Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
All my friends in the South, from the Midwest to the Atlantic, have been complaining about the unseasonably warm weather.
*raises hand* I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. It was 22 degrees when I left the house this morning. That's cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM

792 posts, read 496,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Any hypothesis that cannot be falsified is meaningless.
What would the global warming (or cooling, or manmade climate-change) people take as a refutation of their hypothesis?...
CO2 within all time historical range (Not 33% out of ALL TIME range)
Global ice changing at historically normal rates, not disappearing rapidly.
Nearly unanimous consensus of people who study this saying that there was no human caused climate change? (Not including people who have "looked at both sides" whatever the hell that means).
This graphic didn't exist.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:58 AM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
Nearly unanimous consensus of people who study this saying that there was no human caused climate change? (Not including people who have "looked at both sides" whatever the hell that means).
FYI, for much of the last 10,000 years there was less than half the summer Arctic Ice than our record low in 2007 and 2012

A 10,000-Year Record of Arctic Ocean Sea-Ice Variability

Quote:
For the last 10,000 years, summer sea ice in the Arctic Ocean has been far from constant. For several thousand years, there was much less sea ice in The Arctic Ocean -- probably less than half of current amounts, according to a new study.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0804141706.htm

Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 AM

792 posts, read 496,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
FYI, for much of the last 10,000 years there was less than half the summer Arctic Ice than our record low in 2007 and 2012

A 10,000-Year Record of Arctic Ocean Sea-Ice Variability

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0804141706.htm
Quote:
The bad news is that there is a clear connection between temperature and the amount of sea ice. And there is no doubt that continued global warming will lead to a reduction in the amount of summer sea ice in the Arctic Ocean.
The important thing is rate of change, not amount. I'm very aware there has been different amounts of global ice over time. I can't believe I have to spell this out.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
*raises hand* I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. It was 22 degrees when I left the house this morning. That's cold.
Had a freeze last night here in Florida. Spring starts in just a few days.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Funny, I just looked at a stat for Charlotte area. There was crop loss this week from the Arctic Blast and I was checking into something..

Late March 1955 crops were destroyed in the south from Late cold blast. Then was one of the warmest winters followed in 1955-56 (2nd warmest in Charlotte). Climate was changing back then too?

Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Wow! An entire 166 years out of 4.5 billion years of existence. Very convincing......NOT!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
TWC just said this may end up as the coldest March on record.

I miss global warming!
I wouldn't go by anything The Weather Channel says or does. They give winter storms names when NOAA and NWS do not name winter storms and prefer the media not do so. They also royally screwed up the reporting on Tropical Storm Irene by crying about all the damage NYC was supposed to get when it was upstate NY that was going to get hammered if the storm stayed on its predicted track, and those of us who live up here already knew it the night before the storm hit. NYC didn't get anything worth talking about, whereas we had wide-scale and very severe flooding.

Fact is, where I am located, in the Albany NY area, we've had several days in the 50's and 60's this month. That's hardly normal for this time of year.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 AM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
The important thing is rate of change, not amount. I'm very aware there has been different amounts of global ice over time. I can't believe I have to spell this out.
The rate of change in Arctic sea ice is also not unprecedented. Look at the Younger Dryas period where high latitude annual temps dropped/raised 5C+ in less than a decade and lasted for centuries

Quote:
The earth was well into our current interglacial era, an age of warming oceans and melting ice sheets, when a major cooldown suddenly arrived. It’s called the 8.2 kiloyear event–or the "8.2 ka" event in scientific shorthand. Evidence for the event came from those ice cores in Greenland: these early estimates suggested that temperatures dropped between 7 and 14 degrees Fahrenheit in less than 20 years. And that drop altered ocean currents, atmospheric circulation, and weather patterns around most of the planet. In geological time scales, that's abrupt.
https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...chesapeake-bay

That doesn't mean it's not worrisome for the ecology of the high latitudes and won't have an impact on the mid latitudes. Also, the cause of change in the past might be different to the cause of change today (say orbital changes vs changes in greenhouse gasses)

Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
In most of the Northeast US yes. In addition to record cold March in 2014 and 2015, record cold February in 2015, record cold January 2014, etc
And you can counter that with temperatures in the 70's in December 2015, as well as February 2017. In the Albany NY area we have had temperatures in the 50's to lower 60's several times in the last 2 months. I can remember going out and riding my bike the day we turned the clocks forward in March 2012 because it was so warm out. 58 degrees. March 2012 was the warmest March on record up here. 2016 is also in the Top 10 for Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather