Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Seville in January 16 61.54%
Tromso in July 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

A wild place at the edge of the Earth.

That said, I would rather visit Seville in January than July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Tromso for the daylight hours

Old 01-13-2017, 04:09 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Also life expectancies are extremely high in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland in spite of our extreme daylight cycles.

red line represents the arctic circle.

the vast majority of Scandinavia's population lives well south of 65°N. so its not really fair to say. and i never said it made a large difference anyway, especially for people living south of 65°N. only that it makes a difference, likely a small difference.

technically the same is true for Iceland but its nearly 65°N so Iceland in particular is interesting to point out. as i'm sure you know there are so many reasons for what determines a country's life expectancy so i don't think this fact can hold any significance unless there was somehow another country that was identical in every way to Iceland except it was located much closer to the equator and had the same or lower life expectancy.

Quote:
I think the absence of extreme heat makes it a healthier environment than Florida as long as the indoor heating works. Outdoors the body has to battle heat stroke at least 50 % of days a year in southern FL.
lol no reason to get defensive. i am well aware of the health effects for someone with northern european ancestry living in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Our bodies aren't "designed" for anything. But they happen to be adaptable to almost everything.
sure they are, look at your ancestry. your body is likely to perform better in a region that your ancestors spent generations living in.

not sure why i even have to point out something as obvious as skin pigmentation.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 01-13-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 04:30 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post

red line represents the arctic circle.

the vast majority of Scandinavia's population lives well south of 65°N. so its not really fair to say. and i never said it made a large difference anyway, especially for people living south of 65°N.

technically the same is true for Iceland but its nearly 65°N so Iceland in particular is fair to say.

lol no reason to get defensive. i am well aware of the health effects for someone with northern european ancestry living in Florida.

sure they are, look at your ancestry. your body is likely to perform better in a region that your ancestors spent generations living in.

not sure why i even have to point out something as obvious as skin pigmentation.
The red line doesn't represent anything.

Look at my ancestry? That doesn't mean that my body was DESIGNED by anything. For the human body to be designed for something means that there would be a designer, for example a god, which is obviously impossible.

What skin colour has to do with all this I don't understand.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Ah. Sir Goochworthy is back again with his "people can only survive extremely boring climates" nonsense.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:32 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Ah. Sir Goochworthy is back again with his "people can only survive extremely boring climates" nonsense.
Is Tromsö a better climate in your mind than any ConUS climate Alex?

Old 01-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Is Tromsö a better climate in your mind than any ConUS climate Alex?
Nope, it's too moderate lol. My fav climate (in the lower 48) is probably Grand Forks, ND. I like the snowbelt regions as well but the temperatures in winter are a bit too close to freezing for my liking....

Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The red line doesn't represent anything.

Look at my ancestry? That doesn't mean that my body was DESIGNED by anything. For the human body to be designed for something means that there would be a designer, for example a god, which is obviously impossible.

What skin colour has to do with all this I don't understand.
"design" is up to interpretation. i was referring to evolution. believing in god is not required for understanding my point.

darker skin pigmentation is more resilient to solar radiation. it has also been proven that some groups with darker skin need more vitamin D (from the sun). because their bodies have the expectation that they will receive a certain amount of solar radiation.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Those effects you see in wintertime especially without snow cover. As it is, the greatest difficulty in that regard is probably found in the exterior islands south-west of where Tromsö is given that those locations lack daily means below freezing all winter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8st#Climate) Also life expectancies are extremely high in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland in spite of our extreme daylight cycles.

I think the absence of extreme heat makes it a healthier environment than Florida as long as the indoor heating works. Outdoors the body has to battle heat stroke at least 50 % of days a year in southern FL.
The big problem with Florida isn't even the heat or the sun strength, it's the humidity. Southern Florida is like a Turkish sauna year round. All that humidity really takes a toll on your body

Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The big problem with Florida isn't even the heat or the sun strength, it's the humidity. Southern Florida is like a Turkish sauna year round. All that humidity really takes a toll on your body
No it's not.

You act like we have our July/August weather year round. A 75 F average high is hardly "hot and humid" certainly warm though.

Not to mention further north in FL has average highs in the 60s in winter with lows in the upper 30s or low 40s. Hardly a "Turkish Sauna".

You're right in the sense that it can be warm and humid in winter here.

Last edited by alex985; 01-13-2017 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather