Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best climate?
Spain 67 55.37%
California 54 44.63%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Exactly, both of them post like google translate is vomiting up their sentances lmao.

Someone should try to find examples of then both posting something like. "With todays maintenance of spring, Valencia and Altea arrived on 30C"
What's funny is its true, a sentence like that would not be unlike him at all. I LMAO when I saw that because I know it's true and does sound like it was copied verbatim from Google translate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
For example, "I speak a perfect English" is a direct translation from "Hablo un Ingles perfecto." You don't need the "a" in that sentence.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Then would you say it? "I have a perfect English level" ? I think that you perfectly understood me too. lol

Ok then, I passed the prominent English first level (C1) but according to 2 city-data members I translate from Spanish to English and I speak it bad.

Too bad I keep my privacy in this forum, if not I would upload a image of my tests to close your big mouths. And yes of course i'm half of the forum. Whatever dude... Not even worth.
You would say "I speak perfect english" or "I got a prefect score on my English exam".

I could probably pass AP spanish but that doesn't mean I speak perfect spanish or, even if my way of talking is grammatically correct, speak like someone for whom spanish is their first language.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:45 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,864 times
Quote:
It's not terrible english, it just usually sounds kind of forced and mechanical and alot of the time you use words that in a literal sense kind of mean what you're trying to say, hence why I made the google translate reference, but would never be used by an English speaker in that context. Additionally, like you said, your use of prepositions and conjumctions (and, on, in, to with) is rather poor. I probably spund bery similar when I communicate in spanish.
Well, when I was in France and Germany I used English with all of the people and no one asked me to repeat what I was saying but even they understood me at the 1st instance.

I was grown up in Spain, not in Netherlands, probably in Netherlands I would have a native level or something like that, most of my Spanish colleagues have bad or unknown English, although some speak it perfectly. The English level at the high school here is not bad, but it's basic, and you can do a very weak effort to approve it (a 5 over 10 it's approved here).

I'm watching now The Man in The High Castle, Patriot and The Grand Tour in V.O. and I perfectly understand 95% of the dialogues.

Btw in Netflix I watch all in Spanish, as I'm natural with the Spanish dubs.

Quote:
Exactly, both of them post like google translate is vomiting up their sentances lmao.

Someone should try to find examples of then both posting something like. "With todays maintenance of spring, Valencia and Altea arrived on 30C"
lol! f. off I would never say something like that lol "With todays maintenance of spring" wtf is this crap hahahaha

Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Well, when I was in France and Germany I used English with all of the people and no one asked me to repeat what I was saying but even they understood me at the 1st instance.

I was grown up in Spain, not in Netherlands, probably in Netherlands I would have a native level or something like that, most of my Spanish colleagues have bad or unknown English, although some speak it perfectly. The English level at the high school here is not bad, but it's basic, and you can do a very weak effort to approve it (a 5 over 10 it's approved here).

I'm watching now The Man in The High Castle, Patriot and The Grand Tour in V.O. and I perfectly understand 95% of the dialogues.

Have unknown English and I was grown up in Spain are perfect examples of where your English falters. Now we understand you certainly but it is not correctly spoken. I grew up in Spain and don't know English would have been better, or unknowledgeable in english.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:

lol! f. off I would never say something like that lol "With todays maintenance of spring" wtf is this crap hahahaha
I'm sure I could understand you perfectly and I'm equally sure that you could understand me if I spoke to you in spanish. That doesn't change the fact that your choice of words and improper grammar make it clear that you're not a native speaker.

muslim12 is right, just in what you posted above there are a number or errors, the most notable of which being when you said "unknown english" that's a perfect exampe of something that, by definition, migjt make sense but linguistically doesn't and would never be used in any form of conversation. A english speaker would have said something like "my colleagues have poor or nonexistant english"

Old 05-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Have unknown English and I was grown up in Spain are perfect examples of where your English falters. Now we understand you certainly but it is not correctly spoken. I grew up in Spain and don't know English would have been better, or unknowledgeable in english.
Quote:
I'm sure I could understand you perfectly and I'm equally sure that you could understand me if I spoke to you in spanish. That doesn't change the fact that your choice of words and improper grammar make it clear that you're not a native speaker.
Of course i'm not native in English, but like I said I have a C1 level which is first prominent. 2 lower levels than the highest level in English. Sometimes I make a little mistake which is translating mostly from Spanish to English which are the results seen above. Although they're understandeable at 100% they are not perfectly formulated. I understand both of your points. But I really passed that exam...

But please don't say me that I speak a f*cking Google Translator English because we know that I do much better than that. That's offensive. Take a look:

Google Translate: Today I was following the altea time when I realized that the day it was sunny although it is now cloudy

El Junter's English: Today I was watching the weather of Altea when I realized that it was a sunny day, although now is cloudy

Last edited by ase42dv; 05-11-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Of course i'm not native in English, but like I said I have a C1 level which is first prominent. 2 lower levels than the highest level in English. Sometimes I make a little mistake which is translating anything from Spanish (and Dutch in a less manner) to English which are the results seen above. Although they're understandeable at 100% they are not perfectly formulated. I understand both of your points.

But please don't say me that I speak a f*cking Google Translator English because we know that I do much better than that. That's offensive. Take a look:

Google Translate: Today I was following the altea time when I realized that the day it was sunny although it is now cloudy

El Junter's English: Today I was watching the weather of Altea when I realized that it was a sunny day, although now is cloudy
English speaker english: Today, while observing the weather in Altea, I realized that although it was sunny earlier, it has turned overcast.

This sentance is far worse than the one you ridiculed me for making up:

Quote:
Oh thanks, I didn't found that page by doing a simply Google search!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
English speaker english: Today, while observing the weather in Altea, I realized that although it was sunny earlier, it has turned overcast.

This sentance is far worse than the one you ridiculed me for making up:
Anyone has mistakes.

Now I would say: I didn't found that page whilst doing a simple Google search! Is this how would you say it?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Anyone has mistakes.
No worries lol, all we were tryimg to say is that that's why we could tell that you're "gareth".

anyway, here's how I would probably say the sentance you suggested in spanish:

"Mas temprano hoy yo visto muchos nubles pero ahora estas soleando" (mangled I know)

Close, a correct way of saying it would be "Thanks, I wasn't able to find that page doing a simple google search"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather