Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:29 PM

269 posts, read 247,099 times

Advertisements

My husband loves tracking weather and I've been thinking about getting him a Personal Weather Station that can broadcast the results on WunderGround. I've picked out two possible weather stations and they both cost about $300:
  • Ambient Weather WS-1001-WIFI OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station with Solar Radiation and UV
  • Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station

I've read the reviews on Amazon and both weather stations seem about the same. Does anyone have any experience with either brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
My husband loves tracking weather and I've been thinking about getting him a Personal Weather Station that can broadcast the results on WunderGround. I've picked out two possible weather stations and they both cost about $300:
  • Ambient Weather WS-1001-WIFI OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station with Solar Radiation and UV

I've read the reviews on Amazon and both weather stations seem about the same. Does anyone have any experience with either brand?
I have the Ambient Weather WS-1001 and although the rain gauge doesn't work properly for me, it's durability, accurate temperature recording, easiness of connecting it to the internet, and quick set up makes me feel like I made a good choice.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I have the Ambient Weather WS-1001 and although the rain gauge doesn't work properly for me, it's durability, accurate temperature recording, easiness of connecting it to the internet, and quick set up makes me feel like I made a good choice.
Thanks for the feedback! Why do you think the rain gauge doesn't work?

Old 01-14-2017, 08:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Why do you think the rain gauge doesn't work?
I have no idea. It worked the first few weeks then just didn't one day. I've had it for over a year now though and everything else works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Personal Weather Stations-img_1404.jpg  

Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 PM

574 posts, read 1,306,430 times
Definately choose netatmo! It's awesome and has really good history graphs plus connects to Wunderground and also has its own netatmo app with readings! Also has the best rain gauge!

Old 01-15-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausweatherman View Post
Definately choose netatmo! It's awesome and has really good history graphs plus connects to Wunderground and also has its own netatmo app with readings! Also has the best rain gauge!
I haven't heard of this brand but will check it out. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Davis stations are the best IMO. I believe even some official Met agencies use them...

Old 01-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Davis stations are the best IMO. I believe even some official Met agencies use them...
Thanks for the reply!

I ended up ordering the Davis weather station.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
It's a hard life outside--all day, everyday. Sun, rain, hail. It's tough on equipment. I had an Oregon Scientific weather station for 9 years, and finally the components just started to rot from the UV exposure. It was fun while I had it, but very sad as it started to deteriorate. Cost a pretty good bit of $$$$, only to watch it last seeming, a short time.

That said, I'd look into Oregon Scientific equipment. Don't spend too much at first. Just see how enthused he is about it. I had great fun with mine, but it was tempered by cost. Also, it's hard to find compatible parts (vanes, anemometers, etc.) after a few years. My anemometer (wind gauge) caught some hail after several years and other than used parts on eBay, it was almost impossible to find parts.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:08 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I actually missed these 2 posts from different threads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm looking at Home Weather Stations.
I need a wireless set up that can tell me Temp, Humidity, Rainfall amount, Barometric pressure. The ones I am finding are sometimes much more than I need - and more expensive, too! I would like to spend $100 - $150 or so.

Anyone have any experience with these things?
You'll love my next post below then. If out of stock try this one. Had it for years.

Quote:
Did you end up getting anything for him? He would LOVE that gift! And tell him to start posting in this forum too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather