Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times

Advertisements

I've lived through a few hurricanes (Sandy, Gloria come to mind) and plenty of really bad "tropical storms" and nor'easters. (Floyd and Allison come to mind quickly, as well as a nor'easter in March of... 1983? -- not sure -- and December of 1996). But they weren't as scary as two weather "events", one of which was endless:

(1) Unnamed storm in June 2015. I was working in Hammonton, NJ, around 5:30 PM. Suddenly all the power went out. Everyone's cellphone was blowing up with tornado warnings. The wind was shrieking. We could hear the trees crashing all around us, so we huddled in the middle of the building. It was over quickly. When we went outside, it looked like a bomb had gone off in the town. Gigantic trees were down everywhere; none on top of our building, TG. It took forever to get home, because street after street was blocked with downed trees. It turned out not to be a tornado, but one of those dreaded "microbursts". People who were out driving at the time told me telephone poles were lifting out of the ground on the Black Horse Pike and that they thought they were going to die. We were without power for 5 days after that. I hope I never see another storm like that.

(2) Ice storm after ice storm in the winter of 93-94, although the ice storms happened during the '94 part of the winter. I had to drive to New Brunswick to teach (170 miles roundtrip) and after one of those storms hit while I was teaching, the NJ Turnpike was a mess. Thick, bumpy ice everywhere. It took me many hours to get home. I thought I would lose my mind that winter if we got hit with another ice storm; we inevitably did, though. I think I have never been so glad to see the spring! Well, maybe after the Blizzard of January 1996...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,395 times
The worst I had was on France 3 years ago. Between Dijon - Langres, driving back to NL, from a few rain drops it started to rain massively, a huge torrential rain plus wind on it, making the rain to go directly to your windows, in the middle of the highway, all the people started to drive at 30km/h in a 130km/h zone, most of the trucks stopped on the side of the road, all the people was going with the lights + also the fog lights but you couldn't see anything, when a car got ahead of you even at 5-6 meters all of the water was going to your windshield, it was really scary, the visibility was almost null.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,599,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The hottest it got here last summer officially was 118° on June 19th
LOL - thanks for the correction. I must have been where it was unofficially 120F. You should have been at my house when the A/C died and no swimming pool here to help cool off. Regardless of the 2 degree differential, it was a summer to remember!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The hottest it got here last summer officially was 118° on June 19th
That doesn't mean the whole town was 118 degrees. Officially that means the place where they take the temperature. In Vegas its the airport. Have you heard of micro-climates? Spots where it is cooler or hotter than those in the same areas.
MY house is always 10 to 15 degrees cooler as I'm at a much higher elevation than the airport. Mt Charleston could be 30 to 40 degrees cooler on Vegas's hottest day.

You seriously took the time to try to make the poster WRONG by looking up the official temperature? Which in turn made you wrong.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
From the Midwest. Been through a few Micro bursts that could have easily turned to tornados, that's scary! Also -40 wind chills & many blizzards!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
That doesn't mean the whole town was 118 degrees. Officially that means the place where they take the temperature. In Vegas its the airport. Have you heard of micro-climates? Spots where it is cooler or hotter than those in the same areas.
MY house is always 10 to 15 degrees cooler as I'm at a much higher elevation than the airport. Mt Charleston could be 30 to 40 degrees cooler on Vegas's hottest day.

You seriously took the time to try to make the poster WRONG by looking up the official temperature? Which in turn made you wrong.
I don't count personal weather stations, and I didn't have to look it up, I remembered it, though I was in Los Angeles that day, where it was about 20° cooler, though still hot by area standards

Old 01-22-2017, 02:05 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Almost having a heat stroke when I lived in NC during a heat wave where the temp was over 100 degrees and I had no a/c in my car. Had to drive from Goldsboro to Kinston (around 45 miles). Practically collapsed when I got to my destination. Even after sitting in a cool tub for an hour my temp was 101.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:01 PM

659 posts, read 898,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Walking around D.C. and the nearby historical sites back in July 2012. It was 104-106 with dews in the low 70s. Many things were outside and there was no shade and it was miserable. The museums were a nice break but there's only so long you can spend on a museum and of course, we had to get from one to another.
I was going to say exactly the same thing but for me it was 2007. Walking a few blocks to the next museum was torture. The Weather Channel was there reporting on the heatwave. I was almost on TV.

I had a similar experience in Toronto in the late 90's. I think it reached 104f that day and the humidity was so bad you couldn't see the CN tower in the haze.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:38 PM

997 posts, read 936,155 times
Flood. I lived in a town that floods badly.

There was a bad storm that knocked down all the trees and crushed the houses on the street. Only 2, but I would have gotten squished except the tree split in half in midair and the half of the tree flew away somewhere. It was a half a tree that ended right by my bedroom. It was a giant redwood, not a twig...I don't think that is common.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,501 times
i was walking from mcdonalds back home in freezing weather and my penis fell off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather