U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 AM

269 posts, read 161,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
Climate map shows which countries have the same weather as Australia | Daily Mail Online

OK, so I know this isn't accurate at all, but how would a map for New Zealand be like, and how would a more accurate map for Australia be like?
Again, not very accurate

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...25ebc9d785.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 AM

6,122 posts, read 3,403,545 times
Some parts of coastal California seem to be a good at match for NZ.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:27 AM

1,269 posts, read 853,199 times
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1688/...abb542d7_o.png

Would this be more accurate for Australia than the other map?

Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 PM

10,677 posts, read 14,894,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not impressive to me. It is because of a huge ocean sitting between them and the South Pole. Same for Bermuda, Azores, Australia (Australia is really just a huge island).

That is it in a nutshell. If they were connected by land to the South Pole it would be no different than here and they would have some pretty serious record lows. Same for all climates surrounded by vast distances of water.

I'm not impressed by that. It is what water does and rather simple.

I much more impressed with how stable China is given its giant landmass and continental climate, but lucky to have a huge impressive annually naturally created Siberian High pressure that prevents deep low pressure swinging across their continent every winter. The huge landmass of Siberia creates the High Pressure. I find that fascinating that a yearly permanent high pressure system protects them by blocking the formation of low pressure systems.

When you live in the eastern US, you quickly realize that our worst cold comes from low pressure not high pressure. The cold sits up in Canada, and a deeply strong low pressure system comes across, usually from the Pacific Ocean, and then deepens and in its wake pulls down bitterly cold air sitting in Canada. It takes the right combo though to happen. Really cold air has to be sitting up there in eastern Canada, usually air from the pole. If the air in northern Ontario or Quebec is just average temps, by the time it makes it south it is not impressive and drops us around 10-15F below our avg lows. However, if it is well below avg in Canada, then it does a number on us like just last week when that deep snow bomb low pulled that cold air all the way down into the deep south after it swept thru. That is when we drop 20F or more below our average winter low temps.
I understand the cause but it is still impressive to me that the southern hemisphere is mostly water and any major populated centre never really gets severe cold. Too much land at high latitudes is not good for anyone IMO.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,535 posts, read 1,718,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I understand the cause but it is still impressive to me that the southern hemisphere is mostly water and any major populated centre never really gets severe cold. Too much land at high latitudes is not good for anyone IMO.
Most populated places here on Southern Hemisphere are located on lower latitude and close to the sea like Buenos Aires,Sydney etc..
There are some small towns who can get very cold,the best example is Balmaceda who sometimes can have Chicago like winters

Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 PM

10,677 posts, read 14,894,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Most populated places here on Southern Hemisphere are located on lower latitude and close to the sea like Buenos Aires,Sydney etc..
There are some small towns who can get very cold,the best example is Balmaceda who sometimes can have Chicago like winters
Yes I know that there are small towns and villages that can get quite cold but no city over 1 million gets severe cold.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 PM

12,614 posts, read 12,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

Fair enough, but I think it is far more interesting how the Siberian High works versus a hemisphere mostly water and with landmasses surrounded on all sides by water.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 AM
BMI

7,471 posts, read 6,320,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Fair enough, but I think it is far more interesting how the Siberian High works versus a hemisphere mostly water and with landmasses surrounded on all sides by water.
That's true, China is more stable.

Still colder winter averages latitude per latitude when compared with eastern North America.

And they can get cold, I'm always amazed how cold Hong Kong can get ...
unlike Florida, it's actually in the tropics.
I think a few days winter 2015-2016 the "high" struggled to get past freezing.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:18 AM

6,122 posts, read 3,403,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
That's true, China is more stable.

Still colder winter averages latitude per latitude when compared with eastern North America.

And they can get cold, I'm always amazed how cold Hong Kong can get ...
unlike Florida, it's actually in the tropics.
I think a few days winter 2015-2016 the "high" struggled to get past freezing.
Really? The record low at Hong Kong Observatory is 0C.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,535 posts, read 1,718,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Really? The record low at Hong Kong Observatory is 0C.
That not true, their high temperature in the coldest day was 6.3C, which still is very cold for a coastal place within the tropics :

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather