Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

This is really a tough call. I don't get paid to do this and I don't forecast so I leave it up to the "pros". It will be fun to see what is being forecasted and what will happen. I gotta say its going to be tough to snow in central gulf states or the Carolina coasts. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Seems one of the local Mets brought up the euro snowfall map because people are mentioning a foot of snow. How often on here do we start a thread for Southern snow? Exciting times !
New 12z Euro data for Raleigh. Looks like rain Friday afternoon and evening then changes to snow overnight. Check out the air mass. Wow! -15C at 5000'. Sunday night and Monday gonna be cold there. Snow might not melt much.

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This is really a tough call. I don't get paid to do this and I don't forecast so I leave it up to the "pros". It will be fun to see what is being forecasted and what will happen. I gotta say its going to be tough to snow in central gulf states or the Carolina coasts. We'll see.

New 12z Euro data for Raleigh. Looks like rain Friday afternoon and evening then changes to snow overnight. Check out the air mass. Wow! -15C at 5000'. Sunday night and Monday gonna be cold there. Snow might not melt much.

-13c??? A bit too extreme and goes off the assumption of a good snowpack. Hopefully it's wrong , anything below 13degrees Fahrenheit is a no from me. I'll pass, gfs doesn't show a low that cold here because it lacks the snowpack, when it didn't It did show Temps that cold.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Looking at the Euro12z model from today, Northeast actually see snow Friday & Saturday too. Believe it or not Long Island and coastal CT have a better chance than Hartford.

Here's why..

There are 2 storms back to back (imagine if were big snowstorms)

First one. Friday morning (NO BIG DEAL). Storm track staying well over the ocean to miss us with the heavier precip. There might be spots in Maryland and Delaware that see moderate snows for an hour or so, more than points north.

Second one, the bigger one. Saturday evening. The one that could drop snows in Gulf states and Mid Atlantic. Euro shows the position of the storm right there Saturday 7pm.

With this, it would snow in NJ, Long Island, Coastal CT and Eastern MA. (NOT ALOT).

BUT WHAT IF THIS SHIFTS JUST 50 MILES?????? Then we'll get some accumulations.

I AM RULING OUT A BIG SNOWSTORM THOUGH. I doubt it shifts west 200 miles to give us a big snowstorm.

But now you see how truly close we were to getting back to back snowstorms in the northeast. Literally couple hundred miles.

Isn't this fascinating?

Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 PM

HiRes NAM model getting within range for 2nd wave now. (Only goes out 84hrs)

Heres 1st wave..

Thursday 10pm. So Ohio valley gettimg snow Thursday evening even into Philly area and South NJ. (1-3")

Heres the last frame available.

Saturday 1am
NAM likes southern state snows too.

Good timing for at night. If everything speeds up by 12hrs, goodbye southern snow chances

Old 01-03-2017, 03:12 PM

From NWS NY mentions the Polar Vortex, the cold air, and the "potential" for a westward shift closer to the coast to bring us more snow Saturday. (not the consensus at the moment) and the light snow for Friday for this area.

Quote:
National Weather Service New York NY
439 PM EST Tue Jan 3 2017

WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Models in good agreement with a shift to a colder regime as the
polar jet takes a southward dip into the northeast quarter of the
nation. The short term climate signal, the AO, also favors this
colder pattern.

The uncertainty in this period lies in the storm track...with a
couple of opportunities for interaction of the northern and
southern stream. The sensitivity for the forecast lies first in
the evolution of an elongated northern stream shortwave currently
over the NW US and E PAC; specifically how much of the energy
moves east, in what stream, and at what what time. Then secondly
with the strength of a polar low diving south of Hudson`s Bay for
the weekend.

The first sequence of events will determine how close a
progressive southern low tracks to the coast Thu Night into Fri
and how much moisture is available ahead of an approaching
northern stream shortwave. A low-moderate potential exists for a
light snowfall at this time.

Next...the combo of the first and
second sequence of events will determine how close a stronger and
moisture richer coastal low will track to the coast Sat into Sat
Night...for a potentially heavier snow event. At this
point...based on aforementioned complexity of
interaction...predictability is low but will bear watching over
the next few days.

Polar high pressure and drier/cold weather follows for Sunday
into Monday.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:24 PM

149 posts, read 89,387 times
I was looking at the NAM model, and noticed something odd. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I'm not really sure why it's showing snow accumulations in areas where it only seems to show rainfall. Does anyone know why that is?

Jan 6-7, 2017 Southern & Mid Atlantic U.S Snowstorm-discrepancy.png

Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
I was looking at the NAM model, and noticed something odd. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I'm not really sure why it's showing snow accumulations in areas where it only seems to show rainfall. Does anyone know why that is?

Attachment 179297
NAM does that. I remember last winter, it showed several inches accumulating along the SC coast. It turned out to be just a 40 F rain storm. It always seems to underestimate snow melt in the atmosphere in well above freezing temps.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM

269 posts, read 237,606 times
Weather underground is now showing a 35% chance of snow 8 A.M. Saturday. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
Nice catch! lol. Not even the 850mb temps aloft support snow there. . There's a reason it printed that out but you would have to ask Levi why. He'll know. He'll answer. Post the image too. Might be using another algorithm to print the snow maps. Most just use the 850mb freezing line which isn't the best either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
Weather underground is now showing a 35% chance of snow 8 A.M. Saturday. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Good luck! Hope you get something. Probably last chance of year? Who knows. Maybe not.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
The bulk of the moisture for this storm will definitely be south of the colder air. For example as per Wunderground, Saint Simons Island is expecting almost an inch and a half of rain from this storm, whereas I'm only expected to get 0.6 inches of rain.

Augusta is only expected to get like 0.4 inches of rain followed by a light mix, so if any changeover occurs Saturday, expect it to be light and not accumulate unless the moisture track trends north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather