Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 04:38 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
I don't know which satellite photo is that, but Spain doesn't look like that. Spain looks like this:
Spain can look like either, it just depends on the time fo the year. That particular satellite image was probably from photos made in summer.

The arid areas of Spain are pretty exotic in an European context, nice to have them.

(my photos)

As for actual mediterranean climates, a lot aren't thunderless in summer. Nice gets 29 days with thunder per year, 10 of which in summer (JJA). An extreme example in France would be Perpignan with 25 stormy days, from which more than a half (14) happen in summer.
http://www.meteofrance.fr/documents/...%27740,5ko%27}

And as forgotten username said, copious rainfall, while a rare occurence in the core summer months, can still happen:
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Montpellier (34)
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Le Luc - Cannet des Maures (83)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Really? 33C with low humidity sounds pretty pleasant. I dont start feeling overheated until it hits 40C with low humidity. I imagine for me there would only be a handful of days in Temecula where I would be truly uncomfortable walking outside.
33C and low humidity is fine for a week or a few days but it does get tiring for you know..5 months or so.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Any type of weather would get tiring after a few months of it. 33c and low humidity for five straight months sure as hell beats 5c with endless clouds, or 30c with 85% humidity

Old 01-26-2017, 08:03 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Spain can look like either, it just depends on the time fo the year. That particular satellite image was probably from photos made in summer.

The arid areas of Spain are pretty exotic in an European context, nice to have them.

(my photos)

As for actual mediterranean climates, a lot aren't thunderless in summer. Nice gets 29 days with thunder per year, 10 of which in summer (JJA). An extreme example in France would be Perpignan with 25 stormy days, from which more than a half (14) happen in summer.
http://www.meteofrance.fr/documents/...%27740,5ko%27}

And as forgotten username said, copious rainfall, while a rare occurence in the core summer months, can still happen:
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Montpellier (34)
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Le Luc - Cannet des Maures (83)
Of course.

Credit: https://www.viajacontufamilia.com/vi...n-cabo-de-gata

The only BWk and BWh climates from Europe can be found on Spain. Meanwhile, on the other hand, there also exists the ET (Tundra) climate on the Pyrenees, Cfa, Cfb, Dfb, etc... 13 different climates according to AEMET.

Credit: Viaje al Desierto de Tabernas en Almería o al Lejano Oeste español

Credit: http://www.triangle.cat/postales-sou...lmeria/tema-54

Credit: http://senderosalmariya.blogspot.com...san-pedro.html

Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Yeah, it's cool to not have to travel to Nevada to see some semi-arid places. The rest of Europe is green, so it's cool that Spain has these places too. Maybe Turkey has some dry parts too but that's further already.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:33 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
All these pictures being posted of a few patches of shrubs over rocks isn't really doing much against the argument that med climates can't really support forests. The only places in the mediterranean that seem to get a decent amount of rain are the Eastern Adriatic Sea and parts of Northwestern Italy, but as far as I know most of those places don't fit into the definition of a Csa or Csb

Old 01-27-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
All these pictures being posted of a few patches of shrubs over rocks isn't really doing much against the argument that med climates can't really support forests. The only places in the mediterranean that seem to get a decent amount of rain are the Eastern Adriatic Sea and parts of Northwestern Italy, but as far as I know most of those places don't fit into the definition of a Csa or Csb
lol those are desertic and semiarid zones of Spain, kinda off topic for this thread; seems that you missed many of my posts maded some pages ago showing lots of zones with forests within Spain

no problem, I will put them again

Barx station of AEMET (Valencian community) has an average of rain of 1000mm per year. And it's a purely Mediterranean climate. That's 39.40 inches.

Mediterranean forest in Madrid:

Credit: Mi Pequeño Gran Mundo

Credit: Home - VisitMenorca.com

Credit: Mallorca - La isla que lo tiene todo

Credit: Ibiza, la combinación perfecta - NAUTALIA VIAJES - BLOG OFICIAL

Credit: Visit Altea – Turismo del Ayuntamiento de Altea, Alicante

Credit: Páginas > Parc de Collserola Backend

In those last 2 photos that's Barcelona, mediterranean climate for AEMET (Spanish met agency), humid subtropical climate for others, and a border climate for anothers. That's just Spain...

Ciudad Real, which from the satellite looks very semi-arid, it has a purely Mediterranean Csa climate and has lots of zones like this (Wikipedia image):

Credit: https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/imgServer.do?id=8146113

Up the hill in Riopar, the town from above. Csb climate there, as the altitude is higher:

Credit for all of those last photos: http://www.spaincenter.org/turismo/a...nacimiento.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Mediterranean climates are boring for weather nerds who crave constant change, temperature extremes, and precipitation. For the average person to live in, they're magnificent. Give me the maximum number of sunny, dry days with temps in the 70s, NO snow in the winter (except in the mountains), and NO hot, sticky summer nights, please.

The most ignorant thing the OP said is "The natural landscape is barren and rocky with plants that look like weeds growing everywhere instead of trees." Here's a photo of natural vegetation taken within walking distance of my house in Orange County, CA.
Take a look at this post. In the top of the page 3. Photo from Orange County, Ca. Being very similar to what I posted. Lots of green, natural vegetation.

All of those photos belong to Med. climates. And most get also snow in winters, not much but they get. I could also put photos from Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia, Greece etc and they would be very similar.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Parts of the Pacific Northwest (Victoria, Seattle and Portland) has a Csb Mediterranean climate according to Koppen and it is anything but barren and supports a forest ecosystem.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
33C and low humidity is fine for a week or a few days but it does get tiring for you know..5 months or so.
I could never get tired of 33C and sunny with low humidity and besides, Temecula doesnt get 5 months of it anyway

Old 01-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Parts of the Pacific Northwest (Victoria, Seattle and Portland) has a Csb Mediterranean climate according to Koppen and it is anything but barren and supports a forest ecosystem.
True! Also the north of SF (Baltimore Canyon Open Reserve & Muir Woods) is quite green and has a Csb climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather