Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 01:13 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I live in a desert, and we have grass and trees... Just saying
Honey, I've flown over Arizona and Nevada. You have trees, sure, but looking down that window, I see mostly orange and tan landscapes. You don't have the forests that places further east or on the Pacific coast do. I look down the plane flying over Alabama and its green as the eye can see.

Don't get me wrong, I love desert vegetation and I really wanna visit Arizona and see the saguaros. But I prefer the type of greenery that you won't find in a dry climate. You don't see forests of maples and oaks or lakes with weeping willows adorning the shoreline in places that don't get much rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, the likes of that poster is the type to ***** and moan whenever the weather isn't 100% perfect. It's good to be one of those people that likes a variety in weather.

I'll never understand how you absolutely need it to be dry with the same weather all the time. Talk about being a sensitive little flower.

Yea weather that never changes would bore me to death. At least in South Florida we at the very least had plenty of rainy days.

I just shrug when people worry so much about a storm. The media hype doesn't help. I mean yea some storms can be catastrophic but for the most part, its usually wind and rain that knocks a few branches off but people make them sound like they're apocalyptic. I also find it crazy that there's such a strong bias against even moderate cold, but heat is not criticised so much. Like, maybe its just me but I love feeling cold weather, it makes me think of Christmas, makes me feel fresh and clean. Not to say I never get cold but its so much easier to warm up. I can drink a nice cup of hot cocoa and be warm for a long time. I can drink an ice cold smoothie or eat an ice cream cone outside in the summer and it helps for like, 5 minutes, then I'm just as hot as before.

I'm moving to a new apartment this month, and its got two different pools so I'm actually looking forward to summer this year, and last year I cursed that its my new least favourite season lol but honestly continental climates in my opinion, offer the most in terms of weather. You can have hot humid, warm and dry, mild as can be, bitter cold, lots of snow, lots of rain, lots of sun everything in between.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Honey, I've flown over Arizona and Nevada. You have trees, sure, but looking down that window, I see mostly orange and tan landscapes. You don't have the forests that places further east or on the Pacific coast do. I look down the plane flying over Alabama and its green as the eye can see.

Don't get me wrong, I love desert vegetation and I really wanna visit Arizona and see the saguaros. But I prefer the type of greenery that you won't find in a dry climate. You don't see forests of maples and oaks or lakes with weeping willows adorning the shoreline in places that don't get much rain.
We do have forests in our mountains between 6,500 and 11,500ft of elevation. But I meant that here in the city, it is quite green, wasn't talking about the open desert. In my apartment complex alone, we have grass, palm trees and broadleaf evergreens with one or two deciduous trees. We don't have sand dunes and scrub in the metro except the outskirts

Old 02-07-2017, 01:33 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
I like rain but I hate humidity. The best climates are the ones that are not humid but also get lots of rain. Perth is an excellent example, with low humidity but 28-40 inches of rain a year (depending on the station). Sydney and Porto are good too

Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea weather that never changes would bore me to death. At least in South Florida we at the very least had plenty of rainy days.

I just shrug when people worry so much about a storm. The media hype doesn't help. I mean yea some storms can be catastrophic but for the most part, its usually wind and rain that knocks a few branches off but people make them sound like they're apocalyptic. I also find it crazy that there's such a strong bias against even moderate cold, but heat is not criticised so much. Like, maybe its just me but I love feeling cold weather, it makes me think of Christmas, makes me feel fresh and clean. Not to say I never get cold but its so much easier to warm up. I can drink a nice cup of hot cocoa and be warm for a long time. I can drink an ice cold smoothie or eat an ice cream cone outside in the summer and it helps for like, 5 minutes, then I'm just as hot as before.

I'm moving to a new apartment this month, and its got two different pools so I'm actually looking forward to summer this year, and last year I cursed that its my new least favourite season lol but honestly continental climates in my opinion, offer the most in terms of weather. You can have hot humid, warm and dry, mild as can be, bitter cold, lots of snow, lots of rain, lots of sun everything in between.
Yeah, and I'll never get how continental climates with moderately cold winters and warm summers get so much criticism but year-round warm/hot climates get endless amounts of jerk off from people. At least continental climate offer "relief" from cold weather in the form of mild shoulder seasons and a warm summer, try and get relief from hot weather in a place like Cancun.

A continental climate likely pleases much more people in terms of weather, they have a little bit to offer for everybody.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Temperature wise this is a good four season climate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aksu,_Xinjiang#Climate Three months of cold weather and three months of warm/hot weather, flanked by about 2-3 months of mild weather on each end. But then you get continental climates like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton,_Ontario#Climate where in reality it's almost half a year of cold weather. The calendar flips to March, then to April, and then to May, but it still stays really chilly

Old 02-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,616 times
We should consider this to understand mediterranean climates better:

Pacific Bulb Society | Mediterranean (Summer-Dry) Climates

Old 02-07-2017, 02:50 PM

808 posts, read 710,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I like rain but I hate humidity. The best climates are the ones that are not humid but also get lots of rain. Perth is an excellent example, with low humidity but 28-40 inches of rain a year (depending on the station). Sydney and Porto are good too
How's this climate I made?
High/Low *F, rain (in), % humidity
Jan: 60/48, 3.4", 56%
Feb: 62/49, 3.3", 54%
Mar: 70/53, 3.5", 51%
Apr: 76/58, 2.8", 46%
May: 82/62, 2.5", 42%
Jun: 86/65, 2.6", 42%
Jul: 88/67, 3", 45%
Aug: 87/67, 3.8", 48%
Sept: 83/65, 5.2", 57%
Oct: 74/59, 5.5", 61%
Nov: 67/52, 4.3", 58%
Dec: 63/49, 3.8", 57%

(I seem to recall a freaky fall monsoon in a past climate, hence the inclusion of one.)

Old 02-07-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We do have forests in our mountains between 6,500 and 11,500ft of elevation. But I meant that here in the city, it is quite green, wasn't talking about the open desert. In my apartment complex alone, we have grass, palm trees and broadleaf evergreens with one or two deciduous trees. We don't have sand dunes and scrub in the metro except the outskirts
In the mountains where people don't really live. Yea, the cities are "green" because y'all spend a ton of water on irrigation. Manufactured out of place landscaping doesn't impress me. Sorry but the sprawling southwestern desert cities are an environmental virus. Ridiculous the amount of golf courses down there, when most those states are in drought conditions most of the time.

Btw doing a satellite look over Phoenix right now, pretty sandy looking. Don't see much green actually, which is fine, Phoenix is in a desert, what bothers me is when they use water they need to preserve for these ridiculous lawns and golf courses. Just don't try to tell me Arizona has greenery thats even comparable to states east of the Rockies. Because I don't even consider where I live, which is actually full of trees, especially compared to Phoenix, to be all that green either.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
How's this climate I made?
High/Low *F, rain (in), % humidity
Jan: 60/48, 3.4", 56%
Feb: 62/49, 3.3", 54%
Mar: 70/53, 3.5", 51%
Apr: 76/58, 2.8", 46%
May: 82/62, 2.5", 42%
Jun: 86/65, 2.6", 42%
Jul: 88/67, 3", 45%
Aug: 87/67, 3.8", 48%
Sept: 83/65, 5.2", 57%
Oct: 74/59, 5.5", 61%
Nov: 67/52, 4.3", 58%
Dec: 63/49, 3.8", 57%

(I seem to recall a freaky fall monsoon in a past climate, hence the inclusion of one.)
Haha well in my most recent climate I got rid of the falltime monsoon, I lowered it to what you have now That's an excellent climate btw, A++. I would move there in a heartbeat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather