Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ottawa or Ardahan?
Ardahan 8 42.11%
Ottawa 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

Ardahan by a hair.

It's drier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 07:02 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Ardahan by a hair.

It's drier.
Ditto

Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Fresher.....maybe

More sun....I don't think so

Ottawa ....average annual sunshine hours: 2132 hours
Ardahan...average annual sunshine hours: 2076 hours

Warm part of the year....

Ottawa ...may 210 hrs...jun 274 hrs...jul 301 hrs...aug 232 hrs...sep 211 hrs
Ardahan..may 205 hrs...jun 255 hrs...jul 264 hrs...aug 257 hrs...sep 219 hrs

Temps comparison.....

ARDAHAN...........OTTAWA
-5/-17......JAN......-6/-15
-4/-16......FEB......-3/-13
3/-9.........MAR......3/-7
11/-1.......APR.......12/1
16/3........MAY.......19/8
20/6........JUN.......24/13
24/9........JUL........27/16
24/8........AUG.......25/14
21/4........SEP........21/10
14/0........OCT........13/3
6/-6.........NOV........5/-2
-2/-13......DEC.......-2/-10

Average annual temp: Ardahan 3.8C
Average annual temp: Ottawa 6.4C

What's interesting ....Ardahan is at an elevation of almost 6,000 ft (over 1800 m),
whereas Ottawa is almost at sea level.

And Ardahan is not that much farther south at 41N
Ottawa is at about 45.5N

deneb78 ...hates cold,as we all know, and chose Ardahan over Ottawa,
I'm not sure he took into consideration the warmer summers and milder lows
in Ottawa. Ardahan July temps of 24/9 are almost identical to Calgary July averages,
personally, I prefer Ottawa over Ardahan, warmer and longer summers, especially the lows.
Take a look at May and June ...Ardahan average temps those months are significantly
colder than Ottawa, June in particular is barely summery in Ardahan, no thanks.
I don't like cold much but what I like even less than cold is snowfall and wintry precip and judging by the amount of winter precip and precip days, I would say that Ottawa is quite a bit snowier than Ardahan. If it has to be that cold, I would rather it be a dry cold and not have much precip. Ottawa gets too much snowfall in winter and even things like freezing rain which I suspect Ardahan doesnt get much of either. Both are horrible climates and get an F from me but if I had to pick one, it would be Ardahan. As far as summers are concerned, I dont care too much as long as they arent excessively cold and daytime highs in Ardahan are only a couple of degrees colder than Ottawa even if it has colder nights

Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I don't like cold much but what I like even less than cold is snowfall and wintry precip and judging by the amount of winter precip and precip days, I would say that Ottawa is quite a bit snowier than Ardahan. If it has to be that cold, I would rather it be a dry cold and not have much precip. Ottawa gets too much snowfall in winter and even things like freezing rain which I suspect Ardahan doesnt get much of either. Both are horrible climates and get an F from me but if I had to pick one, it would be Ardahan. As far as summers are concerned, I dont care too much as long as they arent excessively cold and daytime highs in Ardahan are only a couple of degrees colder than Ottawa even if it has colder nights
I get it, especially the snow part, everyone one is different, I look not only at the cold part of the year but all seasons. You don't seem to care too much about the other seasons, as long as winter is above freezing,
I've noticed you've rated all climates F when the winter temps average below freezing even if the rest of the year is quite nice, with warm summers. Like Osoyoos would be F and Tofino D, even though, aside from winter,
Osoyoos is far warmer, drier, sunnier, the rest of the year.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I get it, especially the snow part, everyone one is different, I look not only at the cold part of the year but all seasons. You don't seem to care too much about the other seasons, as long as winter is above freezing,
I've noticed you've rated all climates F when the winter temps average below freezing even if the rest of the year is quite nice, with warm summers. Like Osoyoos would be F and Tofino D, even though, aside from winter,
Osoyoos is far warmer, drier, sunnier, the rest of the year.
Partly true... I would give Osoyoos an E because it averages above freezing day time highs in all months. Tofino would be a D true. Winter is important to me because it can make or break a climate even if the rest of the year is warm. The idea of living in a climate where there is one season you dread (winter) every year really puts me off. That is why I always rate these climates as an F.

Canada's best climate to me is Victoria which gets a D+. Turkey's best climate is probably Antalya or in that area which gets a B- from me. Far better than anything in Canada IMO.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Partly true... I would give Osoyoos an E because it averages above freezing day time highs in all months. Tofino would be a D true. Winter is important to me because it can make or break a climate even if the rest of the year is warm. The idea of living in a climate where there is one season you dread (winter) every year really puts me off. That is why I always rate these climates as an F.

Canada's best climate to me is Victoria which gets a D+. Turkey's best climate is probably Antalya or in that area which gets a B- from me. Far better than anything in Canada IMO.
So you'd take somewhere like Stavanger, Norway or La Paz, Bolivia that don't have any month with average highs above 20C over places in southern Ontario?

Old 02-25-2017, 05:43 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,254 times
Damn it, I accidentally voted for Ardahan instead of Ottawa.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:56 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,024 times
Quote:

Don't you think Antalya is too hot in Summer?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So you'd take somewhere like Stavanger, Norway or La Paz, Bolivia that don't have any month with average highs above 20C over places in southern Ontario?
La Paz absolutely because they never get days that are below freezing all day and you never have to shovel snow. Stavanger I am not sure about. I would need to see how many snow days and how much snow they actually get to fully decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
Don't you think Antalya is too hot in Summer?
No 34C highs are no problem. Perfect beach weather

Old 02-26-2017, 03:55 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
La Paz absolutely because they never get days that are below freezing all day and you never have to shovel snow. Stavanger I am not sure about. I would need to see how many snow days and how much snow they actually get to fully decide.
:
Sacrificing a really nice summer just because of a bit of snow in the winter seems like forgoing having sex because it's a mess to clean up afterwards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather