Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 12:47 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wisteria! only a few more weeks and we'll get what you have
I saw one that looked like that outside today, it was freezing outside even . Kept alive only by the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 03:12 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Blooming now..

Just couple of pics without commentary.

April 14, 2017

Azaleas
Lilac
Hychinths
Bradford Pear
Swamp Maples
Black Cherry
Some Regular Cherry Trees
Some Magnolias (rarely see the white ones, most are pink

Old 04-14-2017, 06:23 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
So today I headed off to the Rockies: Canmore (near Banff) to be precise.

Alas, when I woke up the snow promised for Edmonton did indeed materialize.

This made the drive through town rather messy.

And the highways were not in great shape.

Still the snow didn't last long. No snow in Red Deer and by the time we got to Calgary it was sunny. This made the last part of the drive quite enjoyable.

Canmore is the last town just before Banff when heading west from Calgary. Upon arrival there were a few flurries trying to make their presence felt but they failed.

For those who don't know Canmore, the town itself is far more enjoyable than Banff townsite being far less overrun by tourists. Mountain views are still just as resplendent as in Banff.

The weather was good enough for many patios to be open. Temperature was about 7°C, i.e. about seven degrees warmer than Edmonton.

There's lots of great walking trails right in the centre of town with five-star views.

Despite the higher elevation spring is perhaps a little more further along in Canmore than Edmonton? Not much in it though, still no green grass or leaves.

There are a few buds getting close to opening though.

Tomorrow it's up to the mountains for skiing; should be a winter wonderland for sure.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:19 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Went to Tavelsjö for first time in like two weeks (GF now runs a café on weekends so not much point in me going there really). Here's what Umeå looks like at the moment (live cam)

Tavelsjö however... You maybe can't see it, but it's snowing in the pictures.

In fact it's snowed everyday the last 5 days.

Come on spring...

Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Went skiing at Sunshine Village in Banff National Park today.

As we set off weather was cloudy with scattered flurries.

Snow line is at about 1500m, just above the turn off from the main highway.

Sunshine Village is located high in an Alpine valley at about 2100m elevation. Access is from a gondola starting at about 1660m. Down at the gondola base it was snowing lightly on arrival.

However the flowing water reassured us it was spring.

Up at the village though it was still full on winter. Temperature was about -3°C.

You can usually ski here until late May; snow lasts until late June and beyond. It's been a good year for snow and they have a decent snow pack.

You can ski above and below the village. Visibility became quite dicey as we went higher up; this was at about 2300m and was the best view I had all day.

Things got really dicey above there. The highest lift accessible terrain is at about 2730m but at the tree line at 2400m the wind and snow made things miserable. Temperature here was maybe -6°C and the wind, I don't know, maybe 40-60 km/hr?

We turned around and spent the rest of the day below the trees. All in all good fun.

Last edited by Ed's Mountain; 04-15-2017 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Clarifying

Old 04-15-2017, 08:10 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,271 times
^^Great pics of Banff and Canmore in your last 2 posts. I'm going to be ok Banff and the surrounding parks this summer. It's a beautiful area.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:03 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Went skiing at Sunshine Village in Banff National Park today.

As we set off weather was cloudy with scattered flurries.

Snow line is at about 1500m, just above the turn off from the main highway.

Sunshine Village is located high in an Alpine valley at about 2100m elevation. Access is from a gondola starting at about 1660m. Down at the gondola base it was snowing lightly on arrival.

However the flowing water reassured us it was spring.

Up at the village though it was still full on winter. Temperature was about -3°C.

You can usually ski here until late May; snow lasts until late June and beyond. It's been a good year for snow and they have a decent snow pack.

You can ski above and below the village. Visibility became quite dicey as we went higher up; this was at about 2300m and was the best view I had all day.

Things got really dicey above there. The highest lift accessible terrain is at about 2730m but at the tree line at 2400m the wind and snow made things miserable. Temperature here was maybe -6°C and the wind, I don't know, maybe 40-60 km/hr?

We turned around and spent the rest of the day below the trees. All in all good fun.
Stunning. That area is definitely on my bucket list.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Great photos everyone. Sweden looks bleak, Estonia looks bleak without snow.France and Poland look suitably springlike.

CT photos show another side to the area, with wide open vistas.

Impressive skyline at Canmore. Good to see some skiing photos. Makes ski areas here seem pretty low altitude in comparison, with my local area's top lift at only about the same altitude (1690m) as Banff's Gondola base, even though the highest mountains in my room area are nearly 3000m). Even the highest South Island areas are only around 2000m. 2730m here would be inconceivable.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Impressive skyline at Canmore. Good to see some skiing photos. Makes ski areas here seem pretty low altitude in comparison, with my local area's top lift at only about the same altitude (1690m) as Banff's Gondola base, even though the highest mountains in my room area are nearly 3000m). Even the highest South Island areas are only around 2000m. 2730m here would be inconceivable.
At this Altitude on New Zealand you would have at least 9 months of ski

Old 04-16-2017, 03:57 AM

341 posts, read 341,347 times
So we have 05.04:

07.04:

10.04:

And now 14.04:

Finally, the difference in more pronounced. Sad thing is that we will propably have weak frosts in next couple fo days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather