Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
Coldest town in the Southern Hemisphere? Ushuaia has a lower annual average temperature.
I mean,coldest winter.

Balmaceda average annual low is something between -15/-20C in mormal years,while Ushuaia coldest temperature most years are -4/-6C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 11:45 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
I mean,coldest winter.

Balmaceda average annual low is something between -15/-20C in mormal years,while Ushuaia coldest temperature most years are -4/-6C.
What causes those low average summer maximums in Balmaceda?

There are places here at similar latitude/altitude and with similar average lows in summer as Balmaceda, but the summers average maximums are typically 4-6C warmer than Balmaceda, despite being cloudier and wetter.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What causes those low average summer maximums in Balmaceda?

There are places here at similar latitude/altitude and with similar average lows in summer as Balmaceda, but the summers average maximums are typically 4-6C warmer than Balmaceda, despite being cloudier and wetter.
That is strange,because Balmaceda summer is dry,and it is located on the limit where trees can grow and the patagonian steppe,so by logic it summer would be warmer,some others questions like the crazy cold anomalies it get sometimes considering it averages and distance from the ocean(220km only) ,I still don't know exactly what cause thoses events.

Maybe the cold Humboldt current still have a great effect there? who know.

Last edited by ghost-likin; 01-06-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Quote:
I mean,coldest winter.

Rio Grande and Tolhuin, both in Tierra del Fuego, have colder winters than Balmaceda and they are bigger towns (Rio Grande actually has a city scale) while Balmaceda only qualifies as a tinny village.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,871 times
December and 2016

Dec was very wet, and gloomy. Precip was 165 % of normal at Værnes, and Trondheim-Voll even recorded 210 mm (263 %). Dec was warmer than average, but colder than last year.
Dec 24-hr average at Trondheim - Værnes is -0.8ºC using 1986-2015 as base period, and was -1.9ºC using 1961-90.

As the met.office has closed the eklima database (a new is underway) since the last week of December, sunhours for Dec are estimated based on data from the first three weeks of month and cloudiness the last week or so of month. Will be very close as there was so little sun anyway, also due to very short daylight hours.
This is also why Bergen and Drammen are lacking sunhours in Dec.

Overall, the annual mean for 2016 was almost a full 1C colder than last year, and also colder than 2014. January had a real coldspell lasting more than two weeks. August was the most disappointing month to me. October was the largest surprise, with that monster high and all the sun.
First year with a sunrecorder here in a spot without any serious blocking issues, and we almost made 1,600 sunhours, almost 250 more than the old average, which has blocking issues.

Here is Kotsøy, inland valley 51 km S of Trondheim as the crow flies. Only 127 m asl, and still a lot more snow and colder lows. Notice snow cover (marked grey area illustrating height of snow cover on the ground) from Dec to early April, mostly 30-60 cm on the ground. Climate data for 2016 at Kotsøy corresponds to a Dsb climate due to the dry June and wet December.

credit: http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/S%C3%B...tatistics.html

Bergen. Very wet in July and August compared to normal.

Drammen near Oslo. Very dry and sunny December. So Drammen and Oslo will have had ca 1,800 sunhours in 2016.

Last edited by Jakobsli; 01-06-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Rio Grande and Tolhuin, both in Tierra del Fuego, have colder winters than Balmaceda and they are bigger towns (Rio Grande actually has a city scale) while Balmaceda only qualifies as a tinny village.
They have cooler averages,but Balmaceda have more potential for extreme cold,I mean,what other town/city can have days like that :

As I said,Balmaceda annual average low is between -15/-20C,I dont see other inhabitated place at low altitude here in Southern Hemisphere who can get thoses temperatures almost every winter.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:01 PM

795 posts, read 739,545 times
Quote:
They have cooler averages,but Balmaceda have more potential for extreme cold,I mean,what other town/city can have days like that :

As I said,Balmaceda annual average low is between -15/-20C,I dont see other inhabitated place at low altitude here in Southern Hemisphere who can get thoses temperatures almost every winter.
It seems like you are always talking about extremes but you don't say that you are so we assume that you are talking about averages.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
More crappy stats from a crappy country with crappy weather pattern. If in 2017 Gaythenburg, Pölvästi, Trondhomo and others get all the good stuff while we suffer with horse manure, terrible things will happen.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I updated the snowfall stats for December for Vancouver Airport. There are 4cm more for the airport in December than the original chart I posted which hadn't been verified by Environment Canada when I first posted. I am also posting Abbotsford Airport stats which is in the eastern part of Metro Vancouver and shows the climate away from the immediate ocean influence and more closely resembles Seattle's stats than Vancouver. Summers can be quite a bit warmer as you can see. I will also post the downtown stats and of course with the urban heat island, night time lows were warmer. EC didn't collect individual rainfall and snowfall stats for downtown so I just included the precipitation figures.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:46 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
December and 2016

Dec was very wet, and gloomy. Precip was 165 % of normal at Værnes, and Trondheim-Voll even recorded 210 mm (263 %). Dec was warmer than average, but colder than last year.
Dec 24-hr average at Trondheim - Værnes is -0.8ºC using 1986-2015 as base period, and was -1.9ºC using 1961-90.

As the met.office has closed the eklima database (a new is underway) since the last week of December, sunhours for Dec are estimated based on data from the first three weeks of month and cloudiness the last week or so of month. Will be very close as there was so little sun anyway, also due to very short daylight hours.
This is also why Bergen and Drammen are lacking sunhours in Dec.

Overall, the annual mean for 2016 was almost a full 1C colder than last year, and also colder than 2014. January had a real coldspell lasting more than two weeks. August was the most disappointing month to me. October was the largest surprise, with that monster high and all the sun.
First year with a sunrecorder here in a spot without any serious blocking issues, and we almost made 1,600 sunhours, almost 250 more than the old average, which has blocking issues.

Here is Kotsøy, inland valley 51 km S of Trondheim as the crow flies. Only 127 m asl, and still a lot more snow and colder lows. Notice snow cover (marked grey area illustrating height of snow cover on the ground) from Dec to early April, mostly 30-60 cm on the ground. Climate data for 2016 at Kotsøy corresponds to a Dsb climate due to the dry June and wet December.

credit: Yr

Bergen. Very wet in July and August compared to normal.

Drammen near Oslo. Very dry and sunny December. So Drammen and Oslo will have had ca 1,800 sunhours in 2016.
Wow, gloomy is right ....only 10 sunshine hours for Trondheim in december
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather