should be some microclimate pockets on the mountain that see 2 feet but I doubt I'll see more than a foot in my driveway.

I have to drive from Vermont to meet my girlfriend who arrives on a 6pm flight in Boston today. It's a rain event there but the drive down I-89/I-93 could be pretty ugly. I'll be sleeping in my Mass summer house tonight. No way I'm doing that drive twice in one day.
Yikes! The flight will make it (then again might be delayed from the storm around) but the ride home back is not gonna be pretty. Hope you got snow tires or a Plan B. It should be full fledged by then NW of Boston.. Clearing Vermont after 10pm. You are almost better to drive SouthEast to Hartford, then North to Vermont! Don't risk it.

Play the loop here and figure out the timing. 7pm the storm is right over Boston and pounding snow across MA and NH and VT.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Yikes! The flight will make it (then again might be delayed from the storm around) but the ride home back is not gonna be pretty. Hope you got snow tires or a Plan B. It should be full fledged by then NW of Boston.. Clearing Vermont after 10pm. You are almost better to drive SouthEast to Hartford, then North to Vermont! Don't risk it.

Play the loop here and figure out the timing. 7pm the storm is right over Boston and pounding snow across MA and NH and VT.
I already pulled the plug on driving from Boston back to Vermont yesterday when it became clear that New London, NH was going to see 18" and 2" per hour. I called a friend yesterday to turn up the heat at my Massachusetts summer house on the coast 60 miles south of Boston. I'll do the Vermont drive after everything is plowed on Friday.

I have AWD and best-of-breed snow tires. It might be a 40 mph drive to Boston this afternoon but I-89 and I-93 are always plowed pretty well and there won't be many cars on the road southbound. Black ice is the dangerous driving condition and this storm shouldn't produce any.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:48 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times
Quote:
Such ashame.

It's still below freezing 5000' over Atlantic City northward so the snow is pretty much melting below 4000' over NJ, NYC & Southeast PA right now. Such ashame to have cold mid levels and not be able to produce snow there.
Did you get any snow before the changeover this morning, or will it be all rain for you? Kinda curious because you seemed to be right on that rain/snow line when it started.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:43 AM

574 posts, read 1,306,430 times
Snow Is pretty heavy here...but tending not to stick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather