U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM

29,032 posts, read 50,279,213 times

Advertisements

MILFORD, N.H. -- Milford police are pulling over drivers who do not brush snow off their vehicles.

Police said they have pulled over 300 drivers in the past couple of weeks.

Police Pull Over Hundreds For Not Brushing Off Vehicles - New Hampshire News Story - WMUR Manchester (http://www.wmur.com/news/15444364/detail.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 AM

9,803 posts, read 14,401,532 times
good!

it's about time !

Old 03-01-2008, 12:51 PM

20,005 posts, read 71,992,699 times
Good! Im tired of seeing lazy buttheads not take 2 minutes out of their time to brush the snow off. Ive seen cars compeletely covered except where the windshield wipers could clear. Talk about stupid and dangerous. What I hate the most is when idiot brush off the snow but oh-so-conveniently forget to clear the snow off their license plates. Boneheads.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,095,996 times
LOL this is a big thing here in NH.. My husband is an officer and said he'd probably never pull someone over for this because its the dumbest thing he's heard (specifically for snow ON TOP of car).. And I agree. So what if you have snow on top of your car. You shouldnt' be traveling close enough to me to let it impact you anyways. We don't have any speedlimits in town here that go over 35 mph so i can't even get fast enough to get the snow off the top. Yeah I can see it if its covering the license plates or heat lights back window etc., but on top of your car.. Give me a break have we nothing else to worry about except what other people are doing? Its 10x's more dangerous to be driving in the snow, which I have to do every day than it is to have it on the top of my car

Old 03-02-2008, 06:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 71,992,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
LOL this is a big thing here in NH.. My husband is an officer and said he'd probably never pull someone over for this because its the dumbest thing he's heard (specifically for snow ON TOP of car).. And I agree. So what if you have snow on top of your car. You shouldnt' be traveling close enough to me to let it impact you anyways. We don't have any speedlimits in town here that go over 35 mph so i can't even get fast enough to get the snow off the top. Yeah I can see it if its covering the license plates or heat lights back window etc., but on top of your car.. Give me a break have we nothing else to worry about except what other people are doing? Its 10x's more dangerous to be driving in the snow, which I have to do every day than it is to have it on the top of my car
Just wait until you slam on your brakes one day and that huge sheet of snow on top of your car comes sliding down onto your windshield, completely blinding you and making you a hazard. And forget about trying to use the wipers, it wont budge it.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM

18,696 posts, read 38,383,290 times
Hmmm. I thought Protect and Serve was in there somewhere. If there is a driver on the road that is too irresponible to maintain their vehicle in a safe manner and operate it in a safe manner, then the Police should pull them over.

Like mentioned, the snow can slide forward, or even just going down the road, the snow blows onto the rear window and most vehicles don't have a rear wiper. And, a LOT of drivers have no clue what the rear view mirror is for on the other side of the vehicle.

The other thing I see that is completely dumb. People scrape a little 8 inch square spot to peek through until the defroster catches up.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-04-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,095,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Hmmm. I thought Protect and Server was in there somewhere. If there is a driver on the road that is too irresponible to maintain their vehicle in a safe manner and operate it in a safe manner, then the Police should pull them over.

Like mentioned, the snow can slide forward, or even just going down the road, the snow blows onto the rear window and most vehicles don't have a rear wiper. And, a LOT of drivers have no clue what the rear view mirror is for on the other side of the vehicle.

The other thing I see that is completely dumb. People scrape a little 8 inch square spot to peek through until the defroster catches up.
There is a protect and serve and yes if they had like 2 feet of snow on the car then I'm sure he'd pull them over but come on 5-6 inches of snow? He has more important things to worry about like warrents, speeders and drunk drivers than someone with snow on their car. We can't even get above 35 mph in the town im in because A its so small and B the max limit is just that. However with all the pot holes it acts as an awesome natural speed bump. They just go to the extreames with some laws. One thing happens and its like omg we have to ticket everyone and freak out about it.
That law was put into place becasue of a girl who was driving behind an 18 wheel on the HIGHWAY and a piece of ice flew off and did the damage. Not a country road going 20 mph.. Besides no on should be close enough to my tail to get hit with anything coming off my car.. Esp in the snow IMO this law is like passing a law in Fla that say all must be inside during a storm because you MIGHT get hit by lightening becasue people have in the past.. I mean how do you monitor what everyone does

Old 03-08-2008, 02:50 AM

2,177 posts, read 8,522,947 times
It is a good idea to clean off as much snow as you can.
But on some vehicles a person can't reach it all.
Like pickups trucks with caps on the bed, vans, some suv's. Even if you have a long handle brush, scraper, or broom, some of us can't reach over the top corner to get it all.
But their isn't much excuse for people not cleaning off windows, hoods, roofs and trunk lids on cars.
And you certainly can't reach the top of a semi trailer.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 35,894,920 times
My wife is not tall (can't say she is short you know ) and she drives a Suburban that is always clear, even the top. I bought one of the brushes you apply driveway sealer with and has a long handle, about 4' long. She can brush off the top of the suburban without getting a drop on herself. There is little excuse for NOT clearing your entire vehicle.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM

431 posts, read 1,557,315 times
to put it another way don't you think that if you add six inches to the hood of your car that it would change your perspective of how close you really are to another car since you can not see the end of your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather