Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:06 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Anywhere outside the tropics has 4 seasons, Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter (to variable degrees), anywhere within the tropics has 2, Wet or Dry (to variable degrees), saying London doesn't have 4 distinct seasons is just plain daft!
And what about Tatoosh Island (I mentioned it in post #8)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tato...ington#Climate
1st season between Nov and Apr, the mean temp is between 5C and 10C and the 2nd season is from May to Oct, with mean temps between 10C and 15C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 02:27 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London is 100% a 4 season climate.

Anyone saying otherwise has never spent a year here.
Don't you think 23.5℃ Average high in the hottest month is a little weak to be a summer? It is the temperature of May where I live.

Last edited by atsizat; 04-11-2017 at 02:43 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 02:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
Don't you think 23.5℃ Average high in the hottest month is very weak to be a summer? It is the temperature of May where I live.
It sounds like summer to me.

If this notion of some places having no summers is to be followed, then some odd logic follows on from that- eg: " summerless" climates have watermelon ready to eat in spring, while warmer climates have watermelon ready in summer - how does that make sense?

Also, climates that supposedly only have spring and autumn, would generally have a lower temperature range from the start of one season to the end, than many so called 4 season climates. So not only would they have no summer/ winter, but they would have" a weak spring and autumn - more crazy logic.

Best not to fool around with the definitions of seasons.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:53 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,911 times
Completely depends on where you are from and also the daylight. For example any climate with a midnight sun and polar night automatically have four seasons because of the vast differences of light throughout the year. Especially below 60N though I'm demanding for one month to be below 0C in means to call it winter. If milder than that I'd call it a prolonged fall/spring shift.

Speaking of Tatoosh - that's one weird climate. Imagine all the stuff that would be able to grow there in spite of summer highs only being 15C Utterly ridiculous for living though had it been so! I guess though that its high winds would limit most plants regardless...

Old 04-11-2017, 04:38 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,691,224 times
In my mind Slåtterøy is a four season climate, but it seems that for some of you it would be, well, a two-season climate?

Old 04-11-2017, 04:39 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times
3,5 seasons here

Spring: warm and dry with cool rainy spells here and there
Summer: hot and dry with humid spells
Fall: warm / cool and humid
Winter: cold and very humid usually

Everyday in the forecast is in the 20-25c territory and it's just early April. Then we have a 6 months summer by some definitions.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:55 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,331 times
Quote:
Don't you think 23.5℃ Average high in the hottest month is a little weak to be a summer? It is the temperature of May where I live.
I agree. Hartford, CT's (BDL) warmest May (66.0/18.8) and September (68.7/20.3) are warmer than London's warmest month (65.8/18.7). And guess what? May and September are not meteorological summer months in Hartford.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,578 times
Quote:
No! It is too weak to be a hot summer, but it is certainly a summer. Summer is just a period of time with warmer temps and longer days. And what's wrong with having a "cool summer"? Why does it have to be no summer the minute it's not hot. Seasons may have weather conditions associated with them, but that is not at all how they're defined.

And spring and fall are transition seasons. A stable 3 month plateau of warmer/colder temps is not a transition to anything so you can't have eternal spring or spring and fall as the only two seasons. And no place goes directly from winter to summer, especially not a continental climate.

And defining something like summer by comparing it to other climates is stupid af. So now Fairbanks doesn't have a summer, even though it is 70 degrees warmer than in the winter, because it's cooler than may in a subtropical climate??? Rochester doesn't have a winter, because antaractica has cooler summers?? When will this madness end?

This is a dumb thread for people to use incorrect, unscientific reasoning. I recommend it gets closed.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:08 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Hartford also has real autumns and springs, while London only has one season, which doesn't have a name.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
No! It is too weak to be a hot summer, but it is certainly a summer. Summer is just a period of time with warmer temps and longer days. And what's wrong with having a "cool summer"? Why does it have to be no summer the minute it's not hot. Seasons may have weather conditions associated with them, but that is not at all how they're defined.

And spring and fall are transition seasons. A stable 3 month plateau of warmer/colder temps is not a transition to anything so you can't have eternal spring or spring and fall as the only two seasons. And no place goes directly from winter to summer, especially not a continental climate.

And defining something like summer by comparing it to other climates is stupid af. So now Fairbanks doesn't have a summer, even though it is 70 degrees warmer than in the winter, because it's cooler than may in a subtropical climate??? Rochester doesn't have a winter, because antaractica has cooler summers?? When will this madness end?

This is a dumb thread for people to use incorrect, unscientific reasoning. I recommend it gets closed.
Why are being so emotional and defensive?

You were actually one of the better users in here, where you've made rational arguments here and there. How did you get from "I respectfully disagree with this" to "this is like so dumb, plss off"?

And the funny thing is, I actually agree with you. So relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather