Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 12:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Love the last photo. For some reason I enjoy overcast, rainy late spring days. Goes well with the verdant green and like the darkness from clouds and newly popped out leaves (not the case in CT yet).

I like the first photo better. Interesting semiabstract painting effect there. Yes, I like drizzly or overcast days better with greenery. Biked in light drizzle this morning, felt cozy. Is that photo from the Paris region or near Nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Paris region, 42°F at 4 pm in Nice in late april would trigger a riot.

You can also tell it from small details, roofs are covered with pantiles, different from the roman tiles used in SE France. Also no buildings would be left left with apparent bricks on the Riviera. And no palms!

Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Paris region, 42°F at 4 pm in Nice in late april would trigger a riot.
Oh whoops, how'd I miss the temperatures. Sounds worse than our early May last year. Yea, the roofs looked a bit different from what I remembered of your southern France photos but it's still orange.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:40 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Was in town earlier, escaped a couple hail showers. Pretty cool for the time of day, 42°F at 4 pm. Still 42°F at 6pm with a thunderstorm.
I have to admit, even though I hate storms I do love those deep gray ominous clouds. Hail typically falls in afternoon here when / if it does. So there was instability at 42°F? And what happened to C°? Did you finally convert to F° only?

I see old roof antennas. Good source for lightning to hit.

Quote:
Love the last photo. For some reason I enjoy overcast, rainy late spring days. Goes well with the verdant green and like the darkness from clouds and newly popped out leaves (not the case in CT yet).

I remember you commented on another wet road photo I did so I searched. Apparently it was the same time last year as well.

This was May 3, 2016. I don't think we'll have leaves like this next week. The sun better friggin come out ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just another dreary Spring day. 51°.

Quote:
This is my fave. I like rainy late spring days. Everything's so lush, it goes well with the rain.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I remember you commented on another wet road photo I did so I searched. Apparently it was the same time last year as well.

This was May 3, 2016. I don't think we'll have leaves like this next week. The sun better friggin come out ASAP!
Interesting; our leaves were definitely further behind last year. April was cooler and had more frosts. Same waterfall I posted last year (April 23, 2016)

Spoiler

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Oh whoops, how'd I miss the temperatures. Sounds worse than our early May last year. Yea, the roofs looked a bit different from what I remembered of your southern France photos but it's still orange.
Eh, orange roofs are all over the place, you'll find them from the Netherlands to Portugal!

Quote:
I have to admit, even though I hate storms I do love those deep gray ominous clouds. Hail typically falls in afternoon here when / if it does. So there was instability at 42°F? And what happened to C°? Did you finally convert to F° only?
It's just to show off that I'm fluent in both scales. *smug face*

As for the temp, it was during and after the showers and storms had passed. Just before the showers it was a balmy 52°F while it was 25°F at 850 mb and -30°F at 500 mb, hence the instability.

Quote:

You commented on wet road photo of mine same time last year as well! May 6, 2016:
Spoiler

Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
As for the temp, it was during and after the showers and storms had passed. Just before the showers it was a balmy 52°F while it was 25°F at 850 mb and -30°F at 500 mb, hence the instability.
those dark clouds looks there's lots of instability. Not what I'd associate with 42°F

Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Absolutely horrible weather here for the last few days. Took a bit of a walk through the river valley today but I find it quite difficult to get good shots in these weather conditions.

The trail I went on starts in a little park near a small neighbourhood tucked away on the slope of the valley opposite the CBD.

The trail leads away through the woods. In places there's still a fair amount of snow.

In other places not really.

Here we're approaching the end of the trail; you can see downtown peering through the gap.

At this point the trees open up and you're rewarded with a great vantage point over the river and the CBD. On nice days this is a popular spot for photographs. Today the weather continued its recent pattern and my feeble skills were no match for it. I did do a panorama for what it's worth; you can click on the image for full size.

Hopefully the sun will come out in the next few days and I can go back to looking for signs of spring. We've lost about 2 weeks of progress here.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 PM

753 posts, read 837,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Absolutely horrible weather here for the last few days.
I was in Saskatoon the past couple weeks and it was the same thing over there... single digit temperatures and overcast most days and then on Saturday and Sunday it dropped below freezing and snowed. Not something you wanna see in the last week of April.

Vancouver's had a very gloomy couple of months (following the coldest winter in decades) but at least it's green and colorful over here. Hard to believe June is just over a month away with the kind of weather you guys are having.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:16 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
You commented on wet road photo of mine same time last year as well! May 6, 2016:

Oh yeah, I remember that one! Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Absolutely horrible weather here for the last few days.
Nice pics. Love the Panorama! Why water so brown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather