Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 01:41 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,804,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'd always assumed they were dying if they were lying on the ground. Good to know they can be helped.
Me too, I didn't know that either! I'll definitely bear that in mind when I next see one.

Btw, I've never been stung by a wasp or bee. I used to fish alot when I was younger with my best mate, and he got stung on several occasions by wasps! Never me though, weird.
I still don't like wasps though. Does anybody?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:47 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,492,662 times
Today I saw a new low...

Even by Somali standards putting a hijab on two girls one and two years old...

is... a new stinker

#banislam #burnthequran #f*ckreligion

Lucky for them it's illegal in this country to confront mussies when they're acting deplorable even if it's just to tell them it's f*cking child abuse what they're doing. I'm not going to sit in an illegitimate treasonous court hauled up for fake charges of hurting mussie feels, seriously. This nazi government and their Gestapo can f*ck right off. Yes, this government is using the nazi playbook to oppress any opposition. Anyone voting for them in the next election deserves their citizenship revoked

Everyone here knows I don't care what race anyone is but that culture... seriously.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
The wasps I least like (even though I haven't been stung by one of them), are the mason wasps, that tranquilize spiders, and bury them in those mud tunnels they make. That annoying sound they make when tunnel making, and the half eaten spiders falling from the ceiling, when the young wasps are hatching, isn't cool.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM

19 posts, read 11,405 times
bought a can of snuff a few days ago. not good for your nostrils...

Old 07-12-2017, 01:56 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,909,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The wasps I least like (even though I haven't been stung by one of them), are the mason wasps, that tranquilize spiders, and bury them in those mud tunnels they make. That annoying sound they make when tunnel making, and the half eaten spiders falling from the ceiling, when the young wasps are hatching, isn't cool.
Haven't our European Wasps become an invasive species over there, or is it just Australia?

Apparently the mild winters allow their colonies to survive much longer, and their nests grow to gigantic proportions.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Haven't our European Wasps become an invasive species over there, or is it just Australia?

Apparently the mild winters allow their colonies to survive much longer, and their nests grow to gigantic proportions.
Yep, a major problem here. I don't know about Australia -didn't see a single one where I was.

I'm not sure that mild winters is the only reason they do so well, as the worst affected area in this region has a winter average of around -2C/7C, and about 90-100 air frosts a year --which would be hard to find in the UK. It could be that the native bush provides food year round.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yep, a major problem here. I don't know about Australia -didn't see a single one where I was.
From what I've read they're considered a pest in eastern states of Australia, but haven't yet established themselves in western Australia.

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/european...fication-guide

Old 07-12-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that mild winters is the only reason they do so well, as the worst affected area in this region has a winter average of around -2C/7C, and about 90-100 air frosts a year --which would be hard to find in the UK. It could be that the native bush provides food year round.
I assume the wasps also find it easier to aquire food there. As with anywhere that has invasive predators, the native animals often haven't developed defence mechanisms to cope with them. According to one website, The predation rate of wasps on some native invertebrates is so high that the probability of their populations surviving through the wasp season is virtually nil.

Wasp Web: Information on Vespula Wasps in New Zealand | Invasive invertebrates | Landcare Research

Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,294,871 times
I don't think the cold really means anything. Over there in the Russian countryside the average winter highs were about -5C, and yet the wasps were like little buzzing devils come summertime. I never really encountered many wasps in the Americas despite milder temperatures

Old 07-12-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't think the cold really means anything. Over there in the Russian countryside the average winter highs were about -5C, and yet the wasps were like little buzzing devils come summertime. I never really encountered many wasps in the Americas despite milder temperatures
I was referring to how long a colony survives. No matter how cold the winter is, they will always return in the summer because the Queens hibernate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.