Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM

308 posts, read 225,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yes would be kinda cool.

My area would have climate like Kentucky or Tennessee....good in a way, bad in a way.
Milder winter but hotter summer is the trade off.
I don't think our area would be as hot as Kentucky or Tennessee in the summer due to lake moderation. Think Ohio Valley temps but a lot more humid since we'd be surrounded by very warm lakes.
There would be a lot of thunderstorms too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDavid View Post
I don't think our area would be as hot as Kentucky or Tennessee in the summer due to lake moderation. Think Ohio Valley temps but a lot more humid since we'd be surrounded by very warm lakes.
There would be a lot of thunderstorms too.
I'd say you'd get a pretty similar climate to Washington D.C. or Salisbury. It's even possible that it'll be substantially warmer as well since the Hudson Bay won't be such a frozen hellhole, making its cooling effect less substantial.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM

308 posts, read 225,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I'd say you'd get a pretty similar climate to Washington D.C. or Salisbury. It's even possible that it'll be substantially warmer as well since the Hudson Bay won't be such a frozen hellhole, making its cooling effect less substantial.
Good point about Hudson Bay. There might even be an HP over the bay in the summer.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:45 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Lol, that's a good way of putting it. Hudson Bay has a really detrimental effect on our climate imo. It remains frozen over for a very long time, so by late-February/March/April it becomes like a conductor for Arctic air to dive into Quebec and the Northeast. How many times have we seen the polar vortex park itself directly over the Hudson Bay late in the winter? Quite a few. I bet if we had just land there, we'd have colder winters but significantly warmer springs

Old 04-07-2017, 11:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
No. It would be way too hot. Its hot enough in Texas as it is! Leave it where it is, its perfect! The Northeast doesn't need to be warm. Its 4 seasons is part of its identity, take it or leave it.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:40 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,300 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...em-solved.html

Old 04-08-2017, 09:47 AM

1,363 posts, read 791,328 times
The climate everywhere in the country would be slightly better, relative to their existing climates.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
No, everything would be worse by far.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 PM

149 posts, read 89,423 times
In this scenario my desire to get the heck out of here would be even stronger as our "winters" would disappear and the entire year would become a hellish, bug-infested nightmare.

How about instead we reduce the global temperature by 5 degrees Celsius?

Old 04-08-2017, 05:21 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Yes, because by moving 5 degrees south, they'd lower their summer highs by 4'C, as well as their annual average low. Vancouver is placed in a large bay, not against the ocean. Comparing Vancouver's oceanicity to Newport's is like comparing Vallejo, California or San José to San Francisco. Assuming the ocean currents stay exactly the same, Vancouver might lose a very slight summer average, but definitely not 4'C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Very good observation. Vancouver is not directly on the Pacific Ocean....that would be
the west coast of Vancouver Island....even the east coast of Vancouver Island enjoys being
sheltered from the big bad Pacific....that's why Victoria, Duncan, and Nanaimo are so good
I was mainly referring to the winters in reference to the CIDPs... We would get about the same winter temperatures as Newport. Summers might be a bit warmer than what Newport has as Vancouver Island does have some effect but it's not that much. The biggest difference with Vancouver Island there would be it would be way less windy than Newport is currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather