Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Still waiting for what? That's full on spring! Here's out my back window right now.
Still waiting for Leaves. Nice Sunday in April there. Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Moar paulownias

Early leafers

Late leafers

Spoiler

Quote:
Here's out my back window right now.
Yikes!

Old 04-23-2017, 12:01 PM

5,730 posts, read 3,508,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Moar paulownias

Early leafers

Late leafers

Spoiler

Yikes!
Paris is a subtropical paradise.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,547 times
Easter break spam now...
On Tuesday we went to our cabin in the woods (an hour NWN from Tavelsjö). Very snowy there. Also saw some random dogs on the road lol. No owners nearby.

Dinosaur tracks all over the frozen lake.

Doggo for scale

This thursday, the first day for over a week with temps above like 2-3'C I went to Umeå to sign my new work's contract and stuff. The cold spell seems to have literally reset spring completely. Snow drops have literally started growing again. They must've thought it had become winter...

Croci that have just started flowering. Honestly, except for the general lack of snow, Umeå doesn't look any different from a month ago.

This specific goat willow was bright green because of green catkins this time last year. Now the catkins are just black.(River then completely melted as well since long before. Now it's mostly melted, less so in this specific picture though). Sadly I don't have comparison pics left as I deleted last year's spring pictures on my old phone.

The buds of larches had definitely started showing tiny green needles by this time last year...

Atleast the snow is gone. (****ing ****, I just realized I ****ed up the symmetry).

Back in Tavelsjö this pretty cool halo showed up. This was the same day, still a lot of snow.

And look at these two aspen trees! They look like one tree was chopped in half and the two splits were moved away from eachother! Also notice the swans. They've become very common the last week or so.

These willowy thingies are starting to glow a very fiery orange

This clover impostor has started flowering there. A wild flower finally.

The buds on this lilac are getting huge.

Rhubarbs just now popping up. In Umeå they were already pretty huge a few weeks ago.

This was three days ago. Pretty neat cloud formation. Fields already starting to melt.

The last three days have seen almost-average temperatures and so the melting has been alright. This is what that same field looks like now.

Yesterday evening vs this afternoon:

We saw some roe deer from the house too.

All in all, Tavelsjö looks pretty much the same as Umeå did in the end of March with about the same flower progression and about 50% of areas having snow.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM

270 posts, read 187,518 times
^^

must be tough for the roe deers in a place like tavelsjö.

from swedish wiki.

RÃ¥djuret, till skillnad frÃ¥n exempelvis älg, kan inte ställa om matspjälkningen utan behöver högvärdig föda för att överleva. I omrÃ¥den där vintrarna kan vara hÃ¥rda kan rÃ¥djuret ha svÃ¥rt att komma Ã¥t föda, och upp till 30–40 procent av stammen kan dö i svält, framför allt när det ligger djup snö pÃ¥ marken under en längre tid vilket gör detta till den största dödsorsaken. Främst slÃ¥r detta mot djur med lägre förmÃ¥ga att hämta föda, som kid, yngre hannar och äldre djur. Stammen har dock god Ã¥terhämtningsförmÃ¥ga, och Ã¥tergÃ¥r till tidigare antal efter ett par Ã¥r.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanmjolk View Post
^^

must be tough for the roe deers in a place like tavelsjö.

from swedish wiki.

Rådjuret, till skillnad från exempelvis älg, kan inte ställa om matspjälkningen utan behöver högvärdig föda för att överleva. I områden där vintrarna kan vara hårda kan rådjuret ha svårt att komma åt föda, och upp till 30–40 procent av stammen kan dö i svält, framför allt när det ligger djup snö på marken under en längre tid vilket gör detta till den största dödsorsaken. Främst slår detta mot djur med lägre förmåga att hämta föda, som kid, yngre hannar och äldre djur. Stammen har dock god återhämtningsförmåga, och återgår till tidigare antal efter ett par år.
They're actually very abundant and you see them aaall the time in fall and spring.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:10 PM

5,730 posts, read 3,508,707 times
Some shots of the snow in Edmonton today.

First, around the neighbourhood. Wet snow sticks to everything.

Main roads a slushy mess.

Apple tree. No blossoms yet, not even close. Probably a good thing, otherwise crop would be jeopardized.

To shovel or not to shovel? Opinion was split.

This was the same general vicinity yesterday.
Spoiler

Then it was over to the Alberta Legislature Grounds, home of the provincial government. Completed in 1913, wiki tells me it's built in a Beaux Arts style.

On fine spring Sundays there's usually a fair few people out here for a picnic or some such. Not so much today.

Centennial flame. Most people believe it to celebrate the Canadian centenary, it actually commemorates 100 years of Alberta's greenhouse gas contributions.

Still some signs of spring if you look close enough.

This statue was built to celebrate the Ukrainian people that settled in Alberta in the late 19th century. I wonder if they miss the weather back home?

The forecourt on the north side of the grounds has wading pools. Not many takers today.

Sometimes there's a good view of the river valley from up here.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:08 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Some shots of the snow in Edmonton today.

Spoiler

I think you brought me back to life. I'm ready for winter now. I miss the snow. I hope we have an extreme winter starting in 7 months. OMG that looks awesome and refreshing! Screw the warm seasons! Cambium is back! Thanks!

That's my favorite one of the bunch. The Centennial flame and the Canadian flag also cool.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:10 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Looks like Umea has just taken the lead in the - keenly contested - run towards springlike landscapes.

Noticed the Vimy commemoration boards for the 100th anniversary of the war. Went there a few times, moving place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Neat mammatus!

Quote:
- Look at this slushy mess one week from May. Look at Sasha. He's crying.
- Trees must already be blooming back in Kyiv. What did we have in mind when we moved to this subpolar wasteland?
- Kurva blyat.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:34 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times
Went to Monroe, LA today (about 2 hours to my north). It was a bit warmer there as it reached 70F. The high in Alexandria was 66F, probably due to more cloud cover.

Downtown Monroe

A creek.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather