Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When?
1-15 May 1 1.85%
16-31 May 10 18.52%
1-15 June 13 24.07%
16-30 June 14 25.93%
1 July or later 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,363,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I actually looked it up. Seattle gets 124 rain days per year on average if 1 mm threshold is used. Only 37 days in the warmer 6 months of the year (May-October).
124 isn't a lot .

it has one of those wet ,cool climates where it feels like it's about to rain at any time - a lot like north west Europe generally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,906,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I do compare it with the stats from SE England, and it looks a lot better here.

I don't see the opinions of British immigrants as anecdotal. It's not hard to talk to one here on a daily basis, and I really can't remember one saying that the climate here was marginally better. Dunedin and Invercargill are worse than the SE of England imo, but I'm not seeing any Motueka, Gisborne, Tauranga, or Auckland like climates over there.
Most British tourists visit large cities like Christchurch, Wellington & Auckland.

I'm seriously struggling to see how those summer are better than a typical summer in south-east England, in fact they look slightly worse. Even Auckland is pretty lame, highs neither here nor there when compared to London, and a record high of only 30C, which London will usually surpass a few times every year.

Yes, there's nicer climates in NZ, but there less populated and not necessarily the first port of call for visiting Brits. People don't go to NZ for the weather, period. If they want good summer weather they visit that larger country to the north-west.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I ask someone about NZ's weather they will just shrug their shoulders, few people are familiar with the climate there. People just know that it has nice landscapes and a very good rugby team.

but this Joe fella wants us to believe it's some tropical island with dancing girls in ra ra skirts , for sure

Old 05-22-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
but this Joe fella wants us to believe it's some tropical island with dancing girls in ra ra skirts , for sure
He seems to spend a lot of time trying to validate NZ's climate to himself. He'll probably give us a story about eating a homegrown orange on top of a mountain in a minute

Old 05-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter where in the UK people come from, they all say much the same thing -that's it's a lot better.

Wellington isn't great, but it's far from the worst in NZ. It would standout in the UK though
Wellington is similar to southern England coastal resorts - not bad ,maybe a C rating - but i hear Wellington is terribly windy and in a chilly climate such as that it wil also feel very unpleasant . Try convincing some other sort

Old 05-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Vancouver and Portland get even more drizzle, but not so many complaints.
That is strange - sounds like the London /Paris situation but in reverse

Old 05-22-2017, 01:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,557,678 times
Quote:
a friend of mine lived in Auckland ,he said it was a lot better - that goes without saying . I don't know anyone else who has spent time there . NZ folk i have spoken too always ramble on about how 'good' the weather is even if they live in Invercargill - i think they feel inferior to their cousins across the sea down there

But i doubt anyone from SE England would say how great it was if they moved to Christchurch . They might say it's marginally better . Which it is .

I wouldn't notice the difference in C'church , apart from the 3 winter months where it would be slightly sunnier (and obviously lighter) . Summers would be a tad cooler .but once again i doubt i would notice.

The UV down there is very high - i wonder if that has an impact on how warm it feels - it shouldn't do !

NZ and England both tepid climates - live with it
Even Christchurch receives praises from Brits, which is really saying something, as I dislike the climate there.

Invercargill do have an unusually inflated view of the climate own there -it's "interesting" I guess.

NZ and England don't have the same climate. Parts of NZ are somewhat like the UK, but for the most part NZ has more in common with NW Spain/Portugal than the UK. My climate is much closer to Porto's climate, than Portsmouth's climate, for example.

I do live with my tepid climate, and I love it -comfortable swimming for 4 months of the year, skiing for 5 months, fruit in the garden year round. It suits me well.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,082,904 times
Quote:
That is strange - sounds like the London /Paris situation but in reverse
Portland and Seattle get the same amount of rain. Vancouver is the coldest and wettest. But Portland is the sunniest and warmest in summer.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Even Christchurch receives praises from Brits, which is really saying something, as I dislike the climate there.

Invercargill do have an unusually inflated view of the climate own there -it's "interesting" I guess.

NZ and England don't have the same climate. Parts of NZ are somewhat like the UK, but for the most part NZ has more in common with NW Spain/Portugal than the UK. My climate is much closer to Porto's climate, than Portsmouth's climate, for example.

I do live with my tepid climate, and I love it -comfortable swimming for 4 months of the year, skiing for 5 months, fruit in the garden year round. It suits me well.
My point is that NZ's summers are generally as weak as south-east England's, and mentally-stable Brits would not be amazed by any of your big-city summers.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Christchurch will receive praise - where i am receives praise from other Brits . Scottish esp.

Where are these Brits from ? they can' t be from south east or southern England _ unless they are just liking the weather period . Also ,are you seeing them on nice days out ? have you been out on a chilly,rainy, winters day and asked them ?

Your climate Nleson isn't bad at all - but we are talking Wellington and Christchurch are we not ?

I already knew that Nelson and Auckland are better overall than the UK .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather