Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 04:34 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
You're probably right. Many of the most conservative parts of the country are the areas surrounding London.

I think there's a similar pattern in the US? As ethnic minorities increase within a city, whites relocate to the suburbs or rural areas around the city.
Yes, Canvey Island and Sjöbo match each other to a T

Rural areas near a large metropolis (Malmö/Copenhagen or London) and extremely right-wing socially.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Most republican area of New York State is the lower half or so of Staten Island, outer part of NYC. Also gave trump its best vote in the republican primary of any county except the last few states. Very Italian-American, kinda blue-collar, white-flight played a big role. Getting some immigrants these days, 0 blacks.

Not as culturally conservative in the religious sense as a lot of the south or even rural upstate.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most republican area of New York State is the lower half or so of Staten Island, outer part of NYC. Also gave trump its best vote in the republican primary of any county except the last few states. Very Italian-American, kinda blue-collar, white-flight played a big role. Getting some immigrants these days, 0 blacks.

Not as culturally conservative in the religious sense as a lot of the south or even rural upstate.
Staten Island is the most Italian (per capita) county in this country, but my area isn't too far behind.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:44 PM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
The 2000's was **** in terms of mainstream music, holy ****, but recent years has seen a great improvement. A lot more jazz/soul incorporated in modern pop (Dam Smith for example), and indie has become the mainstream. When even Justin Bieber sounds half-decent, like he has in the latest couple of years, you know there's been a shift. Ed Sheeran's new indie-hip-hop-singer-songwriter stuff is also pretty good. Modern Pop has overall become a lot more "alternative", which I like. It's not just four-chord songs or silly electronic music.
Are we talking about the same Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran? Biebs still sucks as much as he used to, and Ed seems to have a knack for turning out complete garbage. Does anybody sane actually like the sleazy and disgusting, but meanwhile boring and insincere, "Shape of You"?

My top 10 song list is exclusively from the 70s and 80s:
1. Van Halen - Why Can't This Be Love (86)
2. Van Halen - When It's Love (88)
3. Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance (82)
4. Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55 (84)
5. Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer (86)
6. Whitesnake - Here I Go Again (87)
7. ELO - Don't Bring Me Down (79)
8. Genesis - Invisible Touch (86)
9. A-ha - Take On Me (85)
10. Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up (87)

Yes, I actually like NGGYU, and it's a shame a classic song had to be ruined by a meme (rick rolling, of course).

As my crudely drawn graph shows, the peak times for music IMO were the late 60s (lots of diversity and experimentation, quite a bit of weird drugged-out stuff [at least it's not the same 3-4 chords!] but in general a low noise-to-signal ratio) and the early-mid 80s (new wave, REAL rock, and in general lots of jammable, feel-good hits).

The 1972-76 period saw a trough on my graph due to the preponderance of boring soft rock, the rise of the cheesy love ballad, and the general lull in creativity. I actually like disco; at least a nice, lively disco song can't put you to sleep!

The late 80s saw the increased commercialization of music and a huge increase in hip-hop/rap in mainstream hits, which led to the huge drop on my graph. The pop/dance music of the 90s is still good, and there was still some decent rock at the time too (I actually like Green Day, for instance), but the decline was evident as bands like Van Halen started seeing less mainstream success.

The autotuned electropop of the late 00s/early-mid 10s wasn't my thing, and neither is the Millennial Whoop; let's try to make a pop song without annoying "oh-whoa-whoa" noises, shall we? The late 00s to the present also seem to have the most homogeneous, canned structure and subject matter; in 2009, 92% of songs were about sex and sexual behavior (about 92% too high if you ask me), and in general hit music was pretty dire.

In Q3-4 2014, IMO heralded in by Taylor Swift's 1989 and by Meghan Trainor, a whole new wave of sucking washed over the music industry. There still were some good songs in the 00s and early 10s, but this new wave made the 2014-15 school year produce only one good hit ("Shut Up and Dance"), and that same school year also birthed meme rap (yuck) and the trap epidemic.

What this leaves us with in 2017, the first year without even a decent hit song, is a barren wasteland of talentless hacks putting out garbage and even the oldies-influenced stuff becoming pure 2017-esque crap. I have actually given up listening to pop radio; give me Sirius stations 6-9, 25, 26, and 33 and I'll be happy.

Edit: For more on my music tastes, feel free to check out my Rate Your Music profile.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Couldn't agree more. They're not compatible with any civilized country.

I saw a woman in a burqa yesterday and it was frankly disturbing. So backwards.
Wow.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
This weekend went by way too quickly.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Here, the most anti-immigration people are from areas where there are barely any immigrants, e.g. rural Eastern Germany.
Same here. Most people complaining about Mexicans and immigrants are the same ones who live in 99% lily white areas, whereas people from New York and Los Angeles and Chicago (aka places where the immigrants are actually moving to) are very liberal on immigration

Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
most seem fine, in my experience. But there's a substantial extremist minority that cause problems. Saw a woman in a burqa a few weeks ago; weird and not human looking. Tried not to stare. Oddly, in the group she was in [I think they were Pakistani?] another woman didn't even cover her hair.
I'm fine with them as long as they come from countries with little terrorism risk, like Bosnia or Indonesia or Bangladesh. If a large amount of unchecked Saudi or Palestinian immigrants were moving here I would be concerned

Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Burqas are pretty sh*t, yeah they have the freedom to wear it but it's ironic because it represents oppression and the treatment of women as second class citizens.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:13 PM

I think hijabs are totally chill, but burqas are a bit too far for me. Hijabs are nice tho, in some cases they can look really beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather