U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 04:24 AM

3,254 posts, read 808,512 times

Advertisements

Cold is anything below 12-13°C depending on weather.
Warm is anything over 22-23°C.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 06:41 AM

120 posts, read 42,190 times
Summer:

Hot: 75+
Warm: 65-75
Mild: 55-65
Cool: 45-55
Cold: Below 45

Winter:

Hot: 60+
Warm: 40-60
Mild: 20-40
Cool: 0-25
Cold: Below 0

Old 01-14-2020, 01:47 PM

9,715 posts, read 8,084,522 times
This is how I classify warm and cold:

SUMMER (daytime highs)
Hot........ 90 and above
Warm..... 80-90
Mild. ..... 70-80
Cool ...... 65-70
Cold ...... below 65

WINTER (daytime highs)
Warm .... 50 and above (it never gets anywhere close to 50 in Dec, Jan, or Feb where I live)
Mild ...... 35-50
Cool ..... 20-35
Cold ..... below 20

My ideal climate is winter highs in the 40's and summer highs in the 80's. If it starts getting up into the 90's in summer with high humidity, too hot. If the climate can't sustain a nice snowstorm and keep the snow on the ground for a good week or two, too warm. I can always dress warm and go jogging if it's 25+ degrees outside with snow, but if it's 85+ with high humidity and no wind, even going naked isn't going to cut it.

I'm thinking about relocating from eastern SD to Knoxville IA for this reason.. another plant where I work, but a big jump in temps.. I dunno though if I want to pay the state income taxes. I could also go to Missouri or South Carolina, but again.. state income taxes on stock trades... bleh. My solution has to been buy long underwear and just jog when it's 20 degrees, and with the snowcover I'm actually impressed how much I enjoy the crisp air. I didn't think I would. After the first mile the body stays warm, if not gets sweaty.. dressing for the temps and windspeed takes some trial and error but so far, so good.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-14-2020 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 PM

5,800 posts, read 2,544,764 times
^I think that the wintertime temps in the Des Moines area are only a few degrees warmer (like 5-10f) than those in the Sioux Falls area. Not sure if you can call that a "big jump." But yeah, once you get outside and get moving, it's easy to start enjoying the winter air, even at 0f.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM

9,715 posts, read 8,084,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
^I think that the wintertime temps in the Des Moines area are only a few degrees warmer (like 5-10f) than those in the Sioux Falls area. Not sure if you can call that a "big jump." But yeah, once you get outside and get moving, it's easy to start enjoying the winter air, even at 0f.

I'm in Brookings. The last month has seen temps 15 degrees warmer consistently every day in Knoxville. There was a day we were 28 and they were 61 because of a warm front. There's multiple reasons why Brookings is just constantly cold, and often considerably colder than sioux falls.

For starters we are up in the "coteau des prairies" which is an elevated area where 2 glaciers split during the last ice age. That means any warm air from any direction but north cools a bit before it gets here.

Add in the fact we are too far to the east to benefit from chinook winds to the west that Places like Huron and Mitchell have some levels of exposure too, peaking in Rapid City.

We are too far to the west to benefit from warm fronts generated by low pressure systems. Whereas places like Des Moines and Milwaukee get breaks from the cold that allow snow melt to occur, and plenty of days in the 30's and 40's, with some 50's as well, snow in Brookings almost never melts after the first snowfall and sticks around to Melt in March. It will never hit 50 degrees here in winter. It rarely ever hits 40, especially with any sort of snowcover. Some years back I made a map to highlight the areas that are always persistently cold. Here it is.

The trick is finding an area that is not too cold in the winter, but not miserably hot in the summer... pretty much the entire NE US fits the bill except Maine. I love when snow falls, then melts.. so I'd love a lake effect snowbelt state such as western Michigan. With Michigan the cold gets neutered by the great lakes before it gets there.

The forecast right now, January 15, is more typical Brookings weather... but I don't hate it enough to give up my job and no state income tax. Part of me enjoys seeing the white snow versus brown vegetation... so I'm still here. More and more I simply adapt to it, but once the temps drop under 20, I usually stop jogging... so maybe I'll go out and jog Friday while it's snowing. haha. I will say this.. if you like to ice fish, this area is great... the lakes freeze solid every winter and people put up shacks and leave them sit for 3 months. They'll heat them, light them, sometimes get drunk and sleep in them overnight with buddies. It's like having a piece of no cost real estate for 3 months a year with hardly anyone nearby.... a man cave for the hard working husband to spend a night away from the wife and kids. The coteau des prairies contains the highest concentration of lakes in the state. I hope all this useless information was interesting for you. haha. As I type this message it's 0 here in Brookings and 29 in Knoxville, IA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coteau_des_Prairies

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...x=213&map_y=49

Last edited by sholomar; 01-15-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-23-2020, 01:50 AM

1,058 posts, read 376,649 times
Frigid: < 0F
The absolute last thing I want to have to be out in. Even living somewhere that gets that cold more than once every few years wouldn't be bearable, as it would mean no palms, Winter Pansies, Southern Magnolias, etc.

Miserably Cold: 0F-19F
I can deal with a climate that reaches these temperatures yearly, but only if it's well below all months' average lows and I don't have to be out in it.

Very Cold: 20F-31F
I can handle the upper half of this range as an average winter low. I can tolerate being out in it for short periods if I absolutely must, but never moderate nor long periods, and I have to wear long sleeves, gloves, a scarf and earmuffs (no jackets nor coveralls!) unless I'm just walking between a vehicle and building.

Moderately Cold: 32F-36F
Technically above freezing, but it's only a slight downgrade from Very Cold in terms of how well I handle it. This is marginally below acceptable as an average monthly mean.

Chilly: 37F-51F
I generally handle this as poorly as Moderately Cold or Very Cold if it's overly humid (as it often is around here), but if it's drier and/or near the upper part of this range, I can be out for moderate periods with long sleeves and gloves the only changes from normal.

Cool: 52F-57F
This sucks if it's excessively humid, windy and/or nighttime, but on a sunny day with no/light wind and low or even normal humidity it's fine. I generally perceive the upper half as being just barely outside a touch of warmth.

Mild/Lukewarm: 58F-67F
I handle this pretty well except in unusual wind. As such, I can do pretty much anything outside that isn't four-wheeling, swimming (obviously) nor jeep riding, even for long periods and in short sleeves and shorts. I often perceive this as being slightly warm, even at night or on a cloudy day. Humidity has virtually no effect for me at these temperatures.

Very Warm: 68F-79F
This is similar to Mild/Lukewarm but even better, and I often CAN four-wheel in short sleeves in these temps. Wind never causes problems in these temps, and humidity only becomes a problem when it's excessive and near the upper end of this range.

Slightly Hot: 80F-84F
This is as pleasant as Mild/Lukewarm or Very Warm if it's even a little dry, and it's not terrible even with humidity, but humidity does make it harder.

Moderately Hot: 85F-89F
This is when humidity starts making it hard to tolerate. However, being even a little dry does make it more pleasant, and I'd still take it over a category below Mild/Lukewarm any day if I had to pick.

Very Hot: 90F-99F
This is when humidity starts making it feel miserable. However, being even a little dry does make it more pleasant, as I found out in May 2019; it even got up to 98F here one day that month, and I was just fine. I'd still take it over a category below Mild/Lukewarm any day if I had to pick.

Extremely Hot: 100F+

This with our usual humidity feels like getting an unwelcome hug from Satan in my bad dreams, and our area is so humid that even a relatively dry day at this temperature isn't tolerable. However, I'd still take it over a category below Cool any day if I had to pick (I've had to pressure wash out in sunny humid 100F last June, so I know how it feels), and I'd probably be able to shake it off up to more like 110F or even 115F if I lived in a low-humidity place like Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Las Vegas or Denver.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:54 PM

2,137 posts, read 502,086 times
Hot can feel a lot different depending if there is sun above or not and it is humid or dry.

Cold feels different with wind as well.

If there is no sun and humidity is low, even 40°C isn't hot

And If it is not windy, minus 3°C is pretty soft and warm (with no sun).

When do I feel frigid with no wind? I will go american on that. It is below 0°F.

Very extreme (hell burning) cold? Minus 30°C matches that description with no wind. It is the kind of cold that I say oh my f***ing God for.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 02-08-2020 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-08-2020, 01:27 PM

625 posts, read 149,194 times
> 42°C - deadly hot
38 - 42°C - scorching
33 - 37°C - extremely hot
28 - 32°C - very hot
23 - 27°C - hot
18 - 22°C - warm
13 - 17°C - mild
8 - 12°C - chilly
3 - 7°C - cool
-2 - 2°C - cold
-7 - -3°C - very cold
-12 - -8°C - freezing
-17 - -13°C - extremely cold
-22 - -18°C - frigid
< -23°C - deadly cold

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

1 posts
In Philadelphia Suburbs:
>100° extremely hot (barely ever happens)
90° very hot
80° hot (usual summer temperature)
70° warmer
60° warm
50° cool
40° colder
30° cold (usual winter temperature)
20° very cold
<10° extremely cold (happens maybe once or twice a year)

Old Today, 01:04 AM

563 posts, read 206,876 times
Top End Northern Australia
Max temps
+45c - friggen hard to work in, but have done so many times
+40c - hard to work and play in ^^ ditto
30c - 40c - just normal ( 32c atm 4.00pm )
20c - 30c - temps to look forward to a coupla times a year just to have a spell from the heat.
15c - 20c - pleasant working conditions providing its not raining or windy.
10c - 15c - only experience visiting relations down south in winter ( therefore rarely visit in winter )
0c - 10c - yeah/nah, once a decade snow chase to the Blue Mountains, or a trip to the Ski fields.
Min Temps
25c -30c - hard to sleep without A/- Aircon, B/- beer.
20c - 25c - the sweet spot for sleeping with the overhead fan woop wooping its soothing sound.
15c - 20c - hmmm, gotta pull up the doona and turn down the fan a notch or 2. And a light jacket at work.
10c - 15c - as above, but rare as rocking horse poo. Makes the lead story in news bulletins
0c - 10c - working in the outback deserts and complaining about it every day. Wanting Boss to buy coats...
Below 0c - painfull memories of unheated boarding school dormitories in Albury and Armidale. Never again !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather