Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times

Advertisements

On the subject of cold, I think Skyrim, one of the greatest video game world's definitely deserves a mention. Climatically speaking, it's basically what I imagine Scandinavia to be like. Which makes sense since it's obviously inspired by that setting. I believe that cold weather also gave negative and positive multipliers to certain characters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Good thread. I'm not much of a "gamer" but I like that games are incorporating more weather. When I was playing computer or video games, it seemed like weather was not a factor at all. Heck, it was a big deal when Madden releases started coming out that had weather, e.g. rain or snow on the field. That was neat. But all my old WWI/II flight simulators didn't really have much weather impact although I want to say the original Red Baron *may* have had fog where it was really hard to see. And there was a diurnal cycle in a lot of those war flying games, as well.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Yeah, with quite a bit of rain as well. Which is why I used to wrongly assume that San Francisco had a typical UK climate in real life.

I think the countryside was generally wet, except for the desert regions, which had sandstorms!
I think Watch Dogs 2 does a much better job at emulating San Francisco's climate, mostly sunny with occasional fog. Even the temperature range is pretty accurate. Areas like Oakland and Silicon Valley are warmer and sunnier than San Francisco in the game as well.

https://youtu.be/Lt_NWF_trjE

Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Grand Theft Auto 4 is acclimated to a Autumn in NY.

And they were very right. Most of times cloudy, lots of rain... I remember using the weather cheat to make it sunny most times I was playing lol!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Good thread. I'm not much of a "gamer" but I like that games are incorporating more weather. When I was playing computer or video games, it seemed like weather was not a factor at all. Heck, it was a big deal when Madden releases started coming out that had weather, e.g. rain or snow on the field. That was neat. But all my old WWI/II flight simulators didn't really have much weather impact although I want to say the original Red Baron *may* have had fog where it was really hard to see. And there was a diurnal cycle in a lot of those war flying games, as well.
Yeah, I think it's impressive how well made video games even simulate realistic climate models for their worlds. It's even more impressive when they impact upon the gameplay, as you mentioning in sports games, I remember in FIFA wet conditions would cause the ball to skid along the surface.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
It's really fun to make it snow in the Dolphins stadium in Madden lol.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Grand Theft Auto 4 is acclimated to a Autumn in NY.

And they were very right. Most of times cloudy, lots of rain... I remember using the weather cheat to make it sunny most times I was playing lol!
All the GTA games have good climate simulations. I remember GTA IV was pretty grim, but that's because it was NYC in autumn, and they were trying to create a gritty feel. There's an expansion called the Ballad of Gay Tony, and the weather in that was always sunny.

Although if you like warmer weather, GTA gives you plenty of choice, you can go to the tropical Vice city, complete with occasional heavy rain, thunderstorms, and even heavy wind.

Or GTA V's near-perfect recreation of LA and the surrounding regions.

Whereas San Andreas offers several different climate zones.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
The Madden football games had weather and it would affect game play, mostly the speed the players moved at. Of course the wind would affect the game as well but mostly in kicking situations.

Baseball games had wind and if the wind was blowing out briskly, it meant that a lot of balls might leave the yard.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times
Lots of racing/outdoor sports games have weather which affects the gameplay. My favourite is going into custom mode on gran turismo and turning up the rain and just smashing the car about

Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The new zelda game (breath of the wild) has some crazy AI around weather. I frequently get caught in storms and if I don't unequip my metal sword I get struck by lightning and die occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFwiFUDb6Bk
Ugh! I wanna Switch and BotW so badly! What kinda weather conditions does the game have? How does it impact gameplay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather