U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul
A 3 12.50%
B 8 33.33%
C 4 16.67%
D 7 29.17%
E 0 0%
F 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,054,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Shhhh, be quiet. Everyone knows a winter is only when the average January highs are like -25C and you get 600 inches of snow a year!
Winter is not having +8℃ average low in the coldest months. It is the average low temperature of April where I live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 10:25 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,147,378 times
Do people seriously not understand that winter is a meteorological season of lower temps and shorter days and not the word to describe cold weather???? Winter is NOT defined by a certain temp threshold but merely by having cooler temps and shorter days. Pelotas does not have a COLD winter but it certainly has a winter unless you want to make some idiotic argument that 12C and 22C are the same thing.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:57 AM

794 posts, read 542,855 times
To be fair, if you google "winter", 99% of the images will feature snow. atsizat is just not using the scientific definition of winter but what most people think of when they hear or read the word "winter".

Old 03-25-2017, 11:04 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,993,678 times
D, too much rain, not very much sun for that latitude, too much humidity and summers are probably very muggy.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:37 PM

11,353 posts, read 9,856,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
I hate tropical climates, therefore I give it a F. It is far from my taste. I even gave it a F for my city's climate, which is so much better than this tropical climate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/İzmit

I even gave F for my city's climate because I had thought by turkish standards since there are too many cities above sea level which have continental climate in Turkey, therefore they are colder than my city in winter, which is seaside. But now I regret that I did it.
Fair enough about your F rating, but Pelotas is just not tropical.

Just because Turkish cities have continental-esque climates (colder winters, hotter summers), doesn't mean that places with a narrower range are now all tropical. Sure, they may be tropical for you, but you shouldn't outright label them as that.

Is Sydney tropical to you too, considering how similar it is to Pelotas?

To be fair, your city isn't bad if you like seasonal variations. It has relatively distinct summers and winters. I think you're being too harsh on Izmit.

Quote:
Vostok Station is not even an inhibated place. The coldest inhibated place is Oymyakon.
Welcome to the city data board, where we also happen to rate uninhabited places.

Okay, a fairer question: If Pelotas and Izmit are Fs, then what would you rate Hong Kong, Rio Di Janeiro, Miami, Singapore, etc?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM

4,334 posts, read 2,418,780 times
Pelotas actually gets a bit more annual sunshine hours than Rio...but that is not saying much. I'd still take Rio's climate over Pelotas due to the warmer year round temps.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Fair enough about your F rating, but Pelotas is just not tropical.

Just because Turkish cities have continental-esque climates (colder winters, hotter summers), doesn't mean that places with a narrower range are now all tropical. Sure, they may be tropical for you, but you shouldn't outright label them as that.

Is Sydney tropical to you too, considering how similar it is to Pelotas?

To be fair, your city isn't bad if you like seasonal variations. It has relatively distinct summers and winters. I think you're being too harsh on Izmit.

Welcome to the city data board, where we also happen to rate uninhabited places.

Okay, a fairer question: If Pelotas and Izmit are Fs, then what would you rate Hong Kong, Rio Di Janeiro, Miami, Singapore, etc?
Cities that have oceanic climates also have so much more temperature difference during the year. The temperature change in Pelotas is way too low by oceanic climate standards already. My city, Izmit has oceanic climate also. Izmit is seaside too. Continental climates have much more temperature difference than my city, Izmit already.

I regret having rated my city F but I can't go back in time and change my raiting
Rate my city's climate

I give F for all of the places you said above, since F is the lowest point.

Last edited by atsizat; 03-26-2017 at 04:52 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 AM

11,584 posts, read 7,585,132 times
I don't like Izmit too much either. Izmir tho, that's a yummy climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0zmir

Old 03-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't like Izmit too much either. Izmir tho, that's a yummy climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0zmir
I dislike the climate of my city, Izmit for being way too warm in winter. Not a likeable climate. I agree with you on Izmit.

Last edited by atsizat; 03-26-2017 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 12:24 AM

11,353 posts, read 9,856,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
Cities that have oceanic climates also have so much more temperature difference during the year. The temperature change in Pelotas is way too low by oceanic climate standards already. My city, Izmit has oceanic climate also. Izmit is seaside too. Continental climates have much more temperature difference than my city, Izmit already.
Wrong.

Washington DC, Milan, Sochi and NYC are humid subtropical and yet they have a bigger temperature range than say, London, Paris and Wellington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather