Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best climate?
Spain 67 55.37%
California 54 44.63%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,679,850 times

Advertisements

California is beyond beautiful but the cold water and cool nights in summer are major downers. Spain for me. The Pyrenees are the prettiest mountains I've seen (not magistic like the Alps or Rockies but really clean, minimal underbrush but not dry either, and gracious) and the Atlantic and Mediterranean are clear and warm. Major advantage.

Warm, downright hot, nights are my favorite. I like humid and sultry. And while Spain isn't really either of those things, it is more than Califonia. But I'm a creature of my geography (East Coadt USA). I like my 4 seasons and for my air to be silky and thick with animal and incect noise (and to smell like wood burning fireplaces in the winter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:38 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,171,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
California is beyond beautiful but the cold water and cool nights in summer are major downers. Spain for me. The Pyrenees are the prettiest mountains I've seen (not magistic like the Alps or Rockies but really clean, minimal underbrush but not dry either, and gracious) and the Atlantic and Mediterranean are clear and warm. Major advantage.

Warm, downright hot, nights are my favorite. I like humid and sultry. And while Spain isn't really either of those things, it is more than Califonia. But I'm a creature of my geography (East Coadt USA). I like my 4 seasons and for my air to be silky and thick with animal and incect noise (and to smell like wood burning fireplaces in the winter).
Coastal Southern California has seen plenty of SST of 75F + along with balmy overnight lows (68-75F) over the past three summers. If this summer is similar, we are in a long term warm epoch that could last decades to come. I'll take warm epoch Southern California over Spain but if we return to cooler than normal conditions in the coast (like summer of 2010), I'll take Spain over coastal Southern California.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:24 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,537,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Of those species I listed some have dozens in the genus (like Dypsis for example) & many are tricky to grow needing warmer winters than anywhere in Europe can give them. Also there are lots of higher altitude tropical palms that need cooler summers than the warmer parts of Spain & the cooler parts have winters that are too cold. These grow very well in coastal northern California such as the San Francisco bay area. Yes Spain can grow lots of palms but nothing like the species that can grow in California
I think high altitude and oceanic palms would do fine in A Coruña. Pretty much anything that will grow in SoCal will grow in Málaga. Spain just lacks the equivalent of the Coachella Desert...so California just has peninsular Spain beat on the topic of coconuts. Not as great a divide as you state.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:27 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,615,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I think high altitude and oceanic palms would do fine in A Coruña. Pretty much anything that will grow in SoCal will grow in Málaga. Spain just lacks the equivalent of the Coachella Desert...so California just has peninsular Spain beat on the topic of coconuts. Not as great a divide as you state.
Exactly! Thanks. I didn't want to make this discussion longer but is exactly as you say...

Many people from the US (quite from California) in the biggest palm forum (palmtalk) were literally unbelieving which kind of palms and plants grow in Málaga, and their size. Taking account that Málaga is at 37ºN, and many of those can't be grown even in the coast of Florida at 30ºN which is much warmer year round due to the heavy cold waves which can happen there. We achieved that the northernmost Roystonea of the world is at 41ºN in Spain too. Looks trashy, but I found photos of differents years between them, and the palm is pretty big. It's incredible, 41ºN...

Roystoneas can grow in Málaga as big as in mild tropical climates. I've posted a pic before, of course they take from quite to much more time to achieve that size but they achieve it perfectly!

This is the Roystonea mentioned before at 41ºN in Cambrils, Tarragona, Spain. Gets winter damage, specially from colder years like in 2011 (the 1st pic is from the summer of 2011) but still renew it's leaves.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,352,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Coastal Southern California has seen plenty of SST of 75F + along with balmy overnight lows (68-75F) over the past three summers. If this summer is similar, we are in a long term warm epoch that could last decades to come. I'll take warm epoch Southern California over Spain but if we return to cooler than normal conditions in the coast (like summer of 2010), I'll take Spain over coastal Southern California.
Lol, yeah, three summers is proof of a "warm epoch", you have a new climate now huh?!

FFS.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:27 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,314,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Lol, yeah, three summers is proof of a "warm epoch", you have a new climate now huh?!

FFS.
Remember how the Seattle guy used to brag about the neverending warmth and then Seattle went on and had four straight cold months, and a barely above average April

Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,352,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Remember how the Seattle guy used to brag about the neverending warmth and then Seattle went on and had four straight cold months, and a barely above average April
Lol, the warm-biased posters always seem to magically fall off when their location is having cooler than normal weather.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,571,093 times
The best counterpart of California is not Spain nor Portugal, but Morocco.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:20 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,499,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
The best counterpart of California is not Spain nor Portugal, but Morocco.
In many ways, but with a touch of a continental Galicia in the north and more like a wetter Namibia on the immediate coastline below San Francisco. From the Bay Area onwards the climate is more reminiscent of a wetter hinterland version of Northern Spain.

Last edited by lommaren; 05-04-2017 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:30 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,615,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
In many ways, but with a touch of a continental Galicia in the north and more like a wetter Namibia on the immediate coastline below San Francisco. From the Bay Area onwards the climate is more reminiscent of a wetter hinterland version of Northern Spain.
I can't thank you more the last bump you did on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather