Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Not to mention March is overall a chilly month anyways, much closer weather wise to January than July (which should be expected). A flip of a calendar doesn't mean trees are gonna be blooming, it's gonna be 70 degrees and sunny all of a sudden. The people who are "surprised" by March/early April snows sound silly, especially when they live in a place that it's not unusual to get snow and chilly weather at that time of year. These people are surprised by the same snowfalls every single year it seems.
Exactly. The average March temperature here is barely above freezing and probably at or below in Upstate NY. It has snowed multiple times in March and April and occasionally we get massive storms like the one last week. I remember a huge blizzard occurring in April when I was a little kid (I think 1997). My cousin was born in the middle of an ice/snow storm in early April 2003. My parents wedding pictures from March 31, 1990 have snow in the background. Those are just a few anecdotal examples.

It's like me expecting cool, crisp weather and absolutely no hot and humid in September...completely unrealistic. We're just coming off the heels of summer, just as we're coming off the heels of winter in March. Transition months/seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
77 F with a 53 F dew point here right now, going down to 59 F tonight apparently. It's gonna have to cool off fast.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Exactly. The average March temperature here is barely above freezing and probably at or below in Upstate NY. It has snowed multiple times in March and April and occasionally we get massive storms like the one last week. I remember a huge blizzard in occurring in April when I was a little kid (I think 1997). My cousin was born in the middle of an ice/snow storm in early April 2003. My parents wedding pictures from March 31, 1990 have snow in the background. Those are just a few anecdotal examples.

It's like me expecting cool, crisp weather and absolutely no hot and humid in September...completely unrealistic. We're just coming off the heels of summer, just as we're coming off the heels of winter in March. Transition months/seasons.
Anyways, to most people the March averages in Upstate NY are still pretty wintry so in many respects even though it's warmer than mid-winter months it's still a cold and snowy winter month overall. People expect March to be a "spring" month though so most are disappointed when it's not record warm just because March is "supposed to be warm" because it's "spring".

On a side note people complaining about the supposed "cold" here are really pissing me off. We just had literally the warmest winter on record, March is overall warmer than average this so far, and people are incessantly whining about a couple days with highs in the upper 60's and lows in the lower-mid 50's.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Exactly. The average March temperature here is barely above freezing and probably at or below in Upstate NY. It has snowed multiple times in March and April and occasionally we get massive storms like the one last week. I remember a huge blizzard occurring in April when I was a little kid (I think 1997). My cousin was born in the middle of an ice/snow storm in early April 2003. My parents wedding pictures from March 31, 1990 have snow in the background. Those are just a few anecdotal examples.

Yep. Expecting it to be mild/warm in March in Upstate NY is almost like expecting it to be cool in September in the Deep South, not gonna happen. I get his frustration but the whining is a bit over the top.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
The problem is that March here is too cold to begin with. In New York too. The March warmup is just 5C from January, and in a cold March like this one you essentially get January 2.0 temperatures. I get that March isnt going to be 60s and 70s with chirping birds and jacarandas, but I'm expecting a visible difference from January, which there is none, unless you have a repeat of March 2012. March and April are the most frustrating months here, even some of the snow loving posters here (Steelernation, Cambium, chicagogeorge on most years) admit that the springs in the Northeast could be a good deal warmer. Cold Marches suck ass, out of all people I assume you Florida guys should know how much it sucks getting mid-July weather well into September and October

Look at it this way. Snow in March+April is like going on a five mile jog after finishing your leg workouts. It's like taking shots of vodka when everyone is already heading home. It's like your boss telling you at 4:59 that he wants you to work late. That's what it is like

Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM

I did say I get your frustration, but that your whining is a bit over the top. I'm disappointed by our September weather usually but I don't complain nearly as often as you.

Here the seasonal range is lower, so sometimes we can get May or June like weather in November or December. Have you ever had December like weather in June? Probably not. You guys up there at least get a warm summer as a break from the cold. The winters here are warm and often hot. There's no break from the heat here. Even in January you're not safe from it being hot here. You're pretty safe from it being cold in July up there, barring a couple of cool July nights.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Well, cold is coming to an end with more seasonable weather overall next week. Might get up to 80 Tuesday making it the first 80 of march. There will also be some cool days with a couple possible frosts but not like past week which was second coldest in books!

I was frustrated last week and really up to today, tomorrow should start the more normal trend. Struggling to break 30s in mid March, I mean come on. Luckily that is not a normal occurence and after 3 80 degree days in February It was doomed to all balance out . What really pissed me off was all the nights in low 20s... average last night in low 20s is start of March not mid march...

Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,123 times
Quote:
I did say I get your frustration, but that your whining is a bit over the top. I'm disappointed by our September weather usually but I don't complain nearly as often as you.

Here the seasonal range is lower, so sometimes we can get May or June like weather in November or December. Have you ever had December like weather in June? Probably not. You guys up there at least get a warm summer as a break from the cold. The winters here are warm and often hot. There's no break from the heat here. Even in January you're not safe from it being hot here. You're pretty safe from it being cold in July up there, barring a couple of cool July nights.
He should relax and go with the flow without complaining.... Things will happen for a reason. This March was not ideal IMO but so was January and February. Monroe could hit 60°F this weekend and NYC close to 70°F. But before that it will feel like going on a roller coaster this week with a warm up Monday and Tuesday then temperatures fall on Wednesday and warm up again on Thu-Sat.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:

If it helps, we're pretty safe from the cold from June until the end of September. On a good year April can be nice too. April is a huge wild card, so if you're coming off a cold March, you're asking yourself, how will April be this year? Will it be a nice sigh of relief where you can finally store your jacket in your closet and do some nice outdoor activities? Or will it be nearly as cold and dreadful as March?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
He should relax and go with the flow without complaining.... Things will happen for a reason. This March was not ideal IMO but so was January and February. Monroe could hit 60°F this weekend and NYC close to 70°F. But before that it will feel like going on a roller coaster this week with a warm up Monday and Tuesday then temperatures fall on Wednesday and warm up again on Thu-Sat.
Man when the weather is like it has been the past two weeks life is not normal. You can't be outside for too long cause the air hurts your face. You can't do any outdoor activities. You have to spend more money on buses and taxis, since what could have been a charming 15 block walk is now a vigorous test against the elements. You have to spend all your time coddled up indoors. I hate living like this, and I hope to escape to a climate where this sort of weather would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing, as opposed to being a damn near guarantee for the first three or four months of the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather