Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Looking at temperature and rainfall patterns Biarritz France and San Sebastian Spain seem particularly close to New Zealand, plus maybe Batumi Georgia.

All these cities as well as a good chunk of New Zealand have appealing climates, which I would describe as oceanic mild.
They look like good fits. It's just the sunshine patterns that seem a bit off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 06:54 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
They look like good fits. It's just the sunshine patterns that seem a bit off
True. I guess when I think about New Zealand I think of it as the land of the great white cloud.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
True. I guess when I think about New Zealand I think of it as the land of the great white cloud.
The long white cloud is generally accepted as a Nor'west arch, a wave cloud that is is a sign of fine, warm weather.

Most of NZ is as sunny or sunnier than Batumi, San Sebastian and Biarritz, and without the winter cloud bias.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The long white cloud is generally accepted as a Nor'west arch, a wave cloud that is is a sign of fine, warm weather.

Most of NZ is as sunny or sunnier than Batumi, San Sebastian and Biarritz, and without the winter cloud bias.
I guess NZ's climate isn't as close to the places above as I thought. Which is interesting as temperature and rainfall patterns are pretty close. I wonder why there's more sun in New Zealand.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:14 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
I prefer a winter cloud bias. Ideally I like sunshine hours to be heavily concentrated in the summer months.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I prefer a winter cloud bias. Ideally I like sunshine hours to be heavily concentrated in the summer months.
Yes I'm like that to. I prefer cool, wet, rainy winters and sunny summers in the mid 20's with the occasional rainy day.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I was scratching my head for a moment, but then remembered that July is winter down there

What are the main factors that allow you to produce oranges? Cornwall seems to have most of the required prerequisites, the low levels of sunlight in winter seem to be the major factor holding it back. Then again, has anyone ever grown oranges outdoors in Cornwall? I'd love to know, although I bet they'd taste crap
Temperature and sunlight. Somewhere like Plymouth or Falmouth only has the same temperature in the last month of spring, as the first month of spring does here, so not good for pollination. Lower sunshine and cool summers slowthe formation of sugars.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I guess NZ's climate isn't as close to the places above as I thought. Which is interesting as temperature and rainfall patterns are pretty close. I wonder why there's more sun in New Zealand.
"Migratory highs" - high pressure cells in the winter months, that come and go frequently. They don't stay long enough for anti cyclonic gloom.SE flows are also mostly smaller rain bands and more clear air.

NZ misses out on higher summer sunshine because it has frequent convective cloud build up during summer, even thoough these often mean no rain.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
"Migratory highs" - high pressure cells in the winter months, that come and go frequently. They don't stay long enough for anti cyclonic gloom.SE flows are also mostly smaller rain bands and more clear air.

NZ misses out on higher summer sunshine because it has frequent convective cloud build up during summer, even thoough these often mean no rain.
When it rains in NZ does the temperature tend to fall? I noticed this in when I was looking at tutiempo.net figures in San Sebastian.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
When it rains in NZ does the temperature tend to fall? I noticed this in when I was looking at tutiempo.net figures in San Sebastian.
Depends on whether it's cold front rain, or from subtropical lows. Cold front will drop significantly, while lows from the Pacific tend to have lower maximums (from no sunshine) and warmer minimums. Last night saw a minimum of about 18.5C here with 50mm of rain falling, but today it isn't getting above 22C. Upper North Island had temperatures and dewpoints in the low 20sC last night, with rain.

Cold fronts during winter here can at times see a drop from mid teens C during the day, down to 1C/2C and rain by night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather