Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you rate your climate?
A 18 22.78%
B 20 25.32%
C 22 27.85%
D 12 15.19%
E 4 5.06%
F 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:50 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,261,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
What does a Moscow winter feel like?
Not good. Long dark days, lucky to be above freezing, snow that doesn't melt away until April sometimes. Lots of respiratory diseases in the months of February and November
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,534,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Seattle summers are considered cool, and aren't they warmer than London summers?
The summer mean temps are identical in both cities.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:17 PM

13,431 posts, read 8,967,056 times
FFS... "I know it's subjective but..."

This thread is titled "How do YOU rate YOUR climate" So why are some picking apart others ratings?

If someone feels their summers are warm or their winters are cold, that is entirely their opinion, so why are (the usual suspects) saying "I don't think summers in London are warm...blah blah blah"

Jesus wept.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:21 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,222,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yeah, but San Diego in summer has lows between 18° and 20°, while London's summer lows are in the 13° to 15° range. That makes a difference
It's mostly that San Diego probably has a much stronger sun due to being much further south and probably has a lot more sunny days. Also, yeah, I don't know if San Diego regularly wakes up with 12c in mid-summer, does it ?

Also, I believe SD should probably have higher dewpoints on average, but I have no real clue about that.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,371,941 times
^^ Thing is, our low temps in mid summer are recorded just after sunrise at about 4:45am.. by 7am when people wake up for work it will often be a few degrees above the low temperature.

Anyway I'm not getting into an argument over what is warm and what is not, as FlamingGalah says - it is all subjective.

Personally I don't find our summers cool - I can comfortably wear a T-shirt and shorts for the majority of summer, and this is coming from a heat lover! I do wish they were hotter and sunnier, but I don't think they are really cool.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
^^ Thing is, our low temps in mid summer are recorded just after sunrise at about 4:45am.. by 7am when people wake up for work it will often be a few degrees above the low temperature.
If someone gets up for work at 7am and then goes to bed by 11pm or so, they probably won't experience anything below about 17c.

When they get to work for 8-9am it'll be around 18-19c, and when they leave work it'll be about 23-24c.

I rated London a C, as it has cool/wet winters, and warm/dry summers according to most people (I am one of them). My A climate is Casablanca.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:39 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,371,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
If someone gets up for work at 7am and then goes to bed by 11pm or so, they probably won't experience anything below about 17c.

When they get to work for 8-9am it'll be around 18-19c, and when they leave work it'll be about 23-24c.

I rated London a C, as it has cool/wet winters, and warm/dry summers according to most people (I am one of them). My A climate is Casablanca.
I have to give us a D, purely for the cloudiness... add 300-400 hours and I might give London a C.

During winter the cloudiness frustrates me, and in recent years we have had a tendency to have sunshine well below average.. surely sometime this will have to balance out though?

It seems that the statistics are stacked against us though, the sunshine recorders regularly 'lose' around 3 hours on completely sunny days here for some reason.. as you know. Look at the number of hours in a day here and then the number of hours of sunshine recorded on completely sunny days.. for some reason it is always a few hours short.. even on partly sunny days this also occurs, so you could probably say that we lose about 200-300 hours a year. Maybe 1,850 - 1,900 hours is more realistic

Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,894,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I have to give us a D, purely for the cloudiness... add 300-400 hours and I might give London a C.

During winter the cloudiness frustrates me, and in recent years we have had a tendency to have sunshine well below average.. surely sometime this will have to balance out though?

It seems that the statistics are stacked against us though, the sunshine recorders regularly 'lose' around 3 hours on completely sunny days here for some reason.. as you know. Look at the number of hours in a day here and then the number of hours of sunshine recorded on completely sunny days.. for some reason it is always a few hours short.. even on partly sunny days this also occurs, so you could probably say that we lose about 200-300 hours a year. Maybe 1,850 - 1,900 hours is more realistic
I've seen someone on here before suggest that North American weather stations are better than European weather stations when it comes to recording sunshine hours.

Is there any truth in this?

Old 02-14-2017, 04:45 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I've seen someone on here before suggest that North American weather stations are better than European weather stations when it comes to recording sunshine hours.

Is there any truth in this?
They use a lower 'burn' threshold, so hazy sunshine still counts as a sunny day, while it wouldn't here.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,430,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It's mostly that San Diego probably has a much stronger sun due to being much further south and probably has a lot more sunny days. Also, yeah, I don't know if San Diego regularly wakes up with 12c in mid-summer, does it ?

Also, I believe SD should probably have higher dewpoints on average, but I have no real clue about that.
Normal summer dewpoints in San Diego are in the 16° to 17° ballpark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather