U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul
A 3 12.50%
B 8 33.33%
C 4 16.67%
D 7 29.17%
E 0 0%
F 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:32 AM

130 posts, read 66,365 times

Advertisements

Slightly too hot during summer (-2)
too cold during winter (-4)
too dry (-12)
too humid (-4)
nights too warm during summer (-4)
too sunny during summer (-3)
total:71/100
grade:B-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 08:43 AM

11,353 posts, read 9,856,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
It is always hot. Where is the winter? The temperature is very close during ALL THE YEAR. It is like a tropical climate. Winter is warmer than the warmest city of Turkey in winter.
How is that a fair comparison?

Turkey is situated above 36'N and it mostly consists of (dry) continental climates and a few temperate maritime influenced climates. Turkey's warmest cities (Iskenderun and Antalya) are at 36'N and they have winters only slighter warm than Pelotas's, considering their latitude (where they actually should be cooler).

Pelotas is at 31'S and is way in the subtropics. Yet its winters are only slightly warmer than the warmest places in Turkey in winter. So, if anything, Pelotas is actually cool for its latitude in the winter. Even Australian coastal cities at 31'S have warmer winters.

P.S. I don't see how a 11C difference between summer and winter is "very close" and "like a tropical climate". That's a moderately seasonal range to me. If you want quasi-tropical temperature ranges then look no further than places like this.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,054,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
How is that a fair comparison?

Turkey is situated above 36'N and it mostly consists of (dry) continental climates and a few temperate maritime influenced climates. Turkey's warmest cities (Iskenderun and Antalya) are at 36'N and they have winters only slighter warm than Pelotas's, considering their latitude (where they actually should be cooler).

Pelotas is at 31'S and is way in the subtropics. Yet its winters are only slightly warmer than the warmest places in Turkey in winter. So, if anything, Pelotas is actually cool for its latitude in the winter. Even Australian coastal cities at 31'S have warmer winters.

P.S. I don't see how a 11C difference between summer and winter is "very close" and "like a tropical climate". That's a moderately seasonal range to me. If you want quasi-tropical temperature ranges then look no further than places like this.
I hate tropical climates, therefore I give it a F. It is far from my taste. I even gave it a F for my city's climate, which is so much better than this tropical climate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/İzmit

I even gave F for my city's climate because I had thought by turkish standards since there are too many cities above sea level which have continental climate in Turkey, therefore they are colder than my city in winter, which is seaside. But now I regret that I did it.

Last edited by atsizat; 03-25-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 AM

794 posts, read 542,855 times
I also dislike tropical and subtropical climates, but I agree with Ethereal that an F is an exaggeration. If you rate Pelotas an F, what would you rate a climate like Dallol or Vostok Station?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 AM

11,584 posts, read 7,585,132 times
Wtf Pelotas does have a seasonal range. Does 81F feel the same as 61F to you? It's not that far off from the wonderclimates https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#Climate or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo#Climate

Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Wtf Pelotas does have a seasonal range. Does 81F feel the same as 61F to you? It's not that far off from the wonderclimates https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#Climate or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo#Climate
Really? Its coldest month is like my city's April and July and August is hotter here than its hottest months. What kind of seasonal change is that? And I live in a city that has oceanic climate.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,147,378 times
16C is much different from 27C. It may have a limited seasonal range (and much too small for me) but it certainly has noticeable seasons. And with a mean of 12C in July, it is far below the threshold for a tropical climate.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,533 posts, read 1,544,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
Really? Its coldest month is like my city's April and July and August is hotter here than its hottest months. What kind of seasonal change is that? And I live in a city that has oceanic climate.

If thoses places didnt have winter then why they have native deciduous trees?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
I also dislike tropical and subtropical climates, but I agree with Ethereal that an F is an exaggeration. If you rate Pelotas an F, what would you rate a climate like Dallol or Vostok Station?
Vostok Station is not even an inhibated place. The coldest inhibated place is Oymyakon.

In Antarctica, I think the biggest problem is the storm. It is incredibly windy in winter.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 AM

11,584 posts, read 7,585,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
If thoses places didnt have winter then why they have native deciduous trees?
Shhhh, be quiet. Everyone knows a winter is only when the average January highs are like -25C and you get 600 inches of snow a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather