Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Strawberries in warm climates should only be grown in winter. They are a cool weather crop. If May ends up warmer than avg here, the strawberries season lasts around a week. If May is average or cooler it can last weeks. They are gone by June though around here.
Cherries can't grow here, mine has never fruited. Climate too warm and they need all sorts of soil amendments. Strawberry season here this year was march! Thanks to the record warm february! Very early indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 02:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Cherries can't grow here, mine has never fruited. Climate too warm and they need all sorts of soil amendments. Strawberry season here this year was march! Thanks to the record warm february! Very early indeed

It is in February/Mar in Savannah when they pick them. Both winters I have been there in January their strawberry crops already had little red strawberries on them. That is why I said they have to be grown in winter where Spring and Summer are too warm.

When is your strawberry season normally without a really warm Feb?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
There are no advantages to me, minus the longer daylight hours in summer. But that comes at a cost with short winter days

Old 05-01-2017, 02:14 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You find English to be more pale than people from Nordic countries?
It was the first week of July when I was in Tampere so a peak sun angle of around 51 degrees, same as 10th August here. It's usually about 20th August when I can be out all day without needing any kind of sun cream on here so it makes sense that I got burnt there. I've noticed too that I don't get sunburnt as easily as I used to (I was only 21 then) as well.

There are actually a few beaches in Tampere by the lakes, certainly didn't expect to be spending much time sunbathing on the beach in nearly 80F weather in an inland city at 61N.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:15 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
There are no advantages to me, minus the longer daylight hours in summer. But that comes at a cost with short winter days

A lot of climates have that give and take. We pay for a warm summer with a cold winter.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:22 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

'Nypotatis'. Do you have them in Norway? In Finland and Sweden the potatoes grow so fast due to the long days that in Central Europe they will still be toxic, while here ready to eat. Another is strawberries. For example Spanish strawberries taste absolutely terrible.
Oh yes, we have "Nypoteter". And we have many fields of strawberries along the Trondheim fjord. They even grow strawberries north of the Arctic Circle, as in the Harstad - area.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:24 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,008 times
shorter days are better than long days in winter , all that gloom and grey is unsightly and depressing - better when it's dark so you don't notice it imho

Old 05-01-2017, 02:25 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,406,093 times
I prefer to have at least 7 hours of night time in the summer solstice, so anywhere poleward of 53.4°N/S doesn't appeal to me to live for a long period of time.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
The daylight hours in summer is obviously the main advantage. When being in the Gulf Stream hinterland it can create a brilliant crossover of a low sun, full daylight and 25C simultaneously after 8 pm, which is arguably the best climatic condition on offer in the world!

Apart from that I fail to see many advantages. We're lucky here with being to the west on the continent with the most powerful ocean current there is aiding temps and even so it feels like living in a polar wasteland from November to March and let's be honest; neither April nor October are too pleasant either. The sole advantage I can see is the daylight in summer as mentioned above, but in winter there's a severe mood issue for many people with a lack of energy and perpetual fatigue due to the absence of sunlight and the perpetual nights. Would there be global warming at a runaway scenario though this latitude may be an oasis. Who knows?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
One other advantage of higher latitudes is longer twilights year-round, not just in summer. The 4.5 hours of daylight in Trondheim on the winter solstice doesn't sound quite so bad when you add on 2.5 hours of civil twilight. By the time you get to the spring equinox, daylight already lasts from 5.30 am until nearly 7.30 pm if you take civil twilight into account.

What's also better is more spectacular sunrises/sunsets if the Svalbard webcam pictures are anything to go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather