Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 04:05 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Interesting graphic showing the progress of Apples. We're blooming here now. Frist threat for region coming including DC!

So.............

The Chicken Or The Egg?
Glass half empty or Half Full?

Was the Crop damaged because of the Late Sub Freezing temps or the Early Warmth? If there wasn't such cold temps damage wouldn't of occurred. Then again, if there wasn't early warmth it wouldn't of occurred either. Either way, I think we can agree the cold was the one to physically damage them.

Article with link shows the damage to Apple Crops in Northeast and a bunch of cool graphics! Posting most of article in case link gets lost in future. Good info on the Apple Crops.

https://twitter.com/NOAAClimate/stat...77523708215296

Quote:

"Similar conditions last winter also resulted in abnormally high freeze damage to apple and other fruit crops in the Northeast.

Spring freeze risk in apple blossoms depends on three sequential factors: 1) the accumulation of winter chill units, 2) the accumulation of growing degree days, and 3) the probability of occurrence of damaging sub-freezing temperatures. During winter, apple trees must experience a period of chilling before the overwintering blossoms can begin to develop. Ideal chilling conditions occur between 35°F and 60°F with warmer temperatures counteracting previously accumulated chill units and colder temperatures not contributing to chill accumulation. Most apple cultivars grown in the Northeast require between 1000 and 1200 chill hours, a threshold that is typically met in late January or early February.
Once chilling is met, apple blossoms can begin to develop. This development can be tracked using the accumulation of base 41°F growing degree days*. Dormancy is broken after accumulation of approximately 100 degree days, when the blossoms enter the silver-tip stage. Blossom development culminates in bloom at about 400 degree days and finally petal fall at approximately 500 degree days. Early stages like silver-tip are able to withstand temperatures as low as 5°F without significant damage, while more advanced stages, such as bloom, experience damage at temperatures in the upper 20s."

Using the Applied Climate Information System (ACIS), the Northeast Regional Climate Center (NRCC) has developed a series of tools designed to help Northeast growers track the risk of freeze damage to their crops. The tools rely on recent and historical GHCN temperature observations and forecasts from the National Weather Service’s National Digital Forecast Database. Each morning the Northeast Regional Climate Center creates a regional temperature map using GHCN observations. National Weather Service Rapid Refresh model initialization inputs are used to guide spatial interpolation of the observations (filling in areas without data) and to account for topographic temperature variations that are not well represented by the observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 02:33 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Another beautiful day today: 23°C, sunny, no wind. Lots of people out--wish I didn't feel so awkward taking photos of strangers; then I'd have a lot more to share.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
1 week earlier there and here. Question is... how green are you NOW? I think I greened up faster. Any chance you can get that same photo today or tomorrow so we can compare to here again?
close enough. Started drizzling 20 minutes later.

cleared up later

leaves full. closer to the river, leaves out faster?

looks a bit like that historic Edmonton house

leaves full here

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7kT8roAT3J4VplOBqR07y95FhE3x0xcO8--tFKOlJIPX2ppKX0LPxH_HeKtrEjph0CPuuEte4wZogaBmPkNTl 6YpEUCX58svQaKEbMjK5xDlaaKz3Jk2pnMXI0QanGwNmAE09s_ B9SwZTjUa5PMR6E7dH05m6BT3XZwCcSuYAWfTrEtlLeL2DXEXX jZlEg28iRsyVfY2A3RUa23ryPsYlnSg-uHIx5IpFQG9Rtvv2EVp44rPLlzNa3VmJ7CTUU8sL4_UVBX1Ue5 c8EBn-Gsy5f8f6n1IXjFQnA6sYGRzvJU9CH5MJv2K7t_-X7od4nJXxtNy2A47-75RvoZE289KkdlLggaidS37ZFEliMeliztjDOCWTzfoDxcPniQ FegqVUTs2gZOgj4lWTuOv8VtLHozcdQjVYMMQhESHJR_prfXw4 9nrj5cvZ7uTV3H0KGApQgQNYrUxoS_kuBalAzSiIyGzMgqyjiN GMcYMbuZp5j5UD1PAyQ0QSfFgo9aqpk7xgw2Pg06kFkk6ETzVS DHXq2d5qvUbs9pI20elCPjdMhCfDFhvYqc2RR1qZx8wU6fnS0N F1SChf461qbMje0viMAxqubChwutfyawnvPZUiG0****bQ6o8e g=w800-h739-no[/img]

water rushing with the recent rains

hills look green but not quite there yet

house is from 1779, about a 100 years older than the Edmonton museum house. I think I saw a 1760 one some houses further down that road

later in the evening

Old 05-07-2017, 04:45 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,391 times
Don't have time to post more pictures, but here's what I woke up to today in Tavelsjö. It was 21'C on Friday.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:50 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The profanity sensor caught Google red handed. Never noticed that large rivers caused trees to green up faster. Aren't these different species? I assume the effect on temperatures is zero unless right on the shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Another beautiful day today: 23°C, sunny, no wind. Lots of people out--wish I didn't feel so awkward taking photos of strangers; then I'd have a lot more to share.
Great pics! Interesting people shots.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:13 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Don't have time to post more pictures, but here's what I woke up to today in Tavelsjö. It was 21'C on Friday.
Wow. Warm ground. Impossible to stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

later in the evening

Spoiler

Even though the color is off I like that one. Looks like a pleasant place to bike, walk or run or just sit and relax. I like how they mowed the grass there

The 1st photo shows that area well behind here. The other photo shows you are ahead. lol All about types. That's why its never uniform. Pockets of variety = non uniform bud/bloom/leafing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Never noticed that large rivers caused trees to green up faster. Aren't these different species? .
Yeah, definitely different species. Probable more Swamp Maples near the River which leaf out fastest.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:23 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,145 times
After a few warmer days the green wave has started. Next week will be cold so progress will be slow.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:31 AM

5,737 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Yesterday started out as a great day: warm and sunny as illustrated above. So in the evening we ventured out to Elk Island National Park just east of Edmonton.

Elk Island is home to herds of free-roaming plains bison and sure enough not long after entering the park we spotted this guy. No time to use the real camera, had to snap quickly with the cell phone.

The landscape is pure Canadiana: lakes, bogs, boreal forest and aspen parkland (hemiboreal).

The recent warm weather had brought just a hint of green to the deciduous trees if you look close enough.

And on closer inspection there were signs of spring all around.

Lots of wildlife. Here are some beaver and muskrat. Sorry, I don't have the right skills, equipment, or patience for real wildlife photography.

As mentioned, the weather started out fine and it looked like we were in for a beautiful sunset.

But then the promised cold front with its leading edge of showers and storms showed up just at the wrong time.

The wind came up and the rain started. Pretty soon it was a wash out.

With the temperature dropping and the sun gone for the night, it was time to retreat to our picnic shelter and adopt Cambium's coping strategy for dinner before heading back into town.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:45 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,391 times
Beautiful!

Old 05-07-2017, 11:54 AM

270 posts, read 187,601 times

had an elk eating outside my house today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather